IGNORED

Playoffs...again

Silvio Dante

I know this comes up semi regularly on here but Sky are currently showing the playoff final vs Hull. Unlike other shows though, it’s an hours highlight.

Buoyed by a couple of drinks, it’s the first time since 2008 I’ve been able to bring myself to watch it.

So, ten years too late, let me say despite being 1-0 down at half time we look the better side in two thirds of the pitch. In the final third though, it’s static with Dele ploughing a lone furrow. And Nick Carle is cack. Nice hair though.

The #33 who has just come on looks remarkably tactically aware, however.

(on a serious note, we were the better side half one, but never looked like scoring. We should have done more)

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I know this comes up semi regularly on here but Sky are currently showing the playoff final vs Hull. Unlike other shows though, it’s an hours highlight.

Buoyed by a couple of drinks, it’s the first time since 2008 I’ve been able to bring myself to watch it.

So, ten years too late, let me say despite being 1-0 down at half time we look the better side in two thirds of the pitch. In the final third though, it’s static with Dele ploughing a lone furrow. And Nick Carle is cack. Nice hair though.

The #33 who has just come on looks remarkably tactically aware, however.

(on a serious note, we were the better side half one, but never looked like scoring. We should have done more)

I tell you what, you might need a couple of drinks to watch Hull again but I'd need a whole brewery to sit through Brighton for a second time.

We were the better team, beaten by a bit of a fluke! It sums up football really. Luck is a huge part of the game. I don't have any regrets about that game. I have a feeling the next season would have been like Derby's awful season. I have a lot more faith that if we were promoted this time things would be better than what 2008/09 could potentially have been.

17 hours ago, MigratedRobin said:

We were the better team, beaten by a bit of a fluke! It sums up football really. Luck is a huge part of the game. I don't have any regrets about that game. I have a feeling the next season would have been like Derby's awful season. I have a lot more faith that if we were promoted this time things would be better than what 2008/09 could potentially have been.

Fluke is a bit of a stretch. It was a very good strike.

There was talk that GJ had a list of players that he was ready to try and buy if we'd have gone up. I'd have loved to have seen that list, but alas it all went tits up with Fatboy slamming that shot in. Oh well, onwards and upwards :fingerscrossed: If we had have gone up then god knows where we would be now, maybe in not such a good place?

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

There was talk that GJ had a list of players that he was ready to try and buy if we'd have gone up. I'd have loved to have seen that list, but alas it all went tits up with Fatboy slamming that shot in. Oh well, onwards and upwards :fingerscrossed: If we had have gone up then god knows where we would be now, maybe in not such a good place?

We’d have come straight back down. Senior would have been seriously out of his depth in the PL. We were very very fortunate to reach the pray-offs with no decent striker and a goal difference of +1..............

I don’t think City had a single shot on goal in the final, typical really.

I haven't been able to bring myself to re-watch that game (or even the highlights). My memory of it is that it was a fairly cagey affair where neither side created very much apart from that wonder-strike (although I remember thinking that had Bradley Orr not been injured Windass might not have had as much space to shoot - there seemed to be a gaping hole in our defence).

If I remember right it was equal possession 

We had 20 shots 10 on target 

Hull had 10 shots 4 on target 

Just one of those days summed up best at end when keeper drops a cross Trundle looked a cert to score in front of us but somehow I think Turner got a block and it somehow didn’t go in.

I recall our best chance being in about the 3rd minute with Adebola having a close in sight of goal. I recall us being on top but then Orr's injury knocked us inasmuch that he wasn't immediately substituted. He was being patched up for several minutes and playing against ten men seemed to boost Hull who then came into the game where previously they'd been non existent. Orr returned but was obviously struggling badly. It was then that that goal was conceded. Orr was then subbed.

I firmly believe that had Orr been subbed straightaway the outcome of the game would've been different. It was a serious injury and we had 3 substitutes at our disposal so don't know why this wasn't done. I can only think that because McCoombe wasn't playing due to illness GJ didn't want to lose another stalwart of the defence with more than an hour of the game to go.

Archived