IGNORED

Ooh look!!!! Next stage of AG redevelopment now announced

RedM

I can see the hotel(s) being very popular too. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that a lot of visiting fans and exiled City fans could be encouraged to stay over after an evening game and then possibly stay for the following day's sports. 

For example, a few Villa fans might have preferred to stay close to AG after their Friday night game next week than starting their weekend with a lot of driving on a Friday. If weekend packages were on sale for City, B&B and then the Bears on the following Saturday, I could see that selling a few more tickets and generating some extra revenue. I would certainly have been up for it. It is easy to see the attraction for stag dos etc if there is boxing/live music on the same weekend as a City game. 

This next phase of the Bristol Sport project is very exciting and we might now start to see the real advantages of this setup. 

Just now, BrightCiderLife said:

I can see the hotel(s) being very popular too. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that a lot of visiting fans and exiled City fans could be encouraged to stay over after an evening game and then possibly stay for the following day's sports. 

For example, a few Villa fans might have preferred to stay close to AG after their Friday night game next week than starting their weekend with a lot of driving on a Friday. If weekend packages were on sale for City, B&B and then the Bears on the following Saturday, I could see that selling a few more tickets and generating some extra revenue. I would certainly have been up for it. It is easy to see the attraction for stag dos etc if there is boxing/live music on the same weekend as a City game. 

This next phase of the Bristol Sport project is very exciting and we might now start to see the real advantages of this setup. 

Villa fans will go to WsM - it's in their DNA.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

@Davefevs does. He certainly enjoys it 

Effin’ love it. Take Joe and my daughter. We all have season cards. 

2 hours ago, Full nelson said:

I had zero interest in the nba and still don’t!! But I love watching the flyers and live basketball over at Filton. It’s a fun evening in a very friendly family atmosphere. 

It certainly is. 

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Can’t wait for this to be built.

Sports Bar/ Fans Village for drinks, watch City, then grab more food and drinks, then off to the basketball,  then head to the hotel at the end of the evening. What a day!

Absolutely. 3pm footie, bite to eat, 730pm tip-off, all without leaving AG!!!

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

When are the games usually played?  I'd be interested to stay after a City match to watch a game, see what it's like.

Fridays and Saturday tipoffs are usually 730pm. Rarely play Sunday’s but those are typically 4pm. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

If that happens they have a new season card holder waiting to buy

Get one now!!!

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I’m hearing 3 years. Sounds quite a long time to me?

Got to get Wickes off first!

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Great development for Bristol Sport.

It wouldn’t enter my mind to attend a match tho!  I find basketball utterly boring, along with F1........

:sleeping:

It’s end to end, but like City 5 Hull 5 

Looks amazing and I really hope this happens.  Basketball is great and I'd watch the Flyers much more if they played in BS3 (although in fairness, a drive to Filton doesn't take too long currently).  The plans seem great though and it'd be fantastic for south Bristol and sport in the city in general.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Also have to wonder if a 4000 seater indoor arena would be suitable for music events.

I don't see why not

1 hour ago, Sydneybcfc said:

They use the Olympic basketball arena from 2000 as the biggest arena in Sydney so it is possible, it all depends on how they build it as to be decent for concerts you need it to be as long as possible. Because the court is so small vs a football pitch once you put a stage in up one end you obviously lose a lot of seating both behind it and to the side. I'm sure they're planning on it being a 4k basketball, 3k music venue but it all depends on space.

You may lose some seats but you will gain a lot due to the standing as well. Hope they do go down the music route on top as well

It's great that this sort of facility is being built in South Bristol.  Basketball is increasingly popular and it's another step towards getting all of the facilities worked 365 days a year.  I wonder if there's going to be some sensible public infrastructure work to go along with it and ease congestion etc.

I'm still concerned about the ownership model though.  If this is indeed philanthropy then isn't there a way to protect the clubs against the kind of asset strippers that become interested once a venture is a commercial success?  Some sort of trust or something?

I don't think SL has any dubious intentions but what happens in the long term?  I don't think his son has demonstrated any particular aptitude for running things without the help of real grown ups.  Could we end up with our stadium owned by someone who doesn't have the football club's best interests at heart?

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

It's great that this sort of facility is being built in South Bristol.  Basketball is increasingly popular and it's another step towards getting all of the facilities worked 365 days a year.  I wonder if there's going to be some sensible public infrastructure work to go along with it and ease congestion etc.

I'm still concerned about the ownership model though.  If this is indeed philanthropy then isn't there a way to protect the clubs against the kind of asset strippers that become interested once a venture is a commercial success?  Some sort of trust or something?

I don't think SL has any dubious intentions but what happens in the long term?  I don't think his son has demonstrated any particular aptitude for running things without the help of real grown ups.  Could we end up with our stadium owned by someone who doesn't have the football club's best interests at heart?

As far as I’m aware, Bristol City Holdings own both Ashton Gate Stadium and Bristol City F.C. In which case, whoever or whatever owns the Football club will own the stadium. 

14 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

As far as I’m aware, Bristol City Holdings own both Ashton Gate Stadium and Bristol City F.C. In which case, whoever or whatever owns the Football club will own the stadium. 

That's true but as the commercial entity that owns the whole lot (pula) grows it becomes attractive to people who have no interest in sport but plenty of interest in real estate. I think it is worth protecting. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yet this dumb Sag on their forum doesn’t see how a new arena , eating outlets , bars , hotels and a car park will benefit us !!!!

:laughcont:

Reading their forum is a good laugh. 

Some how they think having a basketball team next to their stadium that has an all time crowd attendance of 750 will see us off....

Whilst I'll admit it looks pretty, it only just goes to show that whilst day by day they may be improving when we're not right now, they're losing the sense of identity at their club.

The Bristol City we once knew & hated is slowly becoming Bristol Sport - AKA MK Dons of Bristol, a franchise.

None of that is false at all, in fact it’s all very true. Bristol City FC has lost its identity. Nonetheless, exciting times

I will add one word of caution, though it's excellent news about the redevelopments!

The leisure thing is excellent and may well work, but other clubs have done this in the last 10-20 years and in some cases their leisure/hotel facilities have run at a loss! It's not always a catch-all, but then again Bristol offers a much more favourable demographic and type of city for it to flourish than say Bolton.

This 'losing our identity' myth is utter bollocks. How on earth have we lost our identity just because we've got a new stadium? Have the other 75% of clubs in the Championship with new facilities also lost their identities?

If anything with the national media coverage last year we've gained far more of an identity, most fans consider us to be a club like Brighton, that plays attractive football and will undoubtedly get to the Prem (I know Brighton already have), it's just a case of when.

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

This 'losing our identity' myth is utter bollocks. How on earth have we lost our identity just because we've got a new stadium? Have the other 75% of clubs in the Championship with new facilities also lost their identities?

If anything with the national media coverage last year we've gained far more of an identity, most fans consider us to be a club like Brighton, that plays attractive football and will undoubtedly get to the Prem (I know Brighton already have), it's just a case of when.

Well the stadium isn’t what’s made us lose our identity, although we have lost the Eastend. 

The thing that has lost us our identity is the full charade that is Bristol Sport

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I will add one word of caution, though it's excellent news about the redevelopments!

The leisure thing is excellent and may well work, but other clubs have done this in the last 10-20 years and in some cases their leisure/hotel facilities have run at a loss! It's not always a catchall, but then again Bristol offers a much more favourable demographic and type of city for it to flourish than say Bolton.

Doesn't Mark Kelly have a background in hotels and hospitality?

Might be that his historical knowledge of the sector means they can avoid the pitfalls and recruit strongly.

10 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Just the 15ers scraping the barrel for any semblance of an "insult", to throw at us.

Archived