IGNORED

Torquay sack Gary Owers and appoint Gary Johnson

RedRock

15 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Only one man really

South West based, Experienced Conference Manager, Good contacts with BCFC who loan them lots of players, Available.

step forward Gary......

I thought you wanted them to offer Gary Owers his job back ! 

I think they will need a younger person who can give it the energy needed to kick them on .

At this level the boss does everything from picking the team to mowing the grass , GJ doesn't need that hassle.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, makes you wonder what they think they will achieve by bringing in a new one. Unless they can find someone cheaper than Owers to do a similar job I suppose?

I doubt Gary was earning a fortune so someone cheaper may be hard to find. I said the other day on another thread that they seem to be sleepwalking into oblivion - which I expect the new owners would be more than happy with.

I fear for their future TBH.

I live 8 miles away from Torquay and work with an avid Season Ticket holder who has gone for many many years. 

Sadly Gary Owers has never got the team going - and they have lacked any attacking flair 

They actually have a better squad this season than they have had for the last few years - they also have two of our U23 players on loan - Jake (wonder left foot) Andrews and Opi Edwards.

If Mr Johnson senior wanted a challenge I could see him getting them promoted- not sure the club could afford him!

Up the Gulls!!

6 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Odd he wasn’t a success. Thought he had the credentials to deliver myself.

On to the next. 

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree , many on here would have preferred him to LJ when we were on our losing streak.

It's a complicated business football and I wonder if their next manager will succeed where GO failed. 

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

All managers fail at Torquay. 

Like a lot of small clubs, they’re skint.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As Robbored said Torquay is a poison chalice for managers at present; I don't think any blame attaches to Owers.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, makes you wonder what they think they will achieve by bringing in a new one. Unless they can find someone cheaper than Owers to do a similar job I suppose?

Thought this had been done on here before. The owner of Torquay isn't interested in football or the football club. Playing the long game. The manager is irrelevant.

30 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I live 8 miles away from Torquay and work with an avid Season Ticket holder who has gone for many many years. 

Sadly Gary Owers has never got the team going - and they have lacked any attacking flair 

They actually have a better squad this season than they have had for the last few years - they also have two of our U23 players on loan - Jake (wonder left foot) Andrews and Opi Edwards.

If Mr Johnson senior wanted a challenge I could see him getting them promoted- not sure the club could afford him!

Up the Gulls!!

Bath City fans used to say the same about Owners, was too defensive and the team did not have any attacking flair. Been to watch Bath a couple of times this season and they appear to be playing a decent brand of football now.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

How many are a club allowed to loan from us? I imagine if GJ goes there then they will be loaning even more of our players than he did for Cheltenham, considering what a poor team Torquay look.

I think its 3 but we've so many loaned out I can't see any more going. 

Plus, remember Torquay are in the 6th tier now,  ideally we'd want our players playing at a higher level than that.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Thought this had been done on here before. The owner of Torquay isn't interested in football or the football club. Playing the long game. The manager is irrelevant.

Yes, Clark Osborne is the owner- serial ground rip off merchant, lots of plans/talk about a new ground but the objective is to aquire a piece of development land (the ground) on the cheap.

Wasn't he involved with the Stadium Co. that (effectively) forced the Gas out of Eastville so they could sell the site to Ikea......name rings a bell.

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As Robbored said Torquay is a poison chalice for managers at present; I don't think any blame attaches to Owers.

Exactly. Club in a total mess no one could have done more with less than nothing. However there comes a point when a new fall guy/wizard needs to come in. 

I would have the guy here in some capacity in a heartbeat. Mark my words.

8 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Yes, Clark Osborne is the owner- serial ground rip off merchant, lots of plans/talk about a new ground but the objective is to aquire a piece of development land (the ground) on the cheap.

Wasn't he involved with the Stadium Co. that (effectively) forced the Gas out of Eastville so they could sell the site to Ikea......name rings a bell.

Not all bad then. 

18 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't think any blame attaches to Owers.

Not sure how you can say that, the fans definitely wanted him out, they certainly blame him.

Also, the club have sacked him, so they certainly blame him.

Plenty of blame attached to him. Yes it's difficult circumstances, but he's still done a poor job.

Archived