IGNORED

Sheffield Utd (Home) - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

A bloody tough game for starters...and probably goals.  Cue, boring 0-0.

They've started pretty well, after opening the season with two defeats, reeling off 4 successive wins to lie 3rd in the table...1 point ahead of City.  Another game that probably feels like a barometer of our progress and standing in this division.  Wilder has recruited well this summer to give the squad the depth that they missed last season as they fell away in the second half of the season.  Mmmm, the parallels!!

How do they play?

3-5-2, playing from the back, but commit players forward, like we did in 14/15.  Let them settle into their groove and we’ll be in for a tough afternoon.  Exploit those gaps (remember what Fulham did to us at AG in 14/15), force them to play risky football deep in their half, and we can win the match.

The Players / Positions

7A1F0905-9E6B-4C43-9FD6-D9A953DEBCB0.jpeg.c7696373c9fa0b20cf95fa6c71c6e144.jpeg

GK - Dean Henderson - on loan from Man Utd, and apparently our summer keeper target.  Had a good season with Shrewsbury, but reports that a bit susceptible under the high ball, might lead LJ to go for Diedhiou over Taylor.

CBs - not sure they will actually line up as above, O’Connell (from what I've seen) is the LCB, and the ball player, given time and space.  Weimann will need to get around him, and maybe Watkins / O’Dowda to play narrow to reduce his space.  Balham is a player I've underrated until I saw him at Bramall Lane last season, where he proved a better footballing CB than I’d give him credit for.  Can be prone to rash tackles when rattled, so might suit Taylor!!  Egan is a good alround CB and a good acquisition.  In all, a back 3 you’d be more than happy with, but like a lot of Champ central defenders, can be exposed down the sides.

RWB - Kieron Freeman - certainly more in the RW than RB mould and I see similarities in his positional play to Litts in 14/15.  He’ll start high up the pitch, and provides good delivery...and energy from the flank.  Kelly will not want to left exposed either 1on1 or if they overload on that side.

LWB - Enda Stevens - ex-Villa man.  At this level I would say he’s a steady LWB, and perhaps the balance to the attack minded Freeman on the other side and also the progressive O’Connell.

CM - Ollie Norwood - really astute signing, can play the Pack role without perhaps the passing range, but don’t ignore his quality from set-pieces.  Will keep the ball moving...so we mustn’t give him time to bypass our press.  John Fleck - red carded at their place last season.  Tenacious midfielder with moments of quality.  Need to commit him on the stretch, as he can’t resist a tackle.

AM - Mark Duffy - dangerman - bit of a journeyman, but found his identity at SU, and a real threat.  Will cheat in midfield, and if you think where Weimann was picking up the ball in 20 yards of space v BR, that’s where Duffy will want to receive the ball, but instead of Weimann having one forward colleague, Duffy will have two, and their launching of breakaways is very impressive.  LJ talked of ‘transition’ with Twentyman on Monday...SU are the epitome of this with Duffy the key to springing Freeman or the front-men  Didn’t start the 2 defeats, can only imagine he wasn’t fully fit.  Missed Norwich win too, but scored in both of the 2 recent wins.

Strikers - perm two from three - Leon Clarke - another journeyman who’s found his mojo under CW at SU.  Big old unit, but good feet, and coupled with his strength is someone you don’t want to get too tight and get rolled.  Can’t give him too much space either.  Billy Sharp - poacher - just finds space in the blink of an eye, and doesn’t miss chances.  Need to keep him further than 12 yards out.  David McGoldrick - proven at this level, even if not considered prolific by Wiki stats...albeit not always started and not always finished games.  Willing runner and a good partner for either Clarke or Sharp.  Don’t see new signing Washington starting ahead of 2 of these 3.

Other players;

Woodbury - exciting LFC loanee.

Simon Moore - ex-City loanee

Richard Stearman - experiences CB

John Lundstrum - happily covers Fleck or Norwood.

How do we win the game?

1. don’t let Duffy face up our 2 CBs.  So important that Pack and Brownhill work together to deny him space.  Pack might need to curb any runs forward on Saturday.  It’ll be a long afternoon if he does and has two runners against retreating CBs
  2. don't let O’Connell or Basham bring the ball forward unopposed...creating an extra man in midfield drawing JB or MP out.  This us what allows them to spring Duffy.  Eliasson and whoever played RM key to this (COD or MW), tucking in, but also the two strikers.
  3. just as NE and COD/MW are important when SU have the ball, it is important that we we get it, we transition (that word again) into attack quickly, and that will require commitment from our two wide-men to get into the spaces behind their WBs, and down the sides of their CBs as quickly as possible.
  4. Hunt to impose himself on Enda Stevens.  Pushing him deep into a more conventional LB will deny O’Connell space and allow MW/COD to create a 3 on 3 versus their CBs, where Weimann’s clever movement could run them ragged
  5. Assuming Kalas is fit, continue to play a higher line to squeeze SU in possession.  Not saying that Clarke, McGoldrick can’t run the channels, but they do like to break centrally, so condensing the pitch will help.  
  6. Patience.  If we cannot break on them, then control the play, and make them run about chasing us.  Duffy won’t want to chase the ball.

The City v SU home game in 13/14 (0-1 Flint og) is the worst game I’ve seen....I doubt this will be anything like it!!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They've started pretty well, after opening the season with two defeats, reeling off 4 successive wins to lie 3rd in the table...1 point ahead of City.  Another game that probably feels like a barometer of our progress and standing in this division.  Wilder has recruited well this summer to give the squad the depth that they missed last season as they fell away in the second half of the season.  Mmmm, the parallels!!

How do they play?

3-5-2, playing from the back, but commit players forward, like we did in 14/15.  Let them settle into their groove and we’ll be in for a tough afternoon.  Exploit those gaps (remember what Fulham did to us at AG in 14/15), force them to play risky football deep in their half, and we can win the match.

The Players / Positions

GK - Dean Henderson - on loan from Man Utd, and apparently our summer keeper target.  Had a good season with Shrewsbury, but reports that a bit susceptible under the high ball, might lead LJ to go for Diedhiou over Taylor.

CBs - not sure they will actually line up as above, O’Connell (from what I've seen) is the LCB, and the ball player, given time and space.  Weimann will need to get around him, and maybe Watkins / O’Dowda to play narrow to reduce his space.  Balham is a player I've underrated until I saw him at Bramall Lane last season, where he proved a better footballing CB than I’d give him credit for.  Can be prone to rash tackles when rattled, so might suit Taylor!!  Egan is a good alround CB and a good acquisition.  In all, a back 3 you’d be more than happy with, but like a lot of Champ central defenders, can be exposed down the sides.

RWB - Kieron Freeman - certainly more in the RW than RB mould and I see similarities in his positional play to Litts in 14/15.  He’ll start high up the pitch, and provides good delivery...and energy from the flank.  Kelly will not want to left exposed either 1on1 or if they overload on that side.

LWB - Enda Stevens - ex-Villa man.  At this level I would say he’s a steady LWB, and perhaps the balance to the attack minded Freeman on the other side and also the progressive O’Connell.

CM - Ollie Norwood - really astute signing, can play the Pack role without perhaps the passing range, but don’t ignore his quality from set-pieces.  Will keep the ball moving...so we mustn’t give him time to bypass our press.  John Fleck - red carded at their place last season.  Tenacious midfielder with moments of quality.  Need to commit him on the stretch, as he can’t resist a tackle.

AM - Mark Duffy - dangerman - bit of a journeyman, but found his identity at SU, and a real threat.  Will cheat in midfield, and if you think where Weimann was picking up the ball in 20 yards of space v BR, that’s where Duffy will want to receive the ball, but instead of Weimann having one forward colleague, Duffy will have two, and their launching of breakaways is very impressive.  LJ talked of ‘transition’ with Twentyman on Monday...SU are the epitome of this with Duffy the key to springing Freeman or the front-men  Didn’t start the 2 defeats, can only imagine he wasn’t fully fit.  Missed Norwich win too, but scored in both of the 2 recent wins.

Strikers - perm two from three - Leon Clarke - another journeyman who’s found his mojo under CW at SU.  Big old unit, but good feet, and coupled with his strength is someone you don’t want to get too tight and get rolled.  Can’t give him too much space either.  Billy Sharp - poacher - just finds space in the blink of an eye, and doesn’t miss chances.  Need to keep him further than 12 yards out.  David McGoldrick - proven at this level, even if not considered prolific by Wiki stats...albeit not always started and not always finished games.  Willing runner and a good partner for either Clarke or Sharp.  Don’t see new signing Washington starting ahead of 2 of these 3.

Other players;

How do we win the game?

1. don’t let Duffy face up our 2 CBs.  So important that Pack and Brownhill work together to deny him space.  Pack might need to curb any runs forward on Saturday.  It’ll be a long afternoon if he does and has two runners against retreating CBs
  2. don't let O’Connell or Basham bring the ball forward unopposed...creating an extra man in midfield drawing JB or MP out.  This us what allows them to spring Duffy.  Eliasson and whoever played RM key to this (COD or MW), tucking in, but also the two strikers.
  3. just as NE and COD/MW are important when SU have the ball, it is important that we we get it, we transition (that word again) into attack quickly, and that will require commitment from our two wide-men to get into the spaces behind their WBs, and down the sides of their CBs as quickly as possible.
  4. Hunt to impose himself on Enda Stevens.  Pushing him deep into a more conventional LB will deny O’Connell space and allow MW/COD to create a 3 on 3 versus their CBs, where Weimann’s clever movement could run them ragged
  5. Assuming Kalas is fit, continue to play a higher line to squeeze SU in possession.  Not saying that Clarke, McGoldrick can’t run the channels, but they do like to break centrally, so condensing the pitch will help.  
  6. Patience.  If we cannot break on them, then control the play, and make them run about chasing us.  Duffy won’t want to chase the ball.

The City v SU home game in 13/14 (0-1 Flint og) is the worst game I’ve seen....I doubt this will be anything like it!!

Excellent post 

Great job @davefevs 

We simply have to go 433/451 on Saturday as that seems to be the formation that Sheffield United don't like as much.  Need to pin their wing-backs back by doubling up.  

They are a very good team and I am a horses for courses man so sod what has happened up until now, this is what I would do:

Maenpaa

Hunt  Kalas Webster  Kelly

Bhill  Pack  Walsh

Weimann Diedhiou Elliason

Subs: O'Leary, Pisano, Baker, DaSilva, Watkins, COD, Taylor

6 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Lost the last 3 against them at home. We owe them one?

Fortunate win at their place last season. They owe us one?

The "game after an international break" hoodoo.

Overall, Not very confident about this one.

Yep, I feel very edgy about this one and we will need to get our team, formation and tactics right to get anything out of this one.  Make sure that they all have 3 Shredded Wheat's for breakfast on Saturday Lee.

The bookies have them as favourites.

I have a gut feeling (hope maybe) that they will think they are as well.

Go at them from the off, get stuck in, and win the individual face offs and earn the right to play our own game, we can win with some to spare.

Looking forward to it.

45 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The bookies have them as favourites.

I have a gut feeling (hope maybe) that they will think they are as well.

Go at them from the off, get stuck in, and win the individual face offs and earn the right to play our own game, we can win with some to spare.

Looking forward to it.

Skybet have us just shading it 8/5 vs their 13/8.  Think we all knew this is not a “turn up and expect 3 points” game.

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Good thinking RedDave but I don't believe that LJ will leave Marley Watkins out. Two reasons; firstly in the press conference, he made reference to his work rate and Marley was the player who was included in the press meeting. Players don't do this if they're not in starting line up.

Good post apart from your last sentence which is incorrect.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Skybet have us just shading it 8/5 vs their 13/8.  Think we all knew this is not a “turn up and expect 3 points” game.

There simply aren't any " turn up and expect 3 point " games in this division. 

8 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Quite.

And I forgot Billy Sharp!

David Kelly's bastard son .

10 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Can see us matching their 3-5-2 formation on Sat.....

My first thoughts too but LJ doesn’t really use it unless we need a goal late. 

10 hours ago, RedDave said:

Great job @davefevs 

We simply have to go 433/451 on Saturday as that seems to be the formation that Sheffield United don't like as much.  Need to pin their wing-backs back by doubling up.  

They are a very good team and I am a horses for courses man so sod what has happened up until now, this is what I would do:

Maenpaa

Hunt  Kalas Webster  Kelly

Bhill  Pack  Walsh

Weimann Diedhiou Elliason

Subs: O'Leary, Pisano, Baker, DaSilva, Watkins, COD, Taylor

We do have to change from 442 imo. Sheff U are really organised and good at what they do. I’d change that lineup a bit but probably go with that formation.

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Pack COD

Weimann Diedhiou Watkins

COD has the pace, strength and workrate to play midfield and is bigger and more experienced than Walsh. I’d like to play Walsh more but not in this one for me. 

Weimann and Watkins provide that real work ethic but both good finishers if they get a chance. Diedhiou would be asked to hold the ball up which is a tough ask but have to expect it from him. Hopefully he does this and it allows Watkins, Weimann and COD to arrive after defending. 

Tough on Eliasson and Taylor but good start to a solid bench. They can be used late on if need be. Will be a real contest saturday. 

Does the Sheff Utf forum have a thread in which fans suggest they change their successful formula/formation to counter us?

Not suggesting we ignore Sheff Us strengths, but surely should think of playing to ours first. If we'd been struggling then it would be sensible to be a little circumspect,  but thats not the case.

If we struggle during the game then hopefully then LJ will make aporopriate changes, otherwise If it ain't  broke then don't fix it. 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Does the Sheff Utf forum have a thread in which fans suggest they change their successful formula/formation to counter us?

Not suggesting we ignore Sheff Us strengths, but surely should think of playing to ours first. If we'd been struggling then it would be sensible to be a little circumspect,  but thats not the case.

If we struggle during the game then hopefully then LJ will make aporopriate changes, otherwise If it ain't  broke then don't fix it. 

It is a valid point but I look bavk to last season when we were playing well. About mid October(not peak form but up in the playoff mix) we played Fulham. We dropped a striker for that one too. Granted it was away but it really nullified Fulham that night.

Sheff U last season dominated the two games and I don’t really think I am overstating that. We were lucky in Sheffield when Flint got the winner and they battered us for large stretches on the final day. 

All in all we have the squad to make changes if we need to. Personally, think it would be silly not to change things in certain matchups/rotate. Also we have 3 games in a week and can’t afford to rest Brownhill or Pack. An extra midfielder reduces their workload some and keeps them a bit fresher. I would not be against 442 Saturday but even us fans can see the problems SU have caused us and if starts in midfield. Similar to Preston and Brentford where I’d also drop a striker. We will see but can see why people would change it

Taylor and Weimann 4-4-2 I think could cope because they both press prodigiously, in the right areas and to different extents, can drop off the front a bit.

Weimann and Diedhiou worries me a bit in this sort of game...they play their 3-5-2 with O'Connell also able to step into midfield., don't know exactly how they will set up but they could even go 3-5-1-1 with McGoldrick the link man between the midfield and the striker- which would enable 4 or even 5 v 2 in central mid. Now with Webster or Kalas able to step up into midfield that would negate it in one respect and one out of Weimann and Taylor able to drop off the front if appropriate that would also help- Diedhiou IMO isn't that sort of player and starting with him may well leave us short. They seem more of an orthodox 3-5-2 this season though.

Took a quick look at Sheff Utd forum, they are thinking FWIW that they will set up in a 3-4-1-2.

16 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Lost the last 3 against them at home. We owe them one?

Fortunate win at their place last season. They owe us one?

The "game after an international break" hoodoo.

Overall, Not very confident about this one.

Reading between the lines I don't think LJ is either, I think they have the kind of game plan that his teams struggle against. Lets hope he can come up with a tactical master stoke to change that.

8 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Gosh it's all so technical. I'd go for a 

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 formation. A bit narrow, but lots of depth. And plenty in midfield.

what about 0-10-0?

if they link arms across the pitch the b*****s will never break through!

p.s. to LJ - this is NOT a serious suggestion.

On 13/09/2018 at 22:49, Davefevs said:

This made me smile a little, as half the thread is discussing if you meant ‘cheat’ or ‘create’ in your opening post...

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/pre-match-view-from-bristol-city.66398/

Think it is also possibly the first and only time somebody has posted words to the effect ‘do you have to be a member of MENSA to post on OTIB’. If only they knew.

Given our record after breaks, would take a draw tomorrow.

On 13/09/2018 at 20:10, Davefevs said:

How do they play?

The Players / Positions

Other players;

How do we win the game?

Great summary.

Interesting comment about the worst game you’ve ever seen.

In respect of just the football on show from both teams, I think mine is a 0-0 draw with Oxford st the Manor Ground in the late nineties possibly.

Simply appallingly. Not even chants about Jiey Beauchamp could lift the day.

7 hours ago, cityexile said:

This made me smile a little, as half the thread is discussing if you meant ‘cheat’ or ‘create’ in your opening post...

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/pre-match-view-from-bristol-city.66398/

Think it is also possibly the first and only time somebody has posted words to the effect ‘do you have to be a member of MENSA to post on OTIB’. If only they knew.

Given our record after breaks, would take a draw tomorrow.

Definitely meant CHEAT. 

Is it not a common footie phrase?  Someone who plays in midfield who doesn’t always do the running backwards or marking his opponent.  Tomlin would CHEAT, ensuring he was in space when we got the ball.

Re Pack’s passing range - more a case that he tries longer balls, not always successful.  Defo not Pirlo.

Difficult game today. They've established themselves in this league very well since getting promoted.

One bad memory of a game versus them was when we'd fought back from 2-0 to equalise in the last minute only for them to get the winner straight from the kick off (Darius Henderson I think - one of those players who always seemed to score against us). 

Hope things go better than that today.

No Championship team has scored more first-half goals than Sheffield United this season (7).

Please City, concentrate early on, no daft avoidable blunders, be patient (fans too)

They look like a bloody good side, so let's not have a "'Boro" situation in the 1st half.

Good luck boys

COYR

Archived