IGNORED

WBA v Bristol City Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Tonight has proved how lacking in organisation our centre midfield is at times, first goal sloppy pass by Kelly both centre midfielders are ahead of the ball, 2nd and 3rd goals we were wide open down the middle.

Kelly has been sloppy, Hunt has no idea where his man is when West Brom attack, Watkins struggling to get into the game, I feel sorry for ODowda, Taylor and Wiemann.

But a clear message you have to take your chances and Wiemanns was a sitter.

Agree about the midfield. When we lost the ball we were very out of position in that area of the pitch. Sometimes you need a player who won’t always be ahead of the ball! 

I really don’t get how wide open we are tonight.  We seemed to just think we would out score them.  On Saturday we were the home team but changed our system to try to match the opposition which was strange for an on form home team.  Away from home where you would kind of get it if we stayed tight we’ve shown wba no respect and gone so open.  Very strange.

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Nothing wrong with saying something is shit, when it is. 

It's a bit tiresome when you have two particular posters that are utterly silent when things are going well, but pipe up relentlessly when we lose though.

I guarantee that there will be a thread each from Londoner and Andy082005 in about 45 minutes time... Unless we manage a miraculous comeback that is.

3 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I really don’t get how wide open we are tonight.  We seemed to just think we would out score them.  On Saturday we were the home team but changed our system to try to match the opposition which was strange for an on form home team.  Away from home where you would kind of get it if we stayed tight we’ve shown wba no respect and gone so open.  Very strange.

Why so suprised weve been like this under LJ for 2 years

22 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Come on. TV games are the only ones @Londoner sees. Let him have his fun while he can, this is the only time he gets to comment along live.

I don't think that Londoner chooses to comment based on whether he's able to do so live or not. It's got much more to do with whether we're losing or not. 

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Back down to earth with a bit of a bump. 

Frustrating to watch - had we taken one of our several early chances, it would have been a different story.

WBA have the likes of Dwight Gayle, Jay Rodriguez and Barnes who have the premier league quality to each capitalise on 3 big mistakes to score 3 clinical goals.

Simple as that for me. We don't look outplayed at all, just caught out by Barnes' pace and Gayle's movement, skill and Kelly/Hunt both not tracking back quick enough.

If the WBA tactic was to sit back and catch us on the break, fair play to them, Darren Moore has got one over LJ here.

Still positives for City in the way we've played for large parts but a big wake up call for a few who have switched off at the back, you can't do that at this level. An early second half goal for us could make this interesting, but more likely is another for them on the break at this stage as we push for a comeback.

I mean, it's how they played last year in their great run under Moore- it's not a huge shock to me- that us playing into their hands might benefit them greatly.

Was hopeful our shape may have been more compact though.

Worth noting that their 4-3 at Norwich- they were largely outplayed and won by being clinical and utilising a fair bit the counterattack.

1 minute ago, Tears in rain said:

City naive when defending.

All well and good being in the WBA half with the ball but the midfield got very disjointed when to many players joined the attack. Overall that’s what allowed the space to be created from counter attacks. 

They used the width and breezed past our full backs without much of a challenge and did a similar thing but ran straight through the midfield. 

Someone had to take responsibility and make a foul in their half or at least around the Centre line. 

Just haul the bloke down and get on with it. Got three subs if you get booked. 

Nail firmly on the head, Pack and Brownhill have gotten over excited by our start to the game and both have constantly been caught out by a move breaking down and being in front of the ball, leaving the centre midfield wide open for a counter attack.

I thought that at last some form of discipline and organisation had been achieved in centre midfield, that is clearly not the case, judging by tonight.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Here’s some perspective.

We’ve won four in a row and, assuming we lose tonight, it’ll only be our second defeat of the season. Defeats will happen in a tough division, particularly away to a side recently relegated from the top division and with a substantially superior budget.

Not at all bad given a difficult summer when many predicted a season of struggle.

Would it kill you to even acknowledge that?

It must be a coincidence that two of the noisest pricks ( @Andy082005 @Londoner ) that were predicting a season of doom that have been proven wrong until now are mouthing off now we're losing to, perhaps the best team in the division.  

Sad.

What I don't understand. As clever as LJ was Saturday matching SheffU by playing 3 at the back, it seems strange he didn't go the same way against the highest scoring team in the division. That said we could easily have been 3 up before they scored. 
I think it's either go 3-5-2 ,a bit after the horse has bolted but midfield 3 should help steady the ship. Or we  throw Fam and Eliasson on and try to get the goals back and rick it going to 6 or more.

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

It's a bit tiresome when you have two particular posters that are utterly silent when things are going well, but pipe up relentlessly when we lose though.

I guarantee that there will be a thread each from Londoner and Andy082005 in about 45 minutes time... Unless we manage a miraculous comeback that is.

Still talking about me. Pretending I'm blocked 

Kelly had a bit of a mare for a while but he's young and it will happen, but he's got a lot of quality and he'll learn from it.

I was surprised that LJ decided on a formation which more or less guaranteed we'd be outnumbered in midfield, especially after the tactical awareness he showed for the Sheffield game.Very easy game for WBA so far.

May have been different if we had scored early on but I still think they'd have got two or three.

Shut up shop LJ, play on the break and hope to get one back to salvage a bit of pride.

11 minutes ago, intercity said:

Half time and a serious footballing lesson from West Brom. We have been absolutely punished and West Brom have shown lightning speed on the break as well as solid defending after that initial 10mins of shock we put them in. 

Not a footballing lesson at all. We have played the better football but due to our style they have sat back, parked the bus and have hit us on the counter 3 times.

Archived