IGNORED

Sheffield United Fans - Thoughts on Their Trip to Bristol

Xiled

"2.5 hour drive from London on Friday night. Terrible traffic in Bristol. Stayed in nice hotel. Great city with so many nice places to eat, drink, have a good time. Makes Sheffield look 2nd rate in that respect. Same with the shopping. Really good range of shops from small independent boutiques to the big Harvey Nichols store. Thriving art and music scene. Lovely riverside/waterfront with lively bars and cafes. Just a totally different world from us really."

"Brizzel is a jewel in the UK crown.

Awesome place."

"easy drive, parked on grass verge very near ground for free, got to ground about 1.20. Lots more people around the ground than would be at the lane at this time due to band, bars and good quality food outlets at the home end of the ground. similar arangments at the away end as well, no band and food more as would be expected at footy. Had another pint and went in about 2.30. Stewarts all friendly and we did not seam to have our nobhead coked up element there which will have helped. 

There ground looks very tidy, even tidied than the lane, certainly one of the better away days."

Are we ever that generous after an away day defeat?!

Interviewed a guy outside the away end for the podcast and without question or prompt he went on about how lovely the overall away fan experience is at AG. Clearly enjoys coming down. Complimented the layout and in particular the stewards who are incredibly friendly and easy to talk to.

I beat him up afterwards cause he was a Sheffield United fan but he was very complimentary.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Interviewed a guy outside the away end for the podcast and without question or prompt he went on about how lovely the overall away fan experience is at AG. Clearly enjoys coming down. Complimented the layout and in particular the stewards who are incredibly friendly and easy to talk to.

I beat him up afterwards cause he was a Sheffield United fan but he was very complimentary.

Haha nearly spat my beer out 

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, because our (very rare) away days in Bristol are at the Mem..! 

You can imagine the review - 'my wife had her boobs felt by some cavemen in jesters shirts, the toilet was a hole in the ground, we were placed in a tent that blew away when the wind picked up, the music playing was some dirge that Plymouth fans used to sing, our players were attacked on the pitch, racial abuse was flying about and after the game their manager tried to interfere with a dog in the local park. Other than that I can see why they are called the family club.

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Surprising comments as I always enjoy Sheffield. Nice day out and good people and some decent redevelopment.

I have been out in Sheffield a few times through work and what was a thriving steel city is a shadow of its past. Still has some decent bars and restaurants but my god Sheffield needs some investment

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One thing Sheffield has that’s better than Bristol is a very decent tram system...........

Less than a fiver for a whole day's travel over the complete system. This is now being extended to nearby Rotherham, not replacing, but running parallel to the railway line. Notingham's tram system is also a useful way of getting round town.

In terms of cities up North, Sheffield is probably my favourite. Not that much to see, but it's easy to get around, it's nice & hilly like Bristol, the Peak District runs right up to the edge of the city, and the people are genuinely friendly and not up themselves, unlike some other places I could mention up there..

Guess I am also a bit biased as I used to have a girlfriend who lived there...

All that said, in terms of big cities in England, we in Bristol often forget how lucky we are with what we have (except obviously a decent transport system, and an arena - thanks Marvin!). There is a reason why it's called the "graveyard of ambition". Who would want to leave if they didn't have to?!

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

- 'my wife had her boobs felt by some cavemen in jesters shirts, the toilet was a hole in the ground, we were placed in a tent that blew away when the wind picked up, the music playing was some dirge that Plymouth fans used to sing, our players were attacked on the pitch, racial abuse was flying about and after the game their manager tried to interfere with a dog in the local park. 

By the sounds of it 

Holidays or no holidays

Id recommend you leave the Caravan. Club  immediately

Sheffield is a great city - lived there for three years. Both clubs are proper old school football clubs with genuine, honest fans. Love the Peak District coming into the west side of the city. The Leadmill is a cracking night club / band venue. Friendly, friendly people with none of the attitude you get from Manchester or Leeds people. 

Bristol is much better, mind. ?

6 hours ago, INCRED said:

I have been out in Sheffield a few times through work and what was a thriving steel city is a shadow of its past. Still has some decent bars and restaurants but my god Sheffield needs some investment

West street is a great night out Turkish restaurant maid of vale bar 60to 70s ska mod music Northern soul bar Maggie Mays just round corner and Bar called bestabees two good spooners and two premier inns can't knock it 

17 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Is he the same guy you interviewed after Blackburn ??

Archived