IGNORED

Brentford - what’s their secret?

WessexPest

1 minute ago, spudski said:

It's worth looking into how they closed their academy and now run a B team playing 'friendlies' with close connections to the owners second team in Denmark.

in that respect a completely different structure to ours.

Bit like Watford and the Pozzo's to an extent? Links to Udinese and Granada surely helped!

That's the thing-comparing models of overachievers or surprise successes is always interesting, but ultimately hard to replicate because the models have been so diverse.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit like Watford and the Pozzo's to an extent? Links to Udinese and Granada surely helped!

That's the thing-comparing models of overachievers or surprise successes is always interesting, but ultimately hard to replicate because the models have been so diverse.

I think the difference being the Brentford owner bought the Danish side to try his formula on, to see if it worked. It did...they progressed quickly...then he took that formula to Brentford. A bit like trying before buying at a cheaper rate.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I think the difference being the Brentford owner bought the Danish side to try his formula on, to see if it worked. It did...they progressed quickly...then he took that formula to Brentford. A bit like trying before buying at a cheaper rate.

They do differ a bit, and that's interesting didn't quite know the history there.

My boyfriend is a Brentford season ticket holder and I live in London so go to quite a few away games. 

They have an excellent transfer policy and all in he club know and understand it. No one is ever over the age of 25, and they sell ever summer. They have replacements for every player and they play the same style of football no matter who the manager is. They don't have any 'leaders' on the pitch as they always know what they need to do. 

I think the key difference between us and them is consistency. They are consistently decent. When we are good, we are much better, but when we are worse, it's so much worse. Even at the beginning of last season when they couldn't win a game, they were playing well so they knew the points would come. 

Maupay - last season he missed so many good chances. He's young so will improve but really panics in front of the goal. Not a patch on Weimann. But will score more this season as he gets much service. They create so many more chances than most clubs. 

I'm gutted we didn't get Ollie Watkins. What a talent. 

Some a bit overboard on this thread. I believe Brentford will win the league this season but they are currently only 1 point ahead of us and last season  finished only 2 ahead having been below us for 95% of the season. Great football style but like to throw away a lead.

Or maybe we are also good and most don't give the manager/club/players the credit they deserve.

It's nothing too complicated.. They are just a well oiled machine. They 'employ the right people in the right positions - Coaching, scouting, management... all are top notch and share a common philosophy/goal that everybody is working towards. They constantly identify good players, develop them, sell them on for a profit and then start again, slowly building a better and better squad. It's the old Southampton model who were the absolute masters at it when they went from League 1 to Europe in a few seasons.

I'd like to think we're getting there ourselves in that respect. When you look at us in the period 2010-13 when we had a divided dressing room (allegedly), no playing philosophy, cushy jobs for the boys and an awful transfer policy, and compare it to now,, we have made real progress.

It's very early days, but it's very pleasing how we've made an absolute fortune this summer on player sales, yet still look strong with the likes of Hunt, Weimann and Kalas slotting in perfectly to our system. Add to that, two young uns in Elliasson and Kelly breaking through and there's a hint of that well oiled machine I was talking about! We keep going like this and we''ll be in a position to keep developing, selling, and rerecruiting, whilst continually increasing our reputation and spending power. I think we're getting there, my only lingering doubt is LJ, but that's for another time.

Surely it's Lansdowns faith and trust in LJ, and the forward planning and mapping out of our future that SL has entrusted to LJ that is bringing all this to fruition?

On 18/09/2018 at 18:16, bcfcbird said:

My boyfriend is a Brentford season ticket holder and I live in London so go to quite a few away games. 

They have an excellent transfer policy and all in he club know and understand it. No one is ever over the age of 25, and they sell ever summer. They have replacements for every player and they play the same style of football no matter who the manager is. They don't have any 'leaders' on the pitch as they always know what they need to do. 

I think the key difference between us and them is consistency. They are consistently decent. When we are good, we are much better, but when we are worse, it's so much worse. Even at the beginning of last season when they couldn't win a game, they were playing well so they knew the points would come. 

Maupay - last season he missed so many good chances. He's young so will improve but really panics in front of the goal. Not a patch on Weimann. But will score more this season as he gets much service. They create so many more chances than most clubs. 

I'm gutted we didn't get Ollie Watkins. What a talent. 

I really like Maupay.  He does squander chances, but he gets enough and creates enough from his movement to excuse him a few misses.

Archived