IGNORED

Ooh look!!!! Next stage of AG redevelopment now announced

RedM

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Also have to wonder if a 4000 seater indoor arena would be suitable for music events.

You’re probably right Rob but I’m hearing that the big outdoor stadium gig next summer has been confirmed as B*witched so expect well in excess of 20,000 for that. Smaller gigs will be quite well suited for the Arena though. 

4 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

I personally think it’ll take promotion, then staying up in the PL before the club consider redeveloping the Atyeo, we’d need to be selling out nearly every week, and only regular PL Football would ensure that.

With a significant number of Prem clubs profitable without monies from supporters, you have to wonder if it's worth doing.

Unless it unlocks loads of other revenue streams.

17 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Looks really good ..especially the area between the AG and the arena. With all those added food and drink concessions maybe they could loose the coffee bar from AG and expand the overly cramped Sports Store!!

I wonder if this was the plan all along I.e. temp smaller shop until this gets built then  either move shop to new bit or lose coffee shop and expand

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

You’re probably right Rob but I’m hearing that the big outdoor stadium gig next summer has been confirmed as B*witched so expect well in excess of 20,000 for that. Smaller gigs will be quite well suited for the Arena though. 

Maybe B*Witched could play the stadium, but the support could be in the basketball arena. Erasure would probably do a job for you.

Phase 3 which would make my world, is when a "secret" investor buys the Memorial Ground (couldn't give a fig where the gas end up) and turns it in to the training ground for Bristol Rugby. 

The ownership of the ground returns to the rugby club (sort of), the Mem is safe from redevelopment (apart from turning it into a world class rugby training centre that is) and every one is happy (well, almost everyone).

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I love that this is all happening when I've moved away from the City.  That is beautiful!! 

Can people now stop giving Bristol Sport grief?  Its all part of a plan. 

Do you think they will incorporate a bigger shop into this phase ;)

Also, great idea about the boxing.  A stable of Bristol Sport boxers would be ideal.  Maybe team up with matchroom :). 

Could this venue also be used for music? 

Maybe the darts as well.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Wow that looks amazing.  Does anybody on here watch the Bristol Flyers?

Personally, I have zero interest in basketball, but I guess it's an exciting game to watch.

Yeah, I do. Great fun watching it and bargain value for money as well (I use to play at School and College and watch the American NBA when I was younger). Very easy to get involved in even if you've never watched basketball. It is a little bit American-ised, but that just adds to the harmless entertainment.

Don't try to compare it to supporting or watching City and you'll be just fine. 

Definitely recommend it if you're interested and this is a fantastic announcement. Pictures look excellent and it'll make the whole site around Ashton Gate look even better.   So pleased we didn't move out of town all those years ago. 

So this is being presented as pretty much a done deal, but are there potential stumbling blocks here?

Could this be subject to similar objections to those which halted Ashton Vale?  I would presume not, as it's a very different scenario, but this is distinctly an expansion rather than a redevelopment of the existing stadium, so might that be harder to push through?

All genuine questions for someone who knows more about these things than I do.

Looks absolutely fantastic by the way!

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So this is being presented as pretty much a done deal, but are there potential stumbling blocks here?

Could this be subject to similar objections to those which halted Ashton Vale?  I would presume not, as it's a very different scenario, but this is distinctly an expansion rather than a redevelopment of the existing stadium, so might that be harder to push through?

All genuine questions for someone who knows more about these things than I do.

Looks absolutely fantastic by the way!

I would have thought that there would have been some sort of agreement to future development at AG in exchange for SL not appealing and winning a costly appeal (for the council) over AV, I suspect.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would have thought that there would have been some sort of agreement to future development at AG in exchange for SL not appealing and winning a costly appeal (for the council) over AV, I suspect.

Interesting.  But that wouldn't prevent local residents objecting would it?  I don't really know why they would, but they have form for small mindedness...

No doubt that this an impressive looking facility and a real boon to sport in Bristol and the local BS3 economy. Personally I have no interest in Basketball. Having watched a few games while living up north I found it pedestrian and would have been better staying in a bar until the last five minutes. Now if Lansdown wanted to add a women’s netball team to the portfolio I’d be up for watching that. At top levels it is very fast and skilful and like basketball on speed. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

No doubt that this an impressive looking facility and a real boon to sport in Bristol and the local BS3 economy. Personally I have no interest in Basketball. Having watched a few games while living up north I found it pedestrian and would have been better staying in a bar until the last five minutes. Now if Lansdown wanted to add a women’s netball team to the portfolio I’d be up for watching that. At top levels it is very fast and skilful and like basketball on speed. 

The National Netball league was being show on Sky for a few year, just wondering if it is still going.

39 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Also have to wonder if a 4000 seater indoor arena would be suitable for music events.

4000 seated could be 5000 once people stand, which people want to do at concerts, even allowing for the loss of seating because of having the stage at one end. It’s still bigger than anything Bristol can offer isn’t it

43 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

"Lets all be honest Ashton is still a shithole."

Really?? North Street, Bars and restaurants, Ashton Park, Metrobus, long established housing, views across to the Mendips, Suspension Bridge and Ashton Court, Ashton Gate Stadium soon to be Ashton Gate Sporting Quarter. I take it he hasn't been around this way lately, Oh....hang on....

I remember when all this was fields.

Just now, RedM said:

4000 seated could be 5000 once people stand, which people want to do at concerts, even allowing for the loss of seating because of having the stage at one end. It’s still bigger than anything Bristol can offer isn’t it

Would guess that clever designers would try and make any space as adaptable as possible.

13 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Yeah, I do. Great fun watching it and bargain value for money as well (I use to play at School and College and watch the American NBA when I was younger). Very easy to get involved in even if you've never watched basketball. It is a little bit American-ised, but that just adds to the harmless entertainment.

Don't try to compare it to supporting or watching City and you'll be just fine. 

Definitely recommend it if you're interested and this is a fantastic announcement. Pictures look excellent and it'll make the whole site around Ashton Gate look even better.   So pleased we didn't move out of town all those years ago. 

What if we bring JET for the atmosphere?

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't have any interest in basketball either.  But I'd be certainly be curious to watch it in a brand new 4000 seater arena as part of the Bristol Sport collection of teams to which I am starting to feel a sense of affinity, and I'm certain my young son would be keen to go to.  And even better, I'd be able to get a discount with my membership, and my ticket cost would not only benefit the basketball but also the football club that I love.  And maybe having been once, I might well enjoy it and want to go again.

And there in a nutshell is the Bristol Sport philosophy working in everyone's favour.

PS - no reason not to think a netball team wouldn't be added at some point - in fact I'd say it seems more likely than not.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Would guess that clever designers would try and make any space as adaptable as possible.

I think so. To be far our stadium has been developed with quality in mind, ok the toilets are breeze block and pipes but in the hospitality areas and some other areas I’ve had a peep in there has been no expense spared or corners cut

Archived