Welch, Moller, Heaton

Orr, Carey

Barnard, Scott

Taylor, Collier, Merrick, Hunter

Murray, Gavin

Walsh, Smith

Shelton, Doherty, Tinnion, Gow

Taylor, Goater, Cheesley, Ritchie

What these squads are pointing out to me is how we have really struggled for decent RBs down the years. LBs there are about ten that could be in there.

Sweeney, Whitehead?

31 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

first game..1971

GK: Cashley, Shaw, Basso

RB: Sweeney, Orr, LB: Scott, Bell, CB: Hunter, Collier, Merrick, Flint

RW: Gavin, Whitehead, LW: Walsh, D.Smith, CM: Gow, M.Elliott, Tinnion, Newman,

ST: Harford, Ritchie, Cole, Cheesley

That’s pretty similar to mine.  Don’t think I saw Cashley in goal for City, was Shaw (Cashley in Ressies) by then.

13 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think I'd have to go back to 77 or 78 and it might as well be 1878 as 1978. Er, Gerry Gow is about as far as I get before random player names pop up: Alan Nichols, Ricky Chandler, Les Carter, Forbes Philipson Masters. Someone stop me.

Paul Stevens, Errington Kelly....

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Sweeney, Whitehead?

That’s pretty similar to mine.  Don’t think I saw Cashley in goal for City, was Shaw (Cashley in Ressies) by then.

Paul Stevens, Errington Kelly....

Gerry Sweeney I`ll give you - I did think of him after I posted. I always think of Clive Whitehead as a winger not a RB although I know he did play there. You have to admit though, it is a position we have struggled with over the years - particularly when you think of all the brilliant LBs we`ve had in that time.

43 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Gerry Sweeney I`ll give you - I did think of him after I posted. I always think of Clive Whitehead as a winger not a RB although I know he did play there. You have to admit though, it is a position we have struggled with over the years - particularly when you think of all the brilliant LBs we`ve had in that time.

Agree, although I do think left footers always look stylish...you never hear anyone say “wand of a right foot” ?

My first game was in 1981, but I was only about 8 so can't really remember what many of the players from then were like.

GK: Welch, Basso, Moller

RB: Orr, Locke

LB: Bell, Scott (agonised about whether to include Barnard rather than Bell but sentiment got the better of me).

CB: Flint, Shaun Taylor, Carey, Newman

RW: Murray, Gavin

CM: Tinnion, Shelton and two Elliotts (Wade and the first season version of Marvin).

LW: Walsh, Smith

CF: Bob Taylor, Goater, Harford, Cole

Archived