IGNORED

Any Sheffield United players you might want for City

Dr Balls

Tough game yesterday. Sheffield United are physical but also knock it around well as a team, and you could see how and why they stuffed Villa.

However, who from that team would you consider might improve or complement City?

The only ones who stood out for me were Chris Basham and Ollie Norwood.

Norwood plays a similar way and role to Pack, and would provide a very decent back-up, or even challenge Marlon for his place. Whether he has Marlon's captaincy skills is another matter.

Basham was immense. Good in defence as the tall right centre back, composed on the ball, happy going forward, even beyond the midfield, through the middle and down the right flank. I guess the only thing going against him is that he is already 30, so wouldn't fit into LJ's declared "buy 'em young" transfer policy.

For all the talk about their forwards, they were pretty underwhelming and only managed 1 shot on target all game. Sharp was a dirty, cheating bar steward, McGoldrick didn't bring his shooting boots, Washington looked as useless as he did for Northern Ireland in midweek, and Leon Clarke needed to wear gloves in September, but did nothing else memorable during his cameo. Maybe he also does magic tricks...

Thought Norwood was bang average. Only ever really made the simple pass to the free wingbacks. Lundstrum the same. Didn’t stand out for me just done a job. Duffy was everywhere but would not fit in a two and was reading on their forum he struggles lasting a full 90(think he is a bit older). Apparently their best midfielder(best in the league according to them) was missing in John Fleck. Always rated him but still not sure how he fits in a two. 

Think Billy Sharp would be an upgraded Matty Taylor. O’Connell was ok and subject to bids from Brighton. That said, I don’t recall anyone I’d have over our starting XI yesterday. 

Maenpaa v Henderson is equal as one is a loan and one is a free both basically for a season. 

Hunt v Freeman probably equal. Freeman more concerned defensively but Hunt much better getting forward. 

Kalas v Basham I’d have Kalas all day

Webster v O’Connell is interesting. O’Connell will get the plaudits but think that system allows him to look so good. I’d give him the edge but would cost 3 times as much if both were bought last summer. 

Egan v Kelly Egan probably physically better but Kelly oozes class and wasn’t even his best yesterday. 

DaSilva v Stevens well DaSilva is not our player but did not see anything great from Stevens. 

Brownhill v Lundstrum easy for me. Brownhill all day and I think is a top CM in this league and would improve any side. 

Pack v Norwood going Pack. Makes hard passes look simple. Obvious leader and think he is a bit better defensively

Duffy v Eliasson Duffy was fantastic but Eliasson was no mug himself. In that starting role Duffy would shade it but as longer term prospect not close

Fam v McGoldrick thought DM was oustanding yesterday. He sort of plays like Bobby Reid did last year except less quick but more physical. Big difference is finishing. Missed at least two sitters and that is why I take Fam. He’d have buried at least one of those and shocked his one good chance he spurned wide and high. By the time Brentford comes around I think he will be taking chances like that. 

Sharp v Weimann Again age comes into play here. Sharp is more than useful but Weimann is a class above imo. 

Actually putting that down made me realise that SU while impressive since their promotion have a closing window. Basham, Sharp, McGoldrick, Basham, Duffy and Clarke are some of their key players who are 30 or approaching I think. In their prime and their legs ready to go.

Whereas I think outside of keeper we only have players entering their prime(26-30 usually) at best. Pack, Kalas, Hunt and Weimann our oldest players and none 28 yet? We are probably an overacheiving side considering the youth that contributes. 

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Actually putting that down made me realise that SU while impressive since their promotion have a closing window. Basham, Sharp, McGoldrick, Basham, Duffy and Clarke are some of their key players who are 30 or approaching I think. In their prime and their legs ready to go.

Whereas I think outside of keeper we only have players entering their prime(26-30 usually) at best. Pack, Kalas, Hunt and Weimann our oldest players and none 28 yet? We are probably an overacheiving side considering the youth that contributes. 

Basham - so good you named him twice?!

However I agree that it's probably make or break for this Blades side this season, especially as they have sold some of their younger players over previous seasons (Brooks, Che Evans).

By contrast, we have sold the 3 big names from last season for a great profit (Bryan, Flint, Reid) and managed to get upgrades (Kelly, Kalas, Weimann) for just £2 million. The more that I think about that, the more impressive that seems.

I think Sheffield Utd and Wilder mirror a lot to our own Club.

A manager that has the Club at heart, played for them, now manages, and has been allowed to develop a squad over time, developing his own style of play and keeping to it.

Coaching that style of play, and getting his players used to it, so it becomes second nature.

He allows his players to express themselves and play with freedom...to try things without fear.

It's the same for us.

Strangely before our game yesterday...the local Sheffield press were saying his style of play will soon get found out, and it's the surprise factor at the moment that's getting them results.

Heard that before.

They had a similar decline in the league as us last season after a great start...and our results and league position were almost the same.

They could have got rid of Wilder after such a great start....but believed in him and his project and stuck with him.

Echo's our own Club.

Both us and them are Clubs that have players that play free flowing football, believe in the coach and style and play without fear.

Both will continue to develop.

That's why their players looked good.

In the same way, as when we play other Championship teams, their fans say how well we play, and what good players we have.

It's interesting that both of us have played three of the top six now. We have got six points from them, and they lost the lot, winning their other four games.

Not going to read to much in to that at this stage, as across the 90 a neutral would most likely say they were at least our match I suspect. We both are looking like top half teams right now. Whether either of us can do better than that, I am less convinced right now, although it does match my aspirations at the start of the season.

42 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I’ve liked Basham for a long time. A strong versatile player who can play in defence or midfield. Apart from ‘taking one for the team’ when ruthlessly blocking O’Dowda, he was excellent today. 

I think that was O'Connell. From the Dolman that was one of the most deliberate and nasty body checks I've seen in a long time. O'Dowda would have been through on goal otherwise.

4 hours ago, Fatalist said:

I thought they were effective as a team, but lacked any individuals to be afraid of.

Plenty of teamwork and organisation, but man-for-man nothing special.

Bit like us really.  We don’t have any big names really, especially if you don’t watch the Championship every week.  I think we are underestimated like Utd.  We look to have recruited well, and so have Utd (Henderson, Egan, Norwood, McGoldrick, Woodman), although we had to replace key players.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Duffy shows how players can improve late in their careers. He is 32, and could not get a game for Birmingham a couple of seasons ago. 

Said in my pre-match post that he was a journeyman who’s found his mojo late in his career.

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I think that was O'Connell. From the Dolman that was one of the most deliberate and nasty body checks I've seen in a long time. O'Dowda would have been through on goal otherwise.

And I thought it was Egan! Was cynical. Any case for a red card as last man? 

Archived