IGNORED

WBA v Bristol City Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

Funny how Hunt had played well previously but is now no better than Pisano, and Kelly makes the same mistake yet isn’t vilified presumably because he’s the next Bristolian so we can possibly say anything bad.... 

West Brom just punished our sloppy mistakes and it’s hopefully a lesson learnt. Wasn’t expexting much at start of game!

Also not one of Brownhills best games as I can’t think of many things he done well tonight

Agreed

Funny how Hunt had played well previously but is now no better than Pisano, and Kelly makes the same mistake yet isn’t vilified presumably because he’s the next Bristolian so we can possibly say anything bad.... 

West Brom just punished our sloppy mistakes and it’s hopefully a lesson learnt. Wasn’t expexting much at start of game!

Also not one of Brownhills best games as I can’t think of many things he done well tonight

Tbf Kelly is 20 in his first full season

Hunt is 28 and has buckets of experience at this level 

????

Encouraging that despite being involved in that poor 1st half defensive performance, Kelly didn't go into hiding and stepped up to the plate in the 2nd. He will learn a lot from that game

That’s the rub with players who aren’t the finished article. They learn on the job and now and again it will cost us. But the lad certainly put himself about after the mistake.

Wba forum 

Bristol City are easily the best side we have played in the league so far. They blew us away the first 20 mins and we should have been 2 or 3 goals down. The timing of the penalty and our counter attacks afterwards killed Bristol first half, after the break more of the same all brsitol we let them back into the game then upped a gear and scored again. Then again all Bristol with Albion relying on counter attacks.

Paterson hasn’t showed up for a while. Especially since he signed his new contract

He will be useful again I think. Think we will need him more in those tough games against the bottom sides who defend deep. He is a player that can slip a pass through the eye of a needle or put one in the top corner. He has been anonymous for awhile but looks like he is still in the mix for minutes and as long as he is earning minutes he will help us out. 

That’s the rub with players who aren’t the finished article. They learn on the job and now and again it will cost us. But the lad certainly put himself about after the mistake.

He also seems to learn very quickly, never appearing to make the same mistake.

Give him another 10 games and he'll be as solid as a rock.

Not sure whether to feel positive after that or not? The cynic in me is saying that we had so much of the second half because WBA were happy to sit back with the game already won. It's also telling me that we can't brush under the carpet the atrocious goals that we conceded. Have we really learned anything from the tail end of last season in that respect? Naive from Kelly, utterly shocking from Hunt.

On the bright side, you have to ask ourselves, are there a stronger front three in this division than what we faced today? This is a much fancied team and for most of the match, we looked the better side. At 3-0 down, we didn't hide, we faced up to the challenge and showed bottle. And that counts for a lot.

So can't decide my mood tonight, but what I think tonight probably tells us is that we are a solid but pretty hit and miss team, capable of playing well in patches and with a decent chance of finishing top half. That's probably a realistic goal for now.

Thought it at the time and just seen it on clearer highlights...

For their quick rollout for the second goal, the keeper’s clearly over the line with the ball still in his hands. His foot’s a good yard over and his hands aren’t far behind at the end of the throw. Should have been a free kick there. Stays 1-0 a bit longer, different game.

Definitely. He had a ropey 10-15 minutes after the penalty, along with the rest of them, but recovered well and looked his usual assured self after half time.

He's 20 years old, he'll make mistakes but it's how he reacts and learns from them.

A lot of positives. O'Dowda was outstanding. Diedhiou brilliant too when he came on. Many other good individual performances, Maenpaa made some great saves and Brownhill very good again. 

Negatives. Hunt does look a bit dodgy at times. Paterson really poor and didn't really want him to come on, would have kept Josh in midfield who was playing so well . Another negative was that we were too open, but then if we take even one or two of those many chances at the start, and it could have been a very different game. What a game to watch and feeling positive.

Sorry but brownhill was bang average

I was at the game and, have to say, quite proud of Bristol City tonight for two reasons:

1 - Lesser teams when they went 3-0 down would have either started fouling cynically or just given up entirely. We did neither and I don’t think its that much of a stretch to say we could have got a point there on another day!

2 - I thought it was great from the fans. Sucked our goal in with the noise to make it 3-1 and you could see that it raised City and rattled WBA. So frustrating that we immediately went 4-1 down! How many absolutely silent sets of fans have we seen once they go one or two down? 

Just my two pence. WBA were incisive in attack. They’ll be in the playoffs at least, and don’t think they’ll be that far ahead of us. 

Archived