IGNORED

Ooh look!!!! Next stage of AG redevelopment now announced

RedM

3 hours ago, Selred said:

Can’t wait for this to be built.

Sports Bar/ Fans Village for drinks, watch City, then grab more food and drinks, then off to the basketball,  then head to the hotel at the end of the evening. What a day!

Sounds expensive to me. 

Ill stick to a pint of gold and toddle off home after watching city. Looks like a good development though. 

At some stage they will have to update the Atyeo and ultimately the Dolman I would have thought. That will be more difficult !

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yet this dumb Sag on their forum doesn’t see how a new arena , eating outlets , bars , hotels and a car park will benefit us !!!!

:laughcont:

Reading their forum is a good laugh. 

Some how they think having a basketball team next to their stadium that has an all time crowd attendance of 750 will see us off....

Whilst I'll admit it looks pretty, it only just goes to show that whilst day by day they may be improving when we're not right now, they're losing the sense of identity at their club.

The Bristol City we once knew & hated is slowly becoming Bristol Sport - AKA MK Dons of Bristol, a franchise.

They really are a bunch of absolute whoppers at time. The only club in Bristol to have played outside of Bristol is themselves. They’ve played at 3 grounds in last 50 years of so. The definition of a franchise is there very selves. 

3 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

No, the Eastend that created an atmosphere at every game and was an intimidation 

The East End (once it was seated) created no more atmosphere the the current S82, if anything S82 do a better job as they are slowly but surely pulling in the people around them making the 'noise creation' within the stadium grow.

The East End of old, as a terrace, was a very different beast of a type that is now long gone from football. In many ways this is a loss to the game, but in many other ways it is no bad thing either.

5 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Yes, the development is exciting for ‘sports fans’ but as a fan of Bristol City FC and not Bristol Sport it’s hard to swallow as we’re not what we once was 

Yes let’s keep doing things the way they’ve always been done at Bristol City, that’s proven to work really well over the last 40 years. The way that has made us arguably the biggest club never to have played Premier League football. The way that left us playing League One football with an aging stadium and unsustainable losses.

Let’s stand still.

Let’s not be innovative.

Let’s not try something different to set ourselves apart from our rivals.

5 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

No, the Eastend that created an atmosphere at every game and was an intimidation 

That was closed for many years in 90-2000s period. Did we lose our identify then as well ?

2 hours ago, RedM said:

4000 seated could be 5000 once people stand, which people want to do at concerts, even allowing for the loss of seating because of having the stage at one end. It’s still bigger than anything Bristol can offer isn’t it

It is mentioned that it is 4000 capacity, it doesn't mention seated or standing, so have a feeling that could be the maximum

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

There's a couple of racing drivers signed to Bristol Sport too aren't there?

At least one of them is not anymore, hence the reason he signed for an F1 team and there was no mention in these parts

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Loads of bands seem to be too big for the average arena yet couldn't fill a stadium but draw massive crowds at festivals, so it could be a great half way point.

Selling 19,000 seats is probably beyond someone like the Kaiser chiefs (only using that band as an example as they were just on the radio), so the proposed Bristol Arena would likely be beyond them, but you could see them selling 3 or 4 thousand tickets quite easily.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Kaiser Chiefs funnily enough announced yesterday they are playing Bath Pavilion next Feb, small venue only about 1000 (?). No doubt if our new AG facility was available they would like to play there. 

Incidently I have seen them 4 times and are really good, 3 at Glastonbury and once at  Westonburt. Westonburt attract some decent acts but is of course outdoors and a pain in the arse as far as travel and traffic. Our Arena could easily attract these acts

I think you would still get many bands that could sell out larger stadiums play at a 4000 arena. I watched Kasabian at Birmingham with about 16000 (I think) and have also seen them at Swindon Oasis which was a lot smaller at 3000 (I swear it was smaller than that though).

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The acoustics in the East End were brilliant though- like-minded fans singing, chanting + excellent acoustics + fans being quite close to the pitch= An excellent atmosphere even with not a huge number of fans.

Within the stand maybe, but next to nothing outside of it.

5 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

The East End (once it was seated) created no more atmosphere the the current S82, if anything S82 do a better job as they are slowly but surely pulling in the people around them making the 'noise creation' within the stadium grow.

The East End of old, as a terrace, was a very different beast of a type that is now long gone from football. In many ways this is a loss to the game, but in many other ways it is no bad thing either.

I went to AG for the first time in three or four years last Saturday, working for Opta Sports. I've been many times over the years with Yeovil (and have sat in three different sides of the ground) but the noise and the atmosphere on Saturday was as good as I can remember it. The corner segment between Dolman and "behind the goal" was very noisy and fairly constant too. I'd be surprised if you have lost that much noise going from East End to what you have now. 

11 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Yes, the development is exciting for ‘sports fans’ but as a fan of Bristol City FC and not Bristol Sport it’s hard to swallow as we’re not what we once was 

My guess is that this one hangs around with Sagheads and has simply swallowed the bollocks they come out with.

Our ‘identity’ is stronger than Rovers, the fact our owner dabbles in other sports doesn’t change that, neither does a ridiculous set of ’quarterz’.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The acoustics in the East End were brilliant though- like-minded fans singing, chanting + excellent acoustics + fans being quite close to the pitch= An excellent atmosphere even with not a huge number of fans.

I loved the East End but S82 have done a fantastic job trying to create an atmosphere in what is essentially a new, modern all seater stadium. 

2 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

It is mentioned that it is 4000 capacity, it doesn't mention seated or standing, so have a feeling that could be the maximum

At least one of them is not anymore, hence the reason he signed for an F1 team and there was no mention in these parts

I am unsure as to why we were sponsoring Lando. His Dad was a partner in H&L so can see the link there but his dad is a multi millionaire himself so why did he need Bristol Sports backing? 

Don't get me wrong it's great to see an English guy get a seat, especially a local one, however McLarens best days are firmly behind them so I doubt he will make much on an impact before being disposed of.

The problem with McLaren is they thought they had the best chassis on the grid but the Honda engine was holding them back, they then switched to Renault power where it soon showed that despite having a engine capable of winning a few grand Prix a season their chassis was actually one of the worst on the grid. Renault now once again have their own team so you would imagine them to be a little bit coy regarding information they share about the engine to their customers, hence Red Bull jumping ship.

McLaren are so far behind and don't have the conviction to stick with a plan I don't think we will see them return to the front of the grid for a very long time. The ironic thing is that the Honda engine is actually developing into a good engine and I can see Red Bull taking a leap forward with them. 

45 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Hats off to Lansdown. He has already put 50 million into the stadium, plus he is financing new training grounds for both us and the Rugby and investing heavily in the rugby playing squad and now this. 

Genuine question, do you honestly think he is doing all this for the love of it, or is he an astute businessman who is making a nice return ?

1 minute ago, Johnr1986 said:

Impressive stuff full credit to landsdown for striving to bring us and Bristol into the future,

can’t help but think the houses behind and the Atyeo will be next if we ever reach and maintained the promise land. 

Thing is, we would realistically only rebuild that end in the Prem?

Already proven matchday income is NOT needed anymore, so if it is only going to increase the away end, why bother?

We already have a bigger ground than some Prem sides

24 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

The east end that was actually on the south end of the ground with pillars all over the place, why not go the whole hog and wade ankle deep in piss in the toilets again in the hunt for nostalgia?

1 minute ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Genuine question, do you honestly think he is doing all this for the love of it, or is he an astute businessman who is making a nice return ?

Both. I think they both go hand in hand. He loves Bristol and the sports teams and he loves to make money. I'm not sure of the financial details but sounds like the money generated goes into our pockets rather than into Lansdowns? I'm sure there will be some clever accounting going on however it is set up.

He could be spunking his money on super yachts etc but seems to live quite a private modest life.

5 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Impressive stuff full credit to landsdown for striving to bring us and Bristol into the future,

can’t help but think the houses behind and the Atyeo will be next if we ever reach and maintained the promise land. 

Got a feeling we own a few but much like it being fairly quiet that SL owned all of the land to build this you’ll only ever know for sure when it’s annouced

7 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Either way it’s to the benifit of us all so fair play to him. 

3 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Thing is, we would realistically only rebuild that end in the Prem?

Already proven matchday income is NOT needed anymore, so if it is only going to increase the away end, why bother?

We already have a bigger ground than some Prem sides

On its own no, but add some boxes and corporate areas and then it's more of an attractive proposition.

There has been rumours about him buying the land in secret for the arena for many years and that's proven to be true, there has also been rumours about him buying up the houses...

Archived