IGNORED

West Brom (Away - Tuesday) - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

Despite 4 wins on the trot, attentions turn quickly to Tuesday night away to West Brom.  Another team likely to set up with 3 at the back.  The first few games of the season saw goals at both ends, so reverting to 3/5 at the back has brought results / goals into the normal range.  Under Darren Moore they appear to be a team willing to fight, and at home we can expect a tough match (aren’t they all tough?).  Hope City have a good following and if we can get a lead, then you can expect their fans to turn on them like in the FA cup game in 2015.

How do they line-up?

In a 352 most likely, but one of the WBs is more of a winger (Phillips) than the other (Townsend or Gibbs).

072968D0-4105-4F19-B3D0-DA7383E0CFD3.jpeg.26026d3b053cb46367fb62841c581809.jpeg

The players

GK - Sam Johnstone - finally left the Man Utd nest, signing during the summer.  Very good keeper at this level, but if I had one criticism it’s his kicking under pressure.  

CBs - Craig Dawson, ex-GB Olympic player who’s spent a lot of his time at West Brom, playing RB in Pulis’s 4 CBs defence.  Back in the centre now, and a threat from set-pieces.  Bartley, signed from Swansea, but ex-Leeds loanee who knows the Champ well.  Solid CB partner, brought thru the Arsenal ranks, partnering Luke Ayling.  Hegazy, Egyptian international who looks like a good fit for the physical and frenetic Champ.  A good signing.

RWB - Matt Phillips - obvious threat, quick, direct, eye for a goal.  Not keen to work the other way though.  How LJ decides to counter him, may dictate the formation we play (see later)

LWB - Conor Townsend - signed from Scunthorpe in the summer.  A good prospect, but I know little more than a LB by trade, so probably a bit more like Enda Stevens on Saturday.  Not sure why Kieran Gibbs was on the bench on Friday, but an England international, who I’m surprised didn’t find a move in the summer.  Likes to spring into the box, but maybe Moore has decided Phillips attacking instincts on the right needs some balance on the left?

CM - a very good mix.  Livermore the stocky, combative holding CM, who was playing for England last season.  I think we all know about him.  Chris Brunt, Northern Ireland international with one of the sweetest left pegs around, not just in the Champ.  Legs may have gone a bit, and played LB a fair bit last season.  Harvey Barnes, talented Leicester loanee, who likes to break forward with the ball and good feet to get shots away or play others in.

STs - Dwight Gayle - loves playing off the shoulder.  So reminds me of Ian Wright with his movement, and a pretty good (understatement!) finisher.  A real test for our CBs.  The other, Jay Rodriguez - my dangerman - is a good all round CF, happy to go long, happy to come short, happy on the deck, happy in the air.

On paper / screen they look pretty formidable!  So.....

How do City beat them?

This might be the night for a typical away performance, a smash and grab, either early goal and play tight, or keep them quiet and catch them on the break.

Following LJ matching up SU’s 352 on Saturday, I guess a fair few might think he should do the same again on Tuesday.

However, I think this is the night to revert to ‘our way’....and that’s two banks of four for me.  Not the night for Dasilva for me.

Key areas:

1. Kelly back to LB, with O’Dowda in front of him, offering protection against Phillips.
  2. Weimann, assuming he is the auto-pick of our 3x STs, will need to nip away at Livermore and not allow him to get easy ball either to the flanks or into Brunt and Barnes in space.
  3. Talking of Brunt and Barnes, we need to ensure it’s Pack and Brownhill taking care of them, and not being dragged onto Livermore, leaving Pack isolated.

I might go with Diedhiou over Taylor, and give Taylor the Wigan game.  Fam might be useful at the near list defensively, and I’m not sure Dawson, Bartley or Hegazy will like his physicality.  But that’s physicality on the floor / chest down....not lumps forward.  Harsh on Taylor, but LJ has tough choices.

I’m not convinced LJ did pick both Elevens ahead of Saturday...I think that gives players a get-out, but I am sure he’s given assurances over involvement across the 3 games.

The good thing for me (and more importantly LJ) is that players are playing well, and players not playing will know that when they get their chance, they need to perform.  Pato being the prime example.  Not at the top of his game, misses out, and now finding it hard to get back in.  A delicate balance, but one LJ is getting right.

Tight game, would happily take a point.

Edit;  forgot to add:

Other notable players:

Gareth Barry, Hal Robson-Kanu, Oliver Burke, Boaz Myhill, James Morrison, Wes Hoolahan, and a certain J.Leko

Don’t disagree about going back to our regular formation but given the quality I think he might stick with it and match them up again. Certainly think he may be tempted to want 3 CH’s against Gayle and Rodriguez.

Same lineup as Saturday but

1. O’Dowda in for Dasilva, physically that’s a better match up against Phillips. 

2. I actually think he might start Taylor for this one and keep Fam for Friday. I think Taylor’s energy and movement will be more uncomfortable for what is a strong but slightly oil tanker defence.

3. Watkins for Eliason. Thought he did ok but wasn’t convinced about him more centrally against Sheff U. Watkins energy, aggression and extra physicality will suit this one better.

Tough game, i’m not really sure how good they are. Thought they were poor against Birmingham. Saw the Forest game earlier in the season and they were really poor for 80 minutes but could could’ve scored 3 in the last 10 minutes they were that good.

All in all bite your hand off for a point.

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

West Brom fans are adamant the pairing of Livermore and Brunt doesn't work. In fact looking at the team, their front 3 is fantastic for this division but the defence looks weak.

I think their back three is very good only thing it lacks is a bit of pace so that maybe good for the likes of O’Dowda, Eliasson and Weimann to exploit

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

I think their back three is very good only thing it lacks is a bit of pace so that maybe good for the likes of O’Dowda, Eliasson and Weimann to exploit

Their back three is their weakness in my opinion. Lacks pace and not great on the ball and something we can exploit as did Brum on Friday night. 

There for the taking if we are on our game 

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Despite 4 wins on the trot, attentions turn quickly to Tuesday night away to West Brom.  Another team likely to set up with 3 at the back.  The first few games of the season saw goals at both ends, so reverting to 3/5 at the back has brought results / goals into the normal range.  Under Darren Moore they appear to be a team willing to fight, and at home we can expect a tough match (aren’t they all tough?).  Hope City have a good following and if we can get a lead, then you can expect their fans to turn on them like in the FA cup game in 2015.

How do they line-up?

In a 352 most likely, but one of the WBs is more of a winger (Phillips) than the other (Townsend or Gibbs).

072968D0-4105-4F19-B3D0-DA7383E0CFD3.jpeg.26026d3b053cb46367fb62841c581809.jpeg

The players

GK - Sam Johnstone - finally left the Man Utd nest, signing during the summer.  Very good keeper at this level, but if I had one criticism it’s his kicking under pressure.  

CBs - Craig Dawson, ex-GB Olympic player who’s spent a lot of his time at West Brom, playing RB in Pulis’s 4 CBs defence.  Back in the centre now, and a threat from set-pieces.  Bartley, signed from Swansea, but ex-Leeds loanee who knows the Champ well.  Solid CB partner, brought thru the Arsenal ranks, partnering Luke Ayling.  Hegazy, Egyptian international who looks like a good fit for the physical and frenetic Champ.  A good signing.

RWB - Matt Phillips - obvious threat, quick, direct, eye for a goal.  Not keen to work the other way though.  How LJ decides to counter him, may dictate the formation we play (see later)

LWB - Conor Townsend - signed from Scunthorpe in the summer.  A good prospect, but I know little more than a LB by trade, so probably a bit more like Enda Stevens on Saturday.  Not sure why Kieran Gibbs was on the bench on Friday, but an England international, who I’m surprised didn’t find a move in the summer.  Likes to spring into the box, but maybe Moore has decided Phillips attacking instincts on the right needs some balance on the left?

CM - a very good mix.  Livermore the stocky, combative holding CM, who was playing for England last season.  I think we all know about him.  Chris Brunt, Northern Ireland international with one of the sweetest left pegs around, not just in the Champ.  Legs may have gone a bit, and played LB a fair bit last season.  Harvey Barnes, talented Leicester loanee, who likes to break forward with the ball and good feet to get shots away or play others in.

STs - Dwight Gayle - loves playing off the shoulder.  So reminds me of Ian Wright with his movement, and a pretty good (understatement!) finisher.  A real test for our CBs.  The other, Jay Rodriguez - my dangerman - is a good all round CF, happy to go long, happy to come short, happy on the deck, happy in the air.

On paper / screen they look pretty formidable!  So.....

How do City beat them?

This might be the night for a typical away performance, a smash and grab, either early goal and play tight, or keep them quiet and catch them on the break.

Following LJ matching up SU’s 352 on Saturday, I guess a fair few might think he should do the same again on Tuesday.

However, I think this is the night to revert to ‘our way’....and that’s two banks of four for me.  Not the night for Dasilva for me.

Key areas:

1. Kelly back to LB, with O’Dowda in front of him, offering protection against Phillips.
  2. Weimann, assuming he is the auto-pick of our 3x STs, will need to nip away at Livermore and not allow him to get easy ball either to the flanks or into Brunt and Barnes in space.
  3. Talking of Brunt and Barnes, we need to ensure it’s Pack and Brownhill taking care of them, and not being dragged onto Livermore, leaving Pack isolated.

I might go with Diedhiou over Taylor, and give Taylor the Wigan game.  Fam might be useful at the near list defensively, and I’m not sure Dawson, Bartley or Hegazy will like his physicality.  But that’s physicality on the floor / chest down....not lumps forward.  Harsh on Taylor, but LJ has tough choices.

I’m not convinced LJ did pick both Elevens ahead of Saturday...I think that gives players a get-out, but I am sure he’s given assurances over involvement across the 3 games.

The good thing for me (and more importantly LJ) is that players are playing well, and players not playing will know that when they get their chance, they need to perform.  Pato being the prime example.  Not at the top of his game, misses out, and now finding it hard to get back in.  A delicate balance, but one LJ is getting right.

Tight game, would happily take a point.

Edit;  forgot to add:

Other notable players:

Gareth Barry, Hal Robson-Kanu, Oliver Burke, Boaz Myhill, James Morrison, Wes Hoolahan, and a certain J.Leko

Quality post again - folks like you Dave really make the difference with your awesome input and time.  Now, when I phone my dad a bit later and talk about tomorrow's game I can quote your insights r.e the WBA players and pass them off as my own!  Just don't sue me!

Good side but do not scare me like Sheff U. I’d go with the more industrial starting XI rather than flair.

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly

Watkins JB Pack COD

Weimann Taylor

Press them in their half and stay solid and strong in ours trying to stifle them. Then after 65 min if we need a goal we have Fam, Eliasson and Paterson to come in. 

Think WBA will be right up in mix for autos so a ‘ free hit ‘ for me tomorrow night

Theyve earnt the free hit with the four wins - that was the big benefit of the result Sat for me

Are we capable of a result - yes

but in this league and WBAs squad , I wouldn’t be shocked to see us get a mauling either

Will be an interesting gauge of how we are looking

Free hit - Go Boys 

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think WBA will be right up in mix for autos so a ‘ free hit ‘ for me tomorrow night

Theyve earnt the free hit with the four wins - that was the big benefit of the result Sat for me

but in this league and WBAs squad , I wouldn’t be shocked to see us get a mauling either

Free hit - Go Boys 

I get the ‘free hit’, but the boys will be growing in confidence and maturity game by game.

Obviously a tough game on paper, but I think they’ll also be wary of us, especially the way we controlled the away game at Swansea.

I’m very interested in the team LJ selects.  Completely understood the starting eleven, and since Boro I’ve seen his tweaking as “sensible rotation”, rewarding players performances rather than “over-indulgent complication".  I hope this continues.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I get the ‘free hit’, but the boys will be growing in confidence and maturity game by game.

Obviously a tough game on paper, but I think they’ll also be wary of us, especially the way we controlled the away game at Swansea.

I’m very interested in the team LJ selects.  Completely understood the starting eleven, and since Boro I’ve seen his tweaking as “sensible rotation”, rewarding players performances rather than “over-indulgent complication".  I hope this continues.

Holden said that he and LJ watched the Baggies against Brum and that they look very useful going forward......that might suggest that LJ will set up defensively......or possibly fight fire with fire and set up offensively.........:dunno:

Whatever he decides on it’ll definitely be interesting to see if it paid off.

Personally I have a feeling it’ll be a 2-2 draw.....

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Free hit - Go Boys 

I think that is the beauty ( and frustration of this division) and applies to many teams.

We could equally win, draw or lose any of the next three games, notwithstanding our 4 wins on the trot. There are just too many teams with very good players that are capable of turning it on on their day, even when they are in a poor run. The hope this season is that we ( and the head coach)  are a bit more solid and street wise so better equipped to counter these teams.

Archived