IGNORED

east end

leader

this is something that really annoys me we must be  the only football club that stick the home fans into the corner of the ground surely it would help the team if they were behind the goal like other clubs its so quiet down the gate now,,, my mate from blackburn said he couldnt believe how many stewards was around the city fans in the corner ???? treated like away fans dreadful

10 minutes ago, leader said:

this is something that really annoys me we must be  the only football club that stick the home fans into the corner of the ground surely it would help the team if they were behind the goal like other clubs its so quiet down the gate now,,, my mate from blackburn said he couldnt believe how many stewards was around the city fans in the corner ???? treated like away fans dreadful

The noise from the away fans is down to where they’re located - in the Atyeo. The roof pushes the sound towards the pitch.

Ideally the signing section should be in there and the away fans in the corner of the SS but there are logistical reasons as to why that won’t happen.

19 minutes ago, leader said:

Pretty sure Palace have their “singing” section in the corner of their ground?

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The noise from the away fans is down to where they’re located - in the Atyeo. The roof pushes the sound towards the pitch.

Ideally the signing section should be in there and the away fans in the corner of the SS but there are logistical reasons as to why that won’t happen.

What ... you mean the same Atyeo Stand that has been slated on here for years for having crap acoustics?

Its the fans who make the noise not where they are situated.

26 minutes ago, City37 said:

What ... you mean the same Atyeo Stand that has been slated on here for years for having crap acoustics?

Its the fans who make the noise not where they are situated.

Nothing wrong with the Atyeo acoustics - it’s the enthusiastic fans in there that make the noise.

1 hour ago, leader said:

There is a reason there are lots of stewards in that corner......

1 hour ago, leader said:

Maybe you all should get season tickets in the middle of the south then? 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

from the south stand you rarely hear away fans, the sound doesn’t travel at all well. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

from the south stand you rarely hear away fans, the sound doesn’t travel at all well. 

I’m much closer to the Atyeo in the Dolman and no matter which club they support the away fans are louder and far clearer than the PA system..........

They often chant “is this a library?” So they obviously can’t hear our home fans....

Football has changed over the years and so has the crowd reaction and involvement.

Gone are the days when the ball went quickly from end to end with hectic goalmouth scrambles and thundering, dangerous tackles. Those games produced instant crowd reaction, not led by fans but the incidents. Past are the dangerous hours crushed and hurled around concrete terracing.

The game now is more technical, more interesting than exciting, much fewer criminally dangerous tackles. 

That's how it is so if one wants spine tingling and thrilling entertainment, it's time for you to find something else.

I stand in the corner and lets be clear with the way it currently is it would make a blind bit of difference where you base it.What would help is if half the others would actual join in with the chanting instead of only moments of excitement. There is too many people in there talking about what they're having for tea with the mates and a load of entertain me's in there for it to make any difference at the moment. I'm not one to tell people how they should watch football but whats the point in buying a ticket in a section that is suppose to help with the atmosphere, why not just buy a ticket near it if you want to be around it and let someone who actually will contribute have that ticket. Ever since the turn of the year its been crap

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Football has changed over the years and so has the crowd reaction and involvement.

Gone are the days when the ball went quickly from end to end with hectic goalmouth scrambles and thundering, dangerous tackles. Those games produced instant crowd reaction, not led by fans but the incidents. Past are the dangerous hours crushed and hurled around concrete terracing.

The game now is more technical, more interesting than exciting, much fewer criminally dangerous tackles. 

That's how it is so if one wants spine tingling and thrilling entertainment, it's time for you to find something else.

It's a fair point actually - if you look at the Blackburn match for instance, what a difference having a crap ref made to the atmosphere - luckily the ref didn't cost us in the end, but during his 'incidents' the ground was united with the singing and chanting, even the booing of the ref - it was absolutely buzzing at the time. Loved it  :0)

4 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

I stand in the corner and lets be clear with the way it currently is it would make a blind bit of difference where you base it.What would help is if half the others would actual join in with the chanting instead of only moments of excitement. There is too many people in there talking about what they're having for tea with the mates and a load of entertain me's in there for it to make any difference at the moment. I'm not one to tell people how they should watch football but whats the point in buying a ticket in a section that is suppose to help with the atmosphere, why not just buy a ticket near it if you want to be around it and let someone who actually will contribute have that ticket. Ever since the turn of the year its been crap

Whilst I agree totally with the buy ticket near it - there does not seem to be any empty seats near it so people who wanted to be near had to buy tickets within - I presume?!

It does need to be elsewhere to ever work well I think.

15 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Couldn’t agree more. I saw one bloke in there actually watching the football. Times have changed.

I’m much closer to the Atyeo in the Dolman and no matter which club they support the away fans are louder and far clearer than the PA system..........

They often chant “is this a library?” So they obviously can’t hear our home fans....

Oh I agree, the few times I’ve sat in the lansdown you can hear them, but not from the south stand much. 

I just wish someone would come up with something more original or witty these days....I cringe a bit when I hear it, whether it’s being sung about us or when we sing it away.

Not that I think there needs to be a sub-forum on here for ideas ?

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I just wish someone would come up with something more original or witty these days....I cringe a bit when I hear it, whether it’s being sung about us or when we sing it away.

Not that I think there needs to be a sub-forum on here for ideas ?

Are we in outer space - no sound from the human race?

Its different !!

1. We are not, and never have been, the most demonstrative or "passionate," or excitable, or cocky or showy or "needy" area of the country. In my experience.

I've been around the UK watching football and to gigs, and crowds/audiences in Bristol are nothing like as enthusiastic/religiously hyped up as Glasweigans, as enthusiastic/emotional and sentimental as Geordies or Scousers, as shouty/"look how loud we can shout and swear!" as people in say Stoke or Leeds, not as "singy" as the Welsh (not that you'd know it at Cardiff), not as self-deprecating and humorous as say Man City or Sheff Weds, not as violently aggressive/territorial as Millwall and some others (much as many on here would like to think we are, or once were, or might still be, if only Downsy'd stop embarrassing us). We are nothing like as obnoxious and "look at us; we're wonderful, you wish you were us" as most London clubs, and one or two northern clubs/once famous clubs (hi, Villa fans!)

2. We are not as regionally prowed and anti-south east England as Liverpool, Manchester, Yorkshire, Wales etc. We are laid back. And even a little embarrassed about ourselves (witness the cultural "shaming" and derision of the "yokel" accent). We lack the burning rage and desire of economically deprived areas of the country to stick two fingers up at London and make a noise about how wonderful they are (even if we're not, really). We're just not that into ourselves.

3. The greatest contribution to popular music from this region - Massive Attack's 1991 album "Blue Lines" - consisted of three Bristol kiddies whispering, mumbling, stuttering and er, talking, not singing. Meanwhile, a bird from elsewhere was brought in to belt out some words at the top of her voice. Then, on subsequent albums, more birds from anywhere other than Bristol were brought in to stand at the front under the spotlight and do the singing, while the Bristol kiddies continued to whisper, mumble and talk in the shadows, or, in Portishead's case, scratch some records with a needle and make some fiddly/widdly/scratchy noises. 

4. Bristol is, and was, a quieter place than Sheffield, or Birmingham/the Black Country. They all worked in filthy, bloody noisy industrial places and had to "SHOUT!" just to hear each other, and their hearing went, and so they had to shout on a Saturday at Brammall Lane and the Hawthorns, and then went on to invent Heavy Metal and Industrial Synth music and so on, so loud so that they could hear it, what with their severely impaired hearing (Phil Oakley, singer - note: singer, not mumbler/whisperer - from Sheffield, had his hair cut accordingly, so he could hear properly from his one good ear). Meanwhile, we were mumbling and whispering, and inventing "trip hop." All true, this.

4. For lots of reasons, we are simply just not as into football as other areas of the country, possibly because of some of the above (although not so much the whispering and the mumbling of point 3).

It is, therefore, excellent and encouraging that we are currently attracting the size of crowds that we are. 

5. Our chins do go down on our chests too quickly and too easily, we doubt ourselves, we are crestfallen, when we go a goal behind. But that does not mean we only sing when we're winning; we don't always do that, either. So fair play to us for that.

We do seem, often, to start games well, with some decent noise and a bit of enthusiasm; but this either stops on about 20 minutes or so, or with the opposition taking the lead. We lack resilience, belief, a sense of humour and a sense of proportion (if we lose, it's not quite, ever, the end of the season/club/dominance over Rovers/world; we can still enjoy ourselves/shout for our team/take the piss out of ourselves/ call the ref a ****), as well as all the stuff mentioned in points 1, 2, 4 etc. We really could have a bit more fun, and get more from our team, and more out of our Saturday, by sticking by them a bit more when they are struggling; by being a bit more emotional/sentimental/enthusiastic, or if you like, Geordie/Scouse. 

6. Wherever we put the heroic S82, who battle against all of this, wherever we put them in the ground, they are still going to be Bristol City fans from Bristol and the surrounding areas + Sweden, mumbling, whispering, staring at the floor and feeling sorry for ourselves when we ain't beating Leeds Utd.

7. We're just a bit quiet @leader wherever we are. We have our moments, of course we do, but we always have been, and likely always will be, a bit quiet. Oh well.

8. We are not, yet, however, Reading. But we are, I fear, going that way.

9. Perhaps we can bus in some birds from elsewhere, to stop us becoming Reading.

7 hours ago, leader said:

There was never going to be another Eastend. Should have gone back to A/B. 

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

That's how it is so if one wants spine tingling and thrilling entertainment.

I have just finished sorting my sock drawer and believe I've found something else . 

7 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Surely though, if there was never going to be another east end, there would never had been another block a and b of what it was 30 years ago?

what benefits would it have been going there, compared to now? Bar being next to the away fans. 

3 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

432 tickets available for E34 (Dolman A) for the Sheffield United game at the moment - nothing to stop 'singers' moving over there en masse if they want to.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

1. We are not, and never have been, the most demonstrative or "passionate," or excitable, or cocky or showy or "needy" area of the country. In my experience.

I've been around the UK watching football and to gigs, and crowds/audiences in Bristol are nothing like as enthusiastic/religiously hyped up as Glasweigans, as enthusiastic/emotional and sentimental as Geordies or Scousers, as shouty/"look how loud we can shout and swear!" as people in say Stoke or Leeds, not as "singy" as the Welsh (not that you'd know it at Cardiff), not as self-deprecating and humorous as say Man City or Sheff Weds, not as violently aggressive/territorial as Millwall and some others (much as many on here would like to think we are, or once were, or might still be, if only Downsy'd stop embarrassing us). We are nothing like as obnoxious and "look at us; we're wonderful, you wish you were us" as most London clubs, and one or two northern clubs/once famous clubs (hi, Villa fans!)

2. We are not as regionally prowed and anti-south east England as Liverpool, Manchester, Yorkshire, Wales etc. We are laid back. And even a little embarrassed about ourselves (witness the cultural "shaming" and derision of the "yokel" accent). We lack the burning rage and desire of economically deprived areas of the country to stick two fingers up at London and make a noise about how wonderful they are (even if we're not, really). We're just not that into ourselves.

3. The greatest contribution to popular music from this region - Massive Attack's 1991 album "Blue Lines" - consisted of three Bristol kiddies whispering, mumbling, stuttering and er, talking, not singing. Meanwhile, a bird from elsewhere was brought in to belt out some words at the top of her voice. Then, on subsequent albums, more birds from anywhere other than Bristol were brought in to stand at the front under the spotlight and do the singing, while the Bristol kiddies continued to whisper, mumble and talk in the shadows, or, in Portishead's case, scratch some records with a needle and make some fiddly/widdly/scratchy noises. 

4. Bristol is, and was, a quieter place than Sheffield, or Birmingham/the Black Country. They all worked in filthy, bloody noisy industrial places and had to "SHOUT!" just to hear each other, and their hearing went, and so they had to shout on a Saturday at Brammall Lane and the Hawthorns, and then went on to invent Heavy Metal and Industrial Synth music and so on, so loud so that they could hear it, what with their severely impaired hearing (Phil Oakley, singer - note: singer, not mumbler/whisperer - from Sheffield, had his hair cut accordingly, so he could hear properly from his one good ear). Meanwhile, we were mumbling and whispering, and inventing "trip hop." All true, this.

4. For lots of reasons, we are simply just not as into football as other areas of the country, possibly because of some of the above (although not so much the whispering and the mumbling of point 3).

It is, therefore, excellent and encouraging that we are currently attracting the size of crowds that we are. 

5. Our chins do go down on our chests too quickly and too easily, we doubt ourselves, we are crestfallen, when we go a goal behind. But that does not mean we only sing when we're winning; we don't always do that, either. So fair play to us for that.

We do seem, often, to start games well, with some decent noise and a bit of enthusiasm; but this either stops on about 20 minutes or so, or with the opposition taking the lead. We lack resilience, belief, a sense of humour and a sense of proportion (if we lose, it's not quite, ever, the end of the season/club/dominance over Rovers/world; we can still enjoy ourselves/shout for our team/take the piss out of ourselves/ call the ref a ****), as well as all the stuff mentioned in points 1, 2, 4 etc. We really could have a bit more fun, and get more from our team, and more out of our Saturday, by sticking by them a bit more when they are struggling; by being a bit more emotional/sentimental/enthusiastic, or if you like, Geordie/Scouse. 

6. Wherever we put the heroic S82, who battle against all of this, wherever we put them in the ground, they are still going to be Bristol City fans from Bristol and the surrounding areas + Sweden, mumbling, whispering, staring at the floor and feeling sorry for ourselves when we ain't beating Leeds Utd.

7. We're just a bit quiet @leader wherever we are. We have our moments, of course we do, but we always have been, and likely always will be, a bit quiet. Oh well.

9. Perhaps we can bus in some birds from elsewhere, to stop us becoming Reading.

Back in the seventies the Press accused Bristolians of being ' fickle ' and doubted that we deserved a First Division club .

1 minute ago, AshtonPark said:

Surely though, if there was never going to be another east end, there would never had been another block a and b of what it was 30 years ago?

what benefits would it have been going there, compared to now? Bar being next to the away fans. 

Post was directed to Leader. He will understand. Singing sections are for Reading. Its the type of thing people were trying to get away from years back. 

6 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

absolutely spot on ! M o P, that is worth 10 likes?

Archived