IGNORED

Championship average away followings,interesting info

Never to the dark side

55 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I count 7 of the top 8 that are very central to the majority of other teams in this very Northern league.

Yep and they tend to have large stadiums up there which means more allocation. Like when Sheff U go to Sheff W. Probably take 4k which would significantly up their avg for the year. Swansea one of out closest but still 2 hours each way. Also small ground that we bought all our allocation but just under 2k. Brentford is another like that. Then another we usually travel well to is West Brom but on a Tuesday evening so won’t reach its max. Not sure Bristol City will ever top those charts

Figures are pretty skewed at this stage of the season when only 3 away games have been played. For instance, Bolton are third because they took about 5000 to Preston,  which is about 20 miles away! Whereas other teams haven't had any local games yet. You can't read anything into it until the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I know what your saying,but there are only two teams in the top eight that are in the central area of the Country.

Using Talksport data, the average away ranking incorporating the distance required to travel paints a very different picture.......albeit at the moment based on 3 away games

http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/LeagueMap.asp?League=CHAMP

Away.jpg

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Figures are pretty skewed at this stage of the season when only 3 away games have been played. For instance, Bolton are third because they took about 5000 to Preston,  which is about 20 miles away! Whereas other teams haven't had any local games yet. You can't read anything into it until the end of the season.

It's all spherical dangly things .

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep and they tend to have large stadiums up there which means more allocation. Like when Sheff U go to Sheff W. Probably take 4k which would significantly up their avg for the year. Swansea one of out closest but still 2 hours each way. Also small ground that we bought all our allocation but just under 2k. Brentford is another like that. Then another we usually travel well to is West Brom but on a Tuesday evening so won’t reach its max. Not sure Bristol City will ever top those charts

Taking a 4K following to a local derby will only increase each games average by 181 people. 

If their figures are good, then it’s because they consistently take good numbers. Of course the odd extra big followings help, but not as much as the regularity of far more local fixtures than we enjoy. 

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Taking a 4K following to a local derby will only increase each games average by 181 people. 

If their figures are good, then it’s because they consistently take good numbers. Of course the odd extra big followings help, but not as much as the regularity of far more local fixtures than we enjoy. 

They also sold their 2700 allocation for their opening game at WBA, as you’d expect, with more local games to come at Wigan, Blackburn etc i’d Expect their average to stay fairly high

6 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Using Talksport data, the average away ranking incorporating the distance required to travel paints a very different picture.......albeit at the moment based on 3 away games

http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/LeagueMap.asp?League=CHAMP

Away.jpg

If you could produce the opposite of this, i.e. the average number of visiting fans at each home game, rated together with the distance travelled (which would be the same), then you would be able to see whether a club has a net contribution of away fans. 

Last season we attracted on average 1,582 away fans and took an average of 1,244...so you could say we have a deficit of 338 fans.

In previous seasons we've published this information on the OS https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/away-days/away-days-201718/ but I can't see the page for 2018/19 yet.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you could produce the opposite of this, i.e. the average number of visiting fans at each home game, rated together with the distance travelled (which would be the same), then you would be able to see whether a club has a net contribution of away fans. 

Last season we attracted on average 1,582 away fans and took an average of 1,244...so you could say we have a deficit of 338 fans.

In previous seasons we've published this information on the OS https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/away-days/away-days-201718/ but I can't see the page for 2018/19 yet.

I'd like to see the stat you're suggesting for all clubs for last season. As well as what you're saying, it would also show home fans average attendance for each team (I know it's tickets sold not actual attendance). My hunch is that we get less away fans at Ashton Gate than a lot of others as we're further away and give a fairly low allocation (and probably not all that attractive a game). I think this would push us up a place or two versus the standard attendance stats but be a reasonable way of looking at average attendances that as far as I'm aware never gets done.

Just a couple of observations

You can get back to Leeds or Manchester from London after a night game

But you can't get back to London after a night game from Leeds or Manchester

Reason is because the repair depots are are at  Leeds and Manchester 

This is why I would prefer long distance trips on Saturdays

and mid week games of no more than 120 miles

24 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Just a couple of observations

You can get back to Leeds or Manchester from London after a night game

But you can't get back to London after a night game from Leeds or Manchester

Reason is because the repair depots are are at  Leeds and Manchester 

This is why I would prefer long distance trips on Saturdays

and mid week games of no more than 120 miles

New information. What do we do with this?

10 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Totally agree that it’s not accurate at this stage of the season....having said that, Bolton took just over 4,000 to PNE - let’s leave the rounding up to the sags! Although to be fair, Bolton have also had a 400 mile (ok, 391) round trip to Reading and a 200 mile (ok, 185) round trip to WBA....but you’re right, such stats are meaningless at this stage of the season...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What’s the furthest West you’ve been? 

I saw our youth squad play at Newquay and wrote a report on, I think, this forum.  The prompt has made me dig out the programme

1 August 2001:

Academy Manager: Tony Fawthrop

Assistant Director: Peter Amos

Assistant Director: Alan Walsh

Squad: David Blake, Martin Brown (I guess Marvin), Andrew Burke, Ben Cleverly, Simon Dew, Jamie Edwards, Clayton Fortune, Stuart Gibbs, Darren Hawkins, Dean Lindsay, Kayode Odejayi, Marc Palmer, James Pike, Danny Platt, Liam Rosenoir, Aarran Shanahan, Ben Trace, Craig Woodman.

It shows how hard the game is when of those only Liam Rosenoir and Craig Woodman had decent professional careers AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I saw our youth squad play at Newquay and wrote a report on, I think, this forum.  The prompt has made me dig out the programme

1 August 2001:

Academy Manager: Tony Fawthrop

Assistant Director: Peter Amos

Assistant Director: Alan Walsh

Squad: David Blake, Martin Brown (I guess Marvin), Andrew Burke, Ben Cleverly, Simon Dew, Jamie Edwards, Clayton Fortune, Stuart Gibbs, Darren Hawkins, Dean Lindsay, Kayode Odejayi, Marc Palmer, James Pike, Danny Platt, Liam Rosenoir, Aarran Shanahan, Ben Trace, Craig Woodman.

It shows how hard the game is when of those only Liam Rosenoir and Craig Woodman had decent professional careers AFAIK.

Odejayi had his moments, albeit sporadically....scoring the winner for Barnsley to knock Chelsea out of the FAC, but you’re right, not huge success.

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It's all spherical dangly things .

7 hours ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

That would be an ecumenical matter…………..

6 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

You're so right.

Surely for away crowd figures, it's more a case of very small or far away, just as Ted told Dougal....

Archived