IGNORED

... they're here, they're there they're every where, empty seats (Merged)

hantsred

An insight into what we know goes on but very few clubs will acknowledge/publish. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45158878

So why should we care if the clubs should be forced to publish such information? Well because it is truer barometer of the fans connection with the club.  A few hundred missing season ticket holders can easily be put down to personal circumstances on any given day...but when its thousands you have dis-satisfied fan base willing to relinquish their seats in protest against the club or what is being served up on the pitch.

I was interested to read how many clubs rely so heavily on Matchday revenue. Obviously owner injections excluded but 35% of our turnover is quite impressive at first glance. I wonder what the impact of bringing merchandise in-house had versus say, the increase in corporate revenue vs. 3 years ago. FWIW I think that % should drop because of the Dunder deal, whether that’s to below 10%, 20% or just 30% May give us an idea of the real value of the deal.

I would say this causes a slight issue with the £20 campaign - a club the size of say Bury will need to strike a fine balance between affordability and profitability when it sets their prices (tickets & shirts etc). Presuming they don’t have a massive corporate income.

If you lower the price of football at the top, who is going to go Gigg Lane over the City of Manchester if there was a difference of £2/3 in the ticket? There is a lot more pressure on the little guys to offer a Matchday experience as well as keep things ticking over.

Could the teams at the bottom dictate the prices at the top by introducing a cap? No, because we wouldn’t want our ticket prices to be at the mercy of Rovers just because we’re performing better on the pitch. But I do think the number of different clubs involved goes some way to explaining why a happy medium hasn’t been struck yet.

I remember a thread on here about this before.

Think general rule of thumb is when you see published attendance- subtract 3-4k from it and you should arrive in the right range of real attendance. Well it seems to be the case at AG anyway a lot of the time- unsure about other clubs.

Nonetheless, clubs to make themselves look good I guess, choose to publish the number of sold tickets- but they will have the real totals as well- legally obliged to I'm sure. 

Recent events

As well as those events listed above, Ashton Gate is of course a sports venue, and over the past few months we've catered to some huge attendances.

Recent football attendances included:

Nottingham Forest 18,246
Middlesbrough 16,075
Blackburn Rovers TBC

Recent rugby attendances:

Bath Rugby TBC
The published attendances for those 2 were in fact:

Forest- 22,395
Middlesborough- 19,455

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think general rule of thumb is when you see published attendance- subtract 3-4k from it and you should arrive in the right range of real attendance. Well it seems to be the case at AG anyway a lot of the time- unsure about other clubs.

Nonetheless, clubs to make themselves look good I guess, choose to publish the number of sold tickets- but they will have the real totals as well- legally obliged to I'm sure.

can't agree with that, I'm convinced we have under published attendances, especially in the days when it wasn't all seater, the crowd actually laughed one day when the attendance was announced.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

can't agree with that, I'm convinced we have under published attendances, especially in the days when it wasn't all seater, the crowd actually laughed one day when the attendance was announced.

I'm thinkwe might have too- but not lately.

I remember even back as recently early 2000's in League when it was 9-10k early season when it seemed or looked at least maybe 3k higher.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Definitely when it wasn't all seater. Back in the first division days the crowd would laugh most match days when the attendance was announced as a few thousand quid was avoiding the inland revenue !

with us I always think it's the opposite, for instance they gave our last attendance as 19.750 odd I thought it was more like 21.500, city have quite often given a LOWER figure than are actually there in my opinion.

In the old day, yes. Definitely happened. 

These days there’s no way it’s possible without fairly serious fraud. 

That still happens today. The laughing when Rovers announce their attendance, anyway..! 

44 minutes ago, Taz said:

That's nothing to do with the attendance, just coincides with what's on the pitch....

I regularly see people “laughing” at their attendances on here. 

The laughter created by the what’s on the pitch is perfectly suited to a venue that resembles a circus. 

It's not just at AG where the 'official' attendance (tickets sold) is much higher than the number actually in the ground, it's happening all over the country.

At one West Ham game the announced official attendance was almost 17,000 more than the number in the ground.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1016652/West-Ham-attendance-London-Stadium

• Admin
On 12/09/2018 at 10:51, Mr Popodopolous said:

The published attendances for those 2 were in fact:

Forest- 22,395
Middlesborough- 19,455

@Mr Popodopolous Do you have a link to the actual crowds?

I can remember seeing it on the bottom of some Bristol Sport page, but I can't find it now

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Mr Popodopolous Do you have a link to the actual crowds?

I can remember seeing it on the bottom of some Bristol Sport page, but I can't find it now

Remember seeing it on a site- maybe the same page Phantom?

https://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/events/

Recent events

As well as those events listed above, Ashton Gate is of course a sports venue, and over the past few months we've catered to some huge attendances.

Recent football attendances included:

Nottingham Forest 18,246
Middlesbrough 16,075
Blackburn Rovers TBC

Recent rugby attendances:

Bath Rugby TBC

Slightly disappointing it doesn't go back a bit further tbh.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Remember seeing it on a site- maybe the same page Phantom?

https://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/events/

Slightly disappointing it doesn't go back a bit further tbh.

The same link was on this thread giving many of the 'real' attendances last season.

Recent events does mean recent though and the link has been updated unfortunately, now the same information as the one above.

As stated on the thread though the Sheff. Weds. game had 7,000 fewer in the ground than the official attendance.

I remember back in the 70's when crowds were announced late in the second half (at many grounds I've been at, not always City related) there would be a general snigger go round the ground!

"Ey oop, today's attendance is 10,441"……... when it was clear to all that there were maybe 15,000+ crammed into Gigg Lane or Edgeley Park! 

Taxman, anyone?????                     ?  ?  ?

On 12/09/2018 at 10:57, pillred said:

Back when,apart from ST holders, all of the crowd paid cash at a turnstile that was a rather popular ploy,used by the vast majority of clubs.

Cant think why..........

9 hours ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I remember back in the 70's when crowds were announced late in the second half (at many grounds I've been at, not always City related) there would be a general snigger go round the ground!

"Ey oop, today's attendance is 10,441"……... when it was clear to all that there were maybe 15,000+ crammed into Gigg Lane or Edgeley Park! 

Taxman, anyone?????                     ?  ?  ?

There were times in the 80,s at the gate when the announced attendance was so laughable that the east end would spontaneously sing ‘tax fiddle’. I suspect it’s now very digital and more difficult to fix.

On 12/09/2018 at 12:09, Loon plage said:

Definitely when it wasn't all seater. Back in the first division days the crowd would laugh most match days when the attendance was announced as a few thousand quid was avoiding the inland revenue !

Was it that or a few thousand dissappearing into the pockets of the turnstile operator?

Archived