IGNORED

Aston Villa's Allocation/Sold (Merged)

Never to the dark side

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think Villa have any more glory hunting fans from around the country than other big clubs - including Sheff Weds who have supporters clubs based all over the UK and beyond....and we didn’t play Wednesday away in 1990 - we played them up there in 1991 but the crowd was nowhere near “40k plus” - it was just over 30k, so not sure which game you are thinking of as we didn’t play a league game at Hillsborough at all from 1980 to 1991....but I totally agree they are a great club and their away followings are incredibly impressive....

Ok, I stand corrected on the crowd figure, it was 30k but felt like 40k plus.

It was a Tuesday night game and we were just outside the play offs, we only had about 250 there, so the rest of the ground was just about full. Their kop was bouncing that day and it has stuck with me to this day.

Just looked it up, it was 91, so I was only one year out!.

Thanks for the kind words about Wednesday again, I agree our away support is great, the best thing about the club in my opinion. It's interesting how away followings from club to club differ, even when you take into consideration the home attendances. I think Derby get bigger home crowds in general than Wednesday but for some reason don't travel as well.

Sheffield is just about the most southern part of the North so is quite centrally placed. With Lancashire next door and the M1 we've got loads of away days within a couple of hours, hard to say how much of this is a factor. 

One of the most impressive away supports I've seen was when Man City were last in the Championship, would have been around 2002? They had the top and bottom tiers  of the west stand at Hillsborough, that dodgy corner we've got and a couple of strips of our North stand. Think we sold them 12k tickets. Incredible for a Championship game in the seated area. 

28 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

One of the most impressive away supports I've seen was when Man City were last in the Championship, would have been around 2002? They had the top and bottom tiers  of the west stand at Hillsborough, that dodgy corner we've got and a couple of strips of our North stand. Think we sold them 12k tickets. Incredible for a Championship game in the seated area. 

Was intrigued by this so had a look into it, attendance that day was just under 26k so unless you had 14k home fans... and this article refers to 5,000 away fans numerous times. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-2-manchester-city-1190737

3 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Was intrigued by this so had a look into it, attendance that day was just under 26k so unless you had 14k home fans... and this article refers to 5,000 away fans numerous times. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-2-manchester-city-1190737

Hmm, odd. Remember being there and seeing them, I'm going to have to have to look into this now as I could have sworn this happened. 

49 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Thanks for the kind words about Wednesday again, I agree our away support is great, the best thing about the club in my opinion. It's interesting how away followings from club to club differ, even when you take into consideration the home attendances. I think Derby get bigger home crowds in general than Wednesday but for some reason don't travel as well.

Sheffield is just about the most southern part of the North so is quite centrally placed. With Lancashire next door and the M1 we've got loads of away days within a couple of hours, hard to say how much of this is a factor. 

Is it F ***?

The north starts the minute you go over Bristol Bridge and head to the dark side of Bristol.

Shame, in many ways, we never have to play them anymore... we could sing you dirty northern bastards to 'em if we ever did.

Proud South Bristolian, in case anyone missed it

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

I know we lost and the weather was good . I think I was still in shock after a week in turkey when Dennis wise scored and we won 1 nil   Scary scary times so must have been early may 

Just checked and May '91 we lost 3-1 so seems right, and they did go up so I think it is the game I'm thinking of. Couple of things I remember, the Aizlewood tackle that would get him sent off now, and being asked over the PA to leave as we were spoiling the celebrations as we were still singing. We had a pirate coach so after we left we didn't go far before we stopped in a pub to watch the game and have a beer, got some funny looks from the local Wednesday fans.

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just checked and May '91 we lost 3-1 so seems right, and they did go up so I think it is the game I'm thinking of. Couple of things I remember, the Aizlewood tackle that would get him sent off now, and being asked over the PA to leave as we were spoiling the celebrations as we were still singing. We had a pirate coach so after we left we didn't go far before we stopped in a pub to watch the game and have a beer, got some funny looks from the local Wednesday fans.

:gasmask:

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Is it F ***?

The north starts the minute you go over Bristol Bridge and head to the dark side of Bristol.

Shame, in many ways, we never have to play them anymore... we could sing you dirty northern bastards to 'em if we ever did.

Proud South Bristolian, in case anyone missed it

You’re right, it’s grim up North once you cross the Avon

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Ok, I stand corrected on the crowd figure, it was 30k but felt like 40k plus.

It was a Tuesday night game and we were just outside the play offs, we only had about 250 there, so the rest of the ground was just about full. Their kop was bouncing that day and it has stuck with me to this day.

Just looked it up, it was 91, so I was only one year out!.

Was that when ron atkinson was in charge. ,? If so was there  couldn't get a beer anywhere near the ground

22 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Can't wait for the big clubs in this division to get back to the top division, Leeds, Villa, Wednesday, Forest even including us a big city team. Much better for the competition in the Prem and commercial value to have the biggest and most important cities represented rather than the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth.

Yet ironically if Villa do go up they won't get a 3.4k away allocation anywhere in the PL.

Maximum of 3k is the norm for PL games whatever the capacity.

20 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Wasn’t the Sheffield Wednesday game away in 91 midweek ? 

18 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes.

18 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Trevor Francis their manager ?

It was. I went on CATS and first the coach had to stop before we left Bristol because someone had chucked up and when we got going again we had a puncture on the M5 and had to wait for a replacement bus. We got there at half time and by then Wednesday were 3(?) up - Hirst and Francis had both scored I think. We lost 3-1 but saw the best goal of the game by The Chief.

I think it was either the game where they clinched the title or possibly the one after. 

I`m pretty sure that`s how the day unfolded but stand to be corrected by folks with better memories than mine!

18 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

AV are 100% the last team I want to see get promoted.

It's the total arrogance about them. The yippe yippe  whatever the *** they sing, the "empty seats, shit support" song. The way they say Villuh. Everything really.

Most annoying fans in the Championship, without any doubt.

Fair enough, although the ‘Yippee ay yah, yippee ay yo’ song is a tribute to their fans who have passed away - nothing arrogant about that and they’ve sung it forever...nice touch I think....

18 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

18 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Hmm, odd. Remember being there and seeing them, I'm going to have to have to look into this now as I could have sworn this happened. 

Surely the stand behind the goal and that weird corner bit, doesn’t hold 12,000...?!

23 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Was that the 3-1 where they won promotion that night, I think Aizlewood nearly cut Francis in half on the half way line.

Wayne Alison scored one of the best City goals I’ve seen in that game. Absolute beauty of a strike!

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Wayne Alison scored one of the best City goals I’ve seen in that game. Absolute beauty of a strike!

Yes I remember that goal absolute worldy. Same game Mark Aizlewood took out Trevor Francis neck high on the half way line and only got booked!

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely the stand behind the goal and that weird corner bit, doesn’t hold 12,000...?!

Yeah, I was way off. I thought those stands combined with a small section of the North would be around 12.

The West stands hold 6.6k, with the corner it's around 7. They were given a few hundred on the North, and when I say "they" I've realised it wasn't Man City it was Wolves, the last game of that season in 2002.

All in all it wasn't a very successful post. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd forgotten that.

1 hour ago, bakes said:

Yes I remember that goal absolute worldy. Same game Mark Aizlewood took out Trevor Francis neck high on the half way line and only got booked!

Fair challenge I thought :whistle:

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It was. I went on CATS and first the coach had to stop before we left Bristol because someone had chucked up and when we got going again we had a puncture on the M5 and had to wait for a replacement bus. We got there at half time and by then Wednesday were 3(?) up - Hirst and Francis had both scored I think. We lost 3-1 but saw the best goal of the game by The Chief.

I think it was either the game where they clinched the title or possibly the one after. 

I`m pretty sure that`s how the day unfolded but stand to be corrected by folks with better memories than mine!

They finished third that season....got promoted but didn’t clinch the title

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, they finished 3rd that season, five points behind West Ham....they would have had far more than 31k there that night if they could have clinched promotion....

That 3-1 game was their promotion clinching game. 

Hence the pitch invasion at the final whistle..!

Archived