IGNORED

Ooh look!!!! Next stage of AG redevelopment now announced

RedM

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Apart from the the two fighters facing off and bad mouthing each other boxing  is not particularly boring, just too brutal for may taste.

Boxing fans says it’s skilful but I can’t see punching the other guy whilst he tries to dodge away and then punch you back that skilful.

I am sure there would be a queue of people wanting to demo this theory.

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Looking at those plans, it’s such a shame that it couldn’t get delayed enough to bid something else there, linked to this.  

Loads of rumours years ago that the reason it was delayed for so long despite them having planning permission was trying to hold SL to ransom in buying the land.

Would have been good for a Hotel or something standalone but not worth paying over the odds for seeing as it doesn't add to the site without potentially having to cross a main road.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just did a bit of googling re capacity of other places.

02 Academy Bristol - 1600 (for gigs)

Roundhouse - (3300) standing

02 Brixton - 4921

So it would be a great size of venue to host music events if allowed.

Roundhouse in Camden is great for gigs, seen Frank Turner there last 2 years, I’d the new arena is comparible size if not bigger it will be great, might not get big big acts who play stadiums but could get them playing Glasto warmups like Foo Fighters played at Cheese and Grain in Frome which is much smaller than roundhouse

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Apart from the the two fighters facing off and bad mouthing each other boxing  is not particularly boring, just too brutal for may taste.

Boxing fans says it’s skilful but I can’t see punching the other guy whilst he tries to dodge away and then punch you back that skilful.

Could I suggest that you refrain from advertising your ignorance then?

I see zero skill in rolling a ball up a bit of grass but there you go.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Did see about Lando joining McClaren, but not particularly kept up with motor sports at all lately.

Can't say i follow it either but it made pretty big headlines recently that as an 18yo Lando has been promoted from test driver to Full race driver next season in a reshuffle. Even made the news here in oz, must be good news for British F1 fans seeing another British driver especially so young go up against Lewis Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Roundhouse in Camden is great for gigs, seen Frank Turner there last 2 years, I’d the new arena is comparible size if not bigger it will be great, might not get big big acts who play stadiums but could get them playing Glasto warmups like Foo Fighters played at Cheese and Grain in Frome which is much smaller than roundhouse

Loads of bands seem to be too big for the average arena yet couldn't fill a stadium but draw massive crowds at festivals, so it could be a great half way point.

Selling 19,000 seats is probably beyond someone like the Kaiser chiefs (only using that band as an example as they were just on the radio), so the proposed Bristol Arena would likely be beyond them, but you could see them selling 3 or 4 thousand tickets quite easily.

This was fantastic news to wake up to this morning. Though the cynic in me says it's a little to convenient that YTL release their proposal brochure and online project site on the same day bristol sport announces a private arena and conference centre? ?? Something tells me that there has been a connection between temple island developments, YTL and Bristol Sport. Or maybe I've been watching too many episodes of ancient aliens...

Anyway! Thought's on the development - on the whole I love it! I'm not sure about the giant hotel blocking out the Lansdown stand and also if the Flyers are going to have their branding all over the arena then there really is no reason why we (and the rugby) can't have our logos on the stadium exterior. 

I'm so pleased to see this development moving ahead. It will rejuvenate a tired area of town and (if BS marketing dept has any sense) will surely start attracting headline music acts away from Cardiff and into Bristol - they now have a choice of BS owned venues! 

Dilly dilly!

59 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

With a significant number of Prem clubs profitable without monies from supporters, you have to wonder if it's worth doing.

Unless it unlocks loads of other revenue streams.

With Wembley likely to be sold, and England to be playing games all over the country, would increasing the capacity by another 2-3000 mean we’d see them playing at the Gate?

Places like Middlesbrough, Derby Leicester and Ipswich have hosted the national team, so why not Bristol?

I realise that solely isn’t enough to justify redeveloping the Atyeo, but it would certainly raise Bristol’s profile, and indeed change many people’s perception of the club.

1 minute ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Can't say i follow it either but it made pretty big headlines recently that as an 18yo Lando has been promoted from test driver to Full race driver next season in a reshuffle. Even made the news here in oz, must be good news for British F1 fans seeing another British driver especially so young go up against Lewis Hamilton.

Literally just saw that- I might pay more attention to F1 next season. (Been dull ever since refuelling was stopped IMO, reduced the amount of available race strategies)

I had seen he was a test driver and thought 'blimey he's done well' a year later and he's announced as a driver for them, that's some incredible progress.

I guess the only grounds for rejection are for things like noise, parking and transport but seeing as it shouldn't add much if any to the biggest burden which is when City or the Bears are home they'd be hard pushed to turn it down especially as it'll probably create more jobs than those businesses currently provide.

The usual NIMBYs will probably object due to the increased foot traffic past their houses on even more days and nights but i'm not sure you can object to businesses being used more often providing the arena doesn't create much/any additional crowd noise.

I do remember there being a clause in our stadium approvals which meant if we achieved over 24k? for x amount of games a season we had to provide additional parking solutions. Can possibly see the council forcing us to implement that sooner as part of this but the new car park should help a little. 

1 hour ago, BrightCiderLife said:

I’ve read the brochure they’ve produced expalining it all. Despite how annoying it is that someone swallowed a thesaurus while writing it, the plan itself is very ambitious and impressive. As an exiled London fan who treks back every week, a hotel and train station would be welcome additions that weren't immediately obvious.

The other bit of news tucked away in there that I hadn’t seen elsewhere was that the new stadium has increased hospitality revenues twelvefold. Before the rebuild £250k per year was made from hospitality, now it is a cool £3million. That’s a lot of extra money!

Yet this dumb Sag on their forum doesn’t see how a new arena , eating outlets , bars , hotels and a car park will benefit us !!!!

:laughcont:

Reading their forum is a good laugh. 

Some how they think having a basketball team next to their stadium that has an all time crowd attendance of 750 will see us off....

Whilst I'll admit it looks pretty, it only just goes to show that whilst day by day they may be improving when we're not right now, they're losing the sense of identity at their club.

The Bristol City we once knew & hated is slowly becoming Bristol Sport - AKA MK Dons of Bristol, a franchise.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have you ever played competitive bowls?  

Its an immensely difficult and skilful game to play to a decent standard. 

Really?! Wow, it's almost like people who don't have the first clue shouldn't chat nonsense about stuff isn't it!

I realise this may be an alien concept to your good self of course.

46 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

No doubt that this an impressive looking facility and a real boon to sport in Bristol and the local BS3 economy. Personally I have no interest in Basketball. Having watched a few games while living up north I found it pedestrian and would have been better staying in a bar until the last five minutes. Now if Lansdown wanted to add a women’s netball team to the portfolio I’d be up for watching that. At top levels it is very fast and skilful and like basketball on speed. 

Very expensive probably but wondering whether a retractable court could be feasible, means a lot more use and another sport in the area.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Loads of bands seem to be too big for the average arena yet couldn't fill a stadium but draw massive crowds at festivals, so it could be a great half way point.

Selling 19,000 seats is probably beyond someone like the Kaiser chiefs (only using that band as an example as they were just on the radio), so the proposed Bristol Arena would likely be beyond them, but you could see them selling 3 or 4 thousand tickets quite easily.

Kaiser Chiefs funnily enough announced yesterday they are playing Bath Pavilion next Feb, small venue only about 1000 (?). No doubt if our new AG facility was available they would like to play there. 

Incidently I have seen them 4 times and are really good, 3 at Glastonbury and once at  Westonburt. Westonburt attract some decent acts but is of course outdoors and a pain in the arse as far as travel and traffic. Our Arena could easily attract these acts

50 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting.  But that wouldn't prevent local residents objecting would it?  I don't really know why they would, but they have form for small mindedness...

Like these you mean?

1933604160_dogwalkers.jpg.68426fedd5c425d8c50574f8f140590e.jpg364152119_villagegreen.jpg.cdb365438bf0f34cec121d20862a9ae5.jpg1337876747_ladygolfer.jpg.a8c81b0c44c46f677a9c551139130284.jpg

Whoops, meant this picture instead of the last ( don't think she's small minded)! :)

golfers.jpg.6190aeb57a7bd10e0bcde576b5beae4e.jpg

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have you ever played competitive bowls?  

Its an immensely difficult and skilful game to play to a decent standard. 

As bowls is played mainly by elderly incontinent OAPs.......................the real skill is in clenching their bum cheeks together and actually bending to roll the wood  without pissing or shitting themselves in the process.  Big respect to you for achieving that

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

As bowls is played mainly by elderly incontinent OAPs.......................the real skill is in clenching their bum cheeks together and actually bending to roll the wood  without pissing or shitting themselves in the process.  Big respect to you for achieving that

Can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone become incontinant whist playing bowls.....

Archived