IGNORED

Burnley running unpaid job advert for "steward" role

EnderMB

Burnley have just deleted the tweet, but a screenshot of the advert they put out on Twitter can be found here.

ijXT9ki.jpg

It's absolutely disgusting that a business that boasts a several million pound profit is running unpaid job ads for roles that absolutely deserve payment, and thankfully their fans are kicking off over it.

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/shameful-burnley-football-club-slammed-by-fans-for-unpaid-work-ad-1-9354550

This isn't just a Burnley thing, either. A few Football League teams allegedly run similar programmes, with the promoted benefit being that you get a ticket for free. Crystal Palace even have a website dedicated to their programme.

https://cpfcgamesmakers.org.uk/

Shocked and disappointed at Burnley- always considered them a fairly likeable club! In an area with pretty low wages too, and a club that turns big profits being in PL...:no:

The role looks more like a matchday ambassador type role rather than steward though, but regardless no particular excuse!

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/burnley-football-club-defends-unpaid-volunteer-scheme-1-9354801

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I must have read that differently, that ISN'T an advert for a steward it is like our "Matchday embassadors" that direct people and offer a welcome and advice etc

Am sure our's get a match ticket? So would guess it is nothing that unusual

That was my exact reading also.

Unsure about multi million pound profit companies having unpaid staff, but yeah I saw it as ambassador as opposed to steward too.

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I must have read that differently, that ISN'T an advert for a steward it is like our "Matchday embassadors" that direct people and offer a welcome and advice etc

They may not be able to watch the match, according to the ad.

56 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think the issue a lot of people have with these type of roles is where the responsibilities start to grow to that of a steward.

Having match-day ambassadors isn't a terrible thing, as long as they get a ticket to the game and are able to watch it, but to ask all of that off of a volunteer and to say that they might not even be able to see the game is too much.

10 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I think the issue a lot of people have with these type of roles is where the responsibilities start to grow to that of a steward.

Having match-day ambassadors isn't a terrible thing, as long as they get a ticket to the game and are able to watch it, but to ask all of that off of a volunteer and to say that they might not even be able to see the game is too much.

Agreed.

Either pay the going rate and accept they are less than likely to see the game.

Or have them in say 12-3 on a Saturday and no later than 3, then provide them with a free ticket.

Not some halfway house.

8 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Nobody forces these people to take these roles

Unless someone is young- student perhaps- and looking to get some voluntary work for the CV- or retired and looking to get out the house, don't really see the incentive to take a role like that unpaid when Burnley posted healthy profits tbh.

Archived