IGNORED

More evidence the World has Gone Mad

Markman

Serena Williams loses a game of tennis, coach admits he was coaching , she has a strop, rants at ref smashes racket etc

She then states she is a mother and so would not cheat (but would call an umpire a cheat and smash a racket to bits) and afterwards starts on about how she is fighting for women's rights 

She lost a game of tennis and got ratty - end of - how on earth can this then be linked and some commentators try to justify it because she is a champion of women's rights

When I beat my brother at table tennis and he threw his bat through a window - was he fighting for men's rights?

5 minutes ago, Markman said:

Serena Williams loses a game of tennis, coach admits he was coaching , she has a strop, rants at ref smashes racket etc

She then states she is a mother and so would not cheat (but would call an umpire a cheat and smash a racket to bits) and afterwards starts on about how she is fighting for women's rights 

She lost a game of tennis and got ratty - end of - how on earth can this then be linked and some commentators try to justify it because she is a champion of women's rights

When I beat my brother at table tennis and he threw his bat through a window - was he fighting for men's rights?

What her outburst did was deflect the limelight off Naomi Osaki her first Grand Slam win and the first Japanese woman to win such a prestigious title.

I saw the story on BBC news this morning and it was all about Williams getting into a strop and interviewing her after the match. I would much rather have heard from Osaki........

Typical sore loser and I do feel so sorry for Osaki. I`m afraid Williams did herself no favours there at all and it appears most of the ordinary people commenting think the same. The other `insiders` that have commented in support will no doubt have been thinking they may have to come across her at tournaments in the future and are keeping their powder dry so she doesn`t refuse interviews and the like or rip into them for not being on her side - I suspect she could be a nasty enemy to have.

Man or woman aside she acted like a spoilt brat. I guess she hasn’t experience much failure but surely as a sportsperson she has to be gracious in defeat as much as lapping up the adulation of winning.

I like many others went back to work only a couple of months after having a baby, and I certainly did not want to be treated any differently because I was a mother among the majority who weren’t. I made very sure I wasn’t a ‘Baby Bore’ and even if I had been up all night wouldn’t use it as a reason or excuse why I couldn’t be totally professional in my work. Serena should ditch  her team of nannies, PA’s etc and experience the real world for a bit.

Direct quote was 'I can see how you would think that's coaching' so she admits she knows why the call was made but then calls him a thief and a liar. To then accuse an official of sexism is massive and really she's getting away with it because of who she is, she's a role model and shouldn't be acting like that. To top it off her fine was $17,000 when she's just won $1.8m which in itself is a piss take. Cricketers for example are fined 20 to 50 percent depending how serious the violation is. 

7 hours ago, RedM said:

Man or woman aside she acted like a spoilt brat. I guess she hasn’t experience much failure but surely as a sportsperson she has to be gracious in defeat as much as lapping up the adulation of winning.

I like many others went back to work only a couple of months after having a baby, and I certainly did not want to be treated any differently because I was a mother among the majority who weren’t. I made very sure I wasn’t a ‘Baby Bore’ and even if I had been up all night wouldn’t use it as a reason or excuse why I couldn’t be totally professional in my work. Serena should ditch  her team of nannies, PA’s etc and experience the real world for a bit.

She has form on this I am afraid. In the US open semi final in 2009 she had a foot fault given against her when she was defending a match point and ended up calling the line judge a racist and threw her toys out of the pram.

Incidentally her opponent that day was Kim Clijsters who was a wild card because she had just had a baby like Williams. Clijsters went on to be not only the first wild card to win a grand slam but also the first Mum to do that. She also won the US open the following year. If I was Serena Williams I would be on the phone to Kim asking her for some advice on how to become a model professional and a Mum at the same time.

On 09/09/2018 at 09:42, Markman said:

Is he black ? 

The WTA (which I assume is Womens Tennis Association) have now backed her claims of sexism saying it wouldn't have happened if it were a male player. Sorry but what the shit?! The coach admitted he was trying to coach her, she may not have wanted it etc but as her coach she's responsible for it so its the correct call and the officials followed the protocol. So just because they don't penalise the men as they should its okay for her to get away with it as well? Totally the wrong message to be sending for an official body to back a player in such a way.

35 minutes ago, hodge said:

The WTA (which I assume is Womens Tennis Association) have now backed her claims of sexism saying it wouldn't have happened if it were a male player. Sorry but what the shit?! The coach admitted he was trying to coach her, she may not have wanted it etc but as her coach she's responsible for it so its the correct call and the officials followed the protocol. So just because they don't penalise the men as they should its okay for her to get away with it as well? Totally the wrong message to be sending for an official body to back a player in such a way.

Lots of agendas coming into play here and people using the incident to further theirs.

22 hours ago, hodge said:

Of course they are going to back her... She is their prized asset. Consider that one of the things she said is that the umpire would never be involved in one of her games ever again! She holds all the cards when it come to womens tennis as they are their biggest draw and she knows it. The WTA also continuously backed sharapova over her drugs scandal... 

The same umpire has given codes against male players in the past and frankly she has a history of throwing her toys out - She has previously been kicked out of a tournament  for threatening a line judge, scolded ball girls/boys and has multiple code violations for breaking rackets. She called this umpire a cheat - That is a serious allegation against a game official. More serious than being argued with and sworn at.

Also the argument that male players get away with it.... female players also get away with it a lot. The argument sits as well as saying its unfair as other people were speeding but only I got a ticket. I was still breaking the law!

I'm not saying there isn't any sexism (or for that matter racism) in the tennis world but I can't help but feel that players reputations proceed them in sport and it  is more likely that the umpire has a dislike/preconception of Williams herself more than being a sexist.

One last point... People are all of sudden declaring her the worlds great athlete... Shes not even the worlds greatest tennis player.

23 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Of course they are going to back her... She is their prized asset. Consider that one of the things she said is that the umpire would never be involved in one of her games ever again! She holds all the cards when it come to womens tennis as they are their biggest draw and she knows it. The WTA also continuously backed sharapova over her drugs scandal... 

The same umpire has given codes against male players in the past and frankly she has a history of throwing her toys out - She has previously been kicked out of a tournament  for threatening a line judge, scolded ball girls/boys and has multiple code violations for breaking rackets. She called this umpire a cheat - That is a serious allegation against a game official. More serious than being argued with and sworn at.

Also the argument that male players get away with it.... female players also get away with it a lot. The argument sits as well as saying its unfair as other people were speeding but only I got a ticket. I was still breaking the law!

I'm not saying there isn't any sexism (or for that matter racism) in the tennis world but I can't help but feel that players reputations proceed them in sport and it  is more likely that the umpire has a dislike/preconception of Williams herself more than being a sexist.

One last point... People are all of sudden declaring her the worlds great athlete... Shes not even the worlds greatest tennis player.

Too right, true equality, no male and female split. Williams would be 1000 in the world or something and worth piss all.

8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Excuse my stupidity but how can it be labelled as 'sexism' when her opponent, who gained from the decision, was also female? :dunno:

The sexism claim was that she was being penalised where men who do the same get away with it. The fact is she accused one of the strictest umpires who has a track record of penalising no matter who the person is. 

Archived