IGNORED

Too good to have losing run?

Top Robin

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve certainly been critical of his inability to read the game during the 90, missing tactical tweaks by the opposition, missing changes from the other side.

Yesterday it appears (I wasn’t there) that he got on the front foot with his subs, and Wilder’s reaction was the poor one, as we built a head of steam and got the all important goal.

A credit mark for LJ.

Agree Dave

If I was being picky I did think we stuck to the initial  same plan for a bit long at times Sat and rode our luck a little bit

Thought he may have tinkered with our shape at least in first half

The plan to win the game from the bench was , ultimately , a great decision but it was the absolute game of fine margins !

I Enjoyed the chess / tactical game and Saturday was a prime reason that personally I enjoy watching football and am perfectly satisfied watch City in this division 

I think a lot of it is down to fatigue. At winter it gets hard to play, and we've had several seasons of doing well at the start of the season, only to falter as the games come thick and fast, along with the bad weather.

Rotation will be key for this side, and I hope that everyone has a part to play and can pick up the slack during the season.

Our squad depth is undoubtedly stronger than last season. However, in my view, we are walking on a tightrope in centre midfield.

If Pack picks up an injury we’ve got no adequate replacement - as good as Walsh maybe, the thought of him and Brownhill in the middle seems too lightweight for me. 

If we can avoid said injury and bring in a combative CM in Jan, I’m confident of a successful season.

There would be no reason then we couldn’t challenge for a top 6 finish. 

I hope that this is the year we stop the bad 'run' thing. No doubt we will have a spell where we lose a couple on the spin, or 3 in 5 but the last two seasons we have had the Mother and Father of bad runs not just spells. If we can limit losing games so we don't have clusters like we have done we could have a very good season. It is a worry that when the inevitable defeat comes that memories from the past two seasons play on their mind, if they can find a win quickly after a loss then hopefully we can start to forget those 'runs'.
As I said elsewhere, I didn't see last years run coming so I'm taking nothing for granted but, against Forest and Sheff U we limited good teams to very few chances even if we gave up a lot of possession and looked second best at times. The last third of the game Saturday we were much the better team, and I'm happy to take LJ's word for it being a plan to keep them quiet for the first half and try to dominate later. Apparently they were (are?) the highest scoring team in the first half of games, while they had plenty of the ball and may have looked the better side they created very little and only had one shot on target, and that wasn't until the second half. 
I think I will just enjoy things as they are just now, no point in worrying about a bad run that may never happen :fingerscrossed:

To back up the plaudits given to our defence, we have allowed only 10 shots on target in the past 4 games. 

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

To be fair we didn’t really have a losing run last season. The most league games we lost in a row was three :innocent06::innocent06::whistle:

We drew too many games last season. Conceding silly goals from winning positions and I think LJ has tried to tweak that this season. So far, it looks like a big improvement.

We didn’t win many 1-0 last term and already we’ve got a couple under our belt.

9 hours ago, SotonRed said:

Our squad depth is undoubtedly stronger than last season. However, in my view, we are walking on a tightrope in centre midfield.

If Pack picks up an injury we’ve got no adequate replacement - as good as Walsh maybe, the thought of him and Brownhill in the middle seems too lightweight for me. 

If we can avoid said injury and bring in a combative CM in Jan, I’m confident of a successful season.

There would be no reason then we couldn’t challenge for a top 6 finish. 

Agree with this with Korey’s injury. And I don’t think we could cope without Brownhill for any length of time either; he put in a hell of a shift v Sheff Utd. We’ll have to watch the yellow cards as well.

19 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree Dave

If I was being picky I did think we stuck to the initial  same plan for a bit long at times Sat and rode our luck a little bit

Thought he may have tinkered with our shape at least in first half

The plan to win the game from the bench was , ultimately , a great decision but it was the absolute game of fine margins !

I Enjoyed the chess / tactical game and Saturday was a prime reason that personally I enjoy watching football and am perfectly satisfied watch City in this division 

I thought the same whilst watching the game, but thinking about it after I think waiting until the second half was better. That meant it was harder for Sheffield Utd. to adapt to our changes.

Archived