IGNORED

Too good to have losing run?

Top Robin

Can somebody please reassure me that this team is too good to go on another losing run as per last season. 

Also, surely Lee is a better manager, has learned his lesson and wont let it happen again.

If you compare last Decembers team/squad to this one, you may think it looked better on paper than todays but we all know that that doent tell the whole story.

Here's hoping! 

Nobody can guarantee anything obviously but the fact that we've only conceded 6 goals in 7 games with an entirely different back 4 and goalkeeper has to be the most re-assuring factor. Our losing streaks in the past have usually been built defensive errors rather than the inability to score goals. Hence why LJ didn't look for a replacement for Djuric and focused on getting Kalas in the door.

Also worth nothing that Kalas has two promotions to the PL in the last two years on his CV which indicates that he isn't the type of player to suffer from substantial dips in form. Compare to, say, Baker who was culpable during our bad run last year and LJ didn't try to hide it either.

No is the simple answer.

This league is way to competitive not to have a bad run at some point. Even Cardiff lost 4 in a row at one point. Fulham had a horrendous start to last season.

So to some degree it will happen, we have two very tough away games this week!

I am more confident in the squad though this year. There’s a freshness to this squad that won’t be carrying that baggage and Kalas and Weimann in particular strike me so far as players who the right character to drag us through those bad spells.

A lot is down to confidence.  We will see how the players bounce back from adversity.

On the face of it they now look like a resolute bunch, full of beans.  But when we lose (we will at some point), the test will be how much the players stand up, keep playing the right way, keep showing for the ball rather than hiding, etc.

51 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Can somebody please reassure me that this team is too good to go on another losing run as per last season. 

Also, surely Lee is a better manager, has learned his lesson and wont let it happen again.

If you compare last Decembers team/squad to this one, you may think it looked better on paper than todays but we all know that that doent tell the whole story.

Here's hoping! 

Or the season before?

Who knows anymore, just enjoy the good times and Im sure we’ll find some consistency over a full season.

Lee Johnson obviously has the ability to be a good coach, but his CV is littered with bad runs. 

He’ll get it right sooner rather than later.

15 minutes ago, Ian Crabbe said:

I don’t think so,seems like the goals are being shared out a bit,whereas last season we were too

reliant on 3 or 4 players,when their form went the goals dried up.

Not just the goals being shared out but the overall team performance is. We don’t have a stand out 2 or 3 like seasons past. They all work as a unit and perform better that way. It makes it hard for other teams to keep us quiet when they are thinking about the dangers we have all over the pitch. 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A lot is down to confidence.  We will see how the players bounce back from adversity.

On the face of it they now look like a resolute bunch, full of beans.  But when we lose (we will at some point), the test will be how much the players stand up, keep playing the right way, keep showing for the ball rather than hiding, etc.

And there is the rub regarding confidence. It's not as if we didn't have the occasional poor game before Christmas, but it didn't seem to affect confidence or subsequent performances.

I am sure if you look at the very, very small print on your season card, just like the financial adviser that he is, dealing with investments, Steve Lansdown has added "Past performance is no guarantee of future success. Football clubs can go up or down."

2 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Always a good sign winning games 1-0. We didn’t do that enough last season as at times we had to out score our opponents to win!

That reflects how solid the keeper and back four are - stronger than last season. Conceding one fluke of a goal in the last four games is testament to that.

LJ has done an impressive job in rebuilding the back four.

12 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Always a good sign winning games 1-0. We didn’t do that enough last season as at times we had to out score our opponents to win!

Sheff U are just the sort of team against whom we would have conceded a late goal(s) last season, and especially so during the second half of the season. 

I've mentioned before similarities to GJ's team of a decade ago. GJ's team were adept at winning tough games by the odd goal, and especially at being resolute in defence when under pressure. Hopefully this is a trait the current team can replicate.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That reflects how solid the keeper and back four are - stronger than last season. Conceding one fluke of a goal in the last four games is testament to that.

LJ has done an impressive job in rebuilding the back four.

Agree.

I was away yesterday, but caught the extended highlights, and there are little things like Hunt ensuring that he got himself across as far as possible to force McGoldrick to snatch a shot wide when he got through.  If he doesn’t put that effort in to get across, McGoldrick has a split second more time to allow the ball to run across him for a more natural strike.

Matty Taylor waiting to tap-in Watkins header.

Little things that get taken for granted.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree. They have returned after the dreaded International break with a win, a big plus psychologically. BUT, when Blackburn went ahead we did look shaky, all over the shop until we got a grip. 

As others will have said, a poor run of results is almost inevitable in the Championship. However, it is the length in weeks or months that is what scares many of us, even the eternal optimistic of  City fans.

Ideally no bad spell but a couple of successive defeats is probably guaranteed. It's how we stop it is what should make this season different.

With the departures  of Flint, Bryan and Reid over the summer I was worried at the start of this season but I now think LJ has done a fantastic summer recruitment and re-grouping job.

As others have said, with Meinpaar, Kallas, Webster, Kelly and Hunt at the back we look much more solid in defence - and the recent scorelines confirm that. Will Nathan Baker ever get back in to the first team? Probably not unless Kallas or Webster are injured. 

Of course we are going to lose games during the rest of this season and quite possibly two or more in a row, but after a great performance yesterday against a very good Sheff U side, I am not a gambling man, but I would put money now on a top six finish for us. 

And well done LJ for his tactics yesterday. Not many of us could figure out why he started two up front with Eliasson just behind them. But listening to his post match interview on RB, this was tactics to deal with their threat and then when they started getting tired he made the subs which took us back to our normal 4 - 4 - 2 formation and we all know what happened after that. 

i consistently supported LJ during the bad run last season because I think he has a very astute football brain. 

That is now beginning to take us to where we want to be. 

7 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Here's hoping! 

1 hour ago, The Red Planet said:

With the departures  of Flint, Bryan and Reid over the summer I was worried at the start of this season but I now think LJ has done a fantastic summer recruitment and re-grouping job.

As others have said, with Meinpaar, Kallas, Webster, Kelly and Hunt at the back we look much more solid in defence - and the recent scorelines confirm that. Will Nathan Baker ever get back in to the first team? Probably not unless Kallas or Webster are injured. 

Of course we are going to lose games during the rest of this season and quite possibly two or more in a row, but after a great performance yesterday against a very good Sheff U side, I am not a gambling man, but I would put money now on a top six finish for us. 

And well done LJ for his tactics yesterday. Not many of us could figure out why he started two up front with Eliasson just behind them. But listening to his post match interview on RB, this was tactics to deal with their threat and then when they started getting tired he made the subs which took us back to our normal 4 - 4 - 2 formation and we all know what happened after that. 

i consistently supported LJ during the bad run last season because I think he has a very astute football brain

That is now beginning to take us to where we want to be. 

I’ve certainly been critical of his inability to read the game during the 90, missing tactical tweaks by the opposition, missing changes from the other side.

Yesterday it appears (I wasn’t there) that he got on the front foot with his subs, and Wilder’s reaction was the poor one, as we built a head of steam and got the all important goal.

A credit mark for LJ.

Archived