IGNORED

Spain away (England)

BCFC1512

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Been an edge to this game which has been great, you dont get that in friendly games and the endless amount of subs etc.

Yep as an example you only need to look at Enrique’s reactions over the course of the game to see that it means something.  Spain were being seriously talked up again as well and so this is a big result for our young team.

And if nothing else this result will mean we should stay top tier as well so all good. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very impressed by Chilwell

Take him over Rose and Shaw 

Yep been very assured.  Looks quality.  

Belting.

Now we sit back and await the excuses and attempts to play down the significance of that by the resident killjoys.

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Still moaning about Pickford not walking, I expect.

Payback for Welbeck having a perfectly good goal disallowed in the game at Wembley, which would have got us a point.

18 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Agreed. We had a tv in our canteen at work. Explained the rules of cricket about 15 times that summer! Everyone was hooked.

Average viewing was 6-7m I think. On Sky its less than 2m.  Short term financial gain for long term participation pain

My son is 8 and has barely watched any cricket (or golf) on TV. By his age I would have been up to 100s of hours already

Spot on. I think we’re basically the same person Dave. My son (7) knows only the basics of cricket...by his age I was watching test matches. In fact I don’t think I saw us win a series until I was 15!

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Spot on. I think we’re basically the same person Dave. My son (7) knows only the basics of cricket...by his age I was watching test matches. In fact I don’t think I saw us win a series until I was 15!

Watched hours and hours of cricket on TV and basically inspired me to try and replicate players such as Botham, Gower, Gooch, Lamb et al whenever I played which was to a decent standard and almost got to County standard. I wonder if I would have even bothered playing the game these days if I was a young lad

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Halves like that make all those trips worth it NLR

:yes:

Damn right BBSB! After years of disappointment and the occasional trip / game that’s so bad I sometimes wonder why I bother, along comes that tonight and you realise it’s all worth it.

I expected us to get no points from these two away games, so to come away with four is very pleasing. 

And Seville has to be one of the best cities for an away trip. Highly recommended. 

Well done, England! :)

I was fairly vocal in my criticism of Sterling on here a couple months back - to the posters who begged to differ I humbly apologise and as I said at the time I think (hope I did anyway), I’m delighted to be proven wrong.

This isn’t a pop at anyone on here but fans in general - those of us who have stuck with the national team through thin and thinner feel slightly smug given the semi-final appearance at the WC and this result - when we’ve had an endless chorus from fairweather fans of “I don’t care about England any more, they are torture to watch, I turn the channel when they come on, yadda yadda yadda.”

I bet these bandwagon-jumping types are the first to buy waistcoats and all that jazz when it’s fashionable to support England again. Forgive me if those of us who have stuck with them while they toil in Montenegro, Glasgow and Vilnius treat those “fans” pretty much with contempt.

lovely to see a City flag in Seville to end on a positive note.

I’m glad 3 at the back has been ditched. It was a great short term fix and worked in the world cup as our fixtures were somewhat favourable but Walker at centre half was a failed experiment, Stones and Maguire/Gomez works and we have an excellent choice of full backs now.

Still not sure on the midfield, I’m a big fan of Henderson but not in the same midfield as Dier. We missed a player like Maddison at the World Cup, some creativity in midfield — hopefully him and Barkley between them can play the more advanced role, not sure where Alli fits, maybe alongside Henderson much like in the summer.

Love what Southgate’s doing, **** me we have a lot of exciting young players coming through the ranks atm.

5 hours ago, INCRED said:

Watched hours and hours of cricket on TV and basically inspired me to try and replicate players such as Botham, Gower, Gooch, Lamb et al whenever I played which was to a decent standard and almost got to County standard. I wonder if I would have even bothered playing the game these days if I was a young lad

I grew up watching lots of cricket during the 90s as it was on free to air, I suppose I simply watched it out of boredom because these days I absolutely detest it. 

The only sports that I stuck with that was on free to air has been football and F1. 

9 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

On Talk$hite they were saying England are going back to being boring abd would get destroyed tonight........

Adrian Durham talks shit shocker 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Outstanding performance. By far Rashford's best performance in an England shirt. Sterling showing how good he really is too. This will hopefully shut many of his critics up.

I have criticised Sterling’s performances for England in the past. Happy to say that  he was excellent last night against Spain. Hope the goals give him confidence to keep knocking them in at this level. 

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Southgate deserves massive credit for what he has done in a short amount of time. We have come a long way since the disaster against Iceland, I actually look forward to watching England these days.

I recall the exact date when watching England started to get dull.

7th October 2006. After the 2006 World Cup, the qualifiers for the Euros began. I was at Old Trafford for this game, and I was so bored and the players appeared not to give a toss. All of a sudden, watching England became a chore rather than something I enjoyed.

Before this date, me and my mates would make a whole day of watching England playing, this would be for all games, qualifiers, friendlies, tournaments. After this match, it turned into "oh are England playing later?" when it came to non tournament matches.

Since Southgate took over, he has bought more excitement into our game and has done wonders with blending the younger players into the squad whilst also keeping their feet on the ground not to get too carried away.

The front 3 of Rashford - Kane - Sterling could be devastating over the next few years. They are 20 ,25 and 23, so many years left in them.

Archived