IGNORED

WBA v Bristol City Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

Was sat with my WBA father in law to the right of our away fans. Kelly looked extremely tired last 20 but kept going as best he could. At that time Phillips was utterly shot and Dawson shakey, possibly Dasilva might have been a better choice than Patto to try and exploit that.

Fully expect Kelly to be rested on Friday.

We were doing well when we were patient and kept the ball. Lost it too early and far too many times. Wouldn’t have minded Walsh coming on instead of Paterson and maybe earlier too. 

Diedhiou and Weimann must be starting on Friday. Taylor is neat and does well when dropping wide/short but doesn’t quite have the cutting edge that Diedhiou has (despite his lack of technique)

Disappointing result obviously with some poor defending but in the main we played some very good football.

Big shout out to our fans who could make it up there. Even though the Sky coverage is pretty quiet you could hear our fans backing the team really well. 

Hopefully now get 3 points away to Wigan on Friday.

It does when both are constantly being caught out in front of the ball, something that has already happened in the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half.

One of them has to sit, it's not rocket science.

I sort of agree, but even if one sts that can still lead to getting outnumbered- I'm suggesting 4-3-3 might have been ideal, combined with a bit more caution- perhaps even a switch to it at some stage?

We'll learn from it, still in credit for the season and I thought the 2nd half display was pretty good!

Some individual mistakes which changed the direction of the game but we’re never gonna win them all, and teams with that sort of quality will punish us. 

Sounds like on another day it could have been a very different result and lots of positives to take from the performance  

4 points off top after 8 games. Perspective. 

Bring on Friday. COYR. 

Watching their second goal again 

Thats shameful

Keeoer Rolls a ball out to Barnes who runs 60-70 yards with Watkins running alongside him but not getting even shoulder to shoulder or making any attempt to stop him and not one City player confronting Barnes as he ran upfield  - a simple ball to Gayle whilst Webster manages to fall on his zzz and the ball is in the back of our net

Awful and weak at any level 

Sides cut through us far too easily on transition ( Including games we’ve won) and this needs to be addressed quickly

Thats shameful

Keeoer Rolls a ball out to Barnes who runs 60-70 yards with Watkins running alongside him but not getting even shoulder to shoulder or making any attempt to stop him and not one City player confronting Barnes as he ran upfield  - a simple ball to Gayle whilst Webster manages to fall on his zzz and the ball is in the back of our net

Sides cut through us far too easily on transition ( Including games we’ve won) and this needs to be addressed quickly

That’s an example of what LJ was alluding to in his post match interview so he’s obviously very aware of it.

Thats shameful

We need a fully fit CDM. Should have been addressed once we knew Smith was out for 6 months.

If Pack and Brownhill don’t get it right or if they’re carrying a knock, there is nobody else to step in. Walsh is League One level at this moment in time.

Only after the penalty and the surrendering of central midfield.

I thought they were a distinctly average team who were gifted 4 piss easy goals.

Wouldn’t call them distinctly average, they have shed loads of quality up front and when you mix that with the mistakes we made at the back there was only one outcome.WBA are very clinical due to that extra bit of quality they have over us and will score bucket loads in this league.

As long as we learn from it and eradicate the mistakes we certainly look to have a team that will cause plenty of sides in this division problems.

Looks like we have something to work with, just gotta be a bit more streetwise against that level of opposition.

We need a fully fit CDM. Should have been addressed once we knew Smith was out for 6 months.

If Pack and Brownhill don’t get it right or if they’re carrying a knock, there is nobody else to step in. Walsh is League One level at this moment in time.

If we are going to play MP and Josh in there , for me Marlon needs to be on a rope , never caught upfield 

Unfort7nately if he’s caught out of position he simply doesn’t have the pace to recover

That restricts his contribution and passing ability around their box but needs must away from home specially, if we aren’t going to get caught on a regular basis

Korey in theory has every asset to be a decent defensive midfielder but even when he plays we get caught through the middle

Appears more of a case of a lack discipline in positioning or Lee isn’t   drumming the-message in clear enough or notwanting to place restrictions on players

by the nature of the way we play - the ‘defensive midfielder ‘ needs to be a good passer of the ball with the ability to pass short or long - as much as I like Korey I’m not sure that’s his strength

A combined Marlon and Korey would be perfect but if I’m being brutal both players are either a complete defensive or attacking midfielder and have mixed attributes 

Marlon has all the tools but lacks pace and thus I come back to the conclusion to resolve the problem we need to restrict Marlon when we go forward - it’s a gain v loss judgement

We shouldn’t really need Pack to be our screener , our quarterback , our play orchestrater and our creator around the box

Josh and the widemen need to step up into that respect ( And I think they can and have - Elliasson already has created how many this season and is a revelation)

Away from home , If I was LJ I’d want to be able to look up and see Marlon sat 15-20 yds in the box front of my Centre Halves At any point in a game

If we are going to play MP and Josh in there , for me Marlon needs to be on a rope , never caught upfield 

Unfort7nately if he’s caught out of position he simply doesn’t have the pace to recover

That restricts his contribution and passing ability around their box but needs must away from home specially, if we aren’t going to get caught on a regular basis

Korey in theory has every asset to be a decent defensive midfielder but even when he plays we get caught through the middle

Appears more of a case of a lack discipline in positioning or Lee isn’t   drumming the-message in clear enough or notwanting to place restrictions on players

by the nature of the way we play - the ‘defensive midfielder ‘ needs to be a good passer of the ball with the ability to pass short or long - as much as I like Korey I’m not sure that’s his strength

A combined Marlon and Korey would be perfect but if I’m being brutal both players are either a complete defensive or attacking midfielder and have mixed attributes 

Marlon has all the tools but lacks pace and thus I come back to the conclusion to resolve the problem we need to restrict Marlon when we go forward - it’s a gain v loss judgement

We shouldn’t really need Pack to be our screener , our quarterback , our play orchestrater and our creator around the box

Josh and the widemen need to step up into that respect ( And I think they can and have - Elliasson already has created how many this season and is a revelation)

Away from home , If I was LJ I’d want to be able to look up and see Marlon sat 15-20 yds in the box front of my Centre Halves At any point in a game

Agree with that but you don’t want to isolate the two CM. If we want Pack to sit then a 442 isn’t feasible imo. Probably play a 4-1-3-2 possibly?

Maenpaa 

Hunt        Kalas      Webster      Kelly

Pack

Eliasson    Brownhill      O’Dowda

Diedhiou    Weimann

There have been occasions where players have run through the middle of us and we constantly back away, giving them the opportunity to shoot. Definitely something to look at.

There have been occasions where players have run through the middle of us and we constantly back away, giving them the opportunity to shoot. Definitely something to look at.

That's been a problem for almost as long as I can remember.

Agree with that but you don’t want to isolate the two CM. If we want Pack to sit then a 442 isn’t feasible imo. Probably play a 4-1-3-2 possibly?

Maenpaa 

Pack

Diedhiou    Weimann

Yep

Lee likes the full backs to push forward  so when we are pushing forward you very roughly almost end up with 

Kalas.    Webster

Pack

Hunt.               Kelly 

COD.    Brownhill.      Elliassson

Weimann  Diedhiou

Maenpaa 

Pack

Diedhiou    Weimann

Wouldn’t be surprised if that teams starts on Friday.  

Thought it at the time and just seen it on clearer highlights...

For their quick rollout for the second goal, the keeper’s clearly over the line with the ball still in his hands. His foot’s a good yard over and his hands aren’t far behind at the end of the throw. Should have been a free kick there. Stays 1-0 a bit longer, different game.

Thought the same whilst watching on the red button but of course you don't get a replay. Looking at the highlights I think he was possibly outside the box when he released the ball. Worse than the one Frankie got called up on a few years back.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I sort of agree, but even if one sts that can still lead to getting outnumbered- I'm suggesting 4-3-3 might have been ideal, combined with a bit more caution- perhaps even a switch to it at some stage?

We'll learn from it, still in credit for the season and I thought the 2nd half display was pretty good!

There has to be a holding midfielder, when one goes forward the other one drops in and that never happened, this has been a problem for more than 2 years, Pack, Smith and Brownhill get it right some of the time but when they don't we concede goals like the first 3 yesterday and it will continue to happen because we lack an organiser.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Wouldn’t call them distinctly average, they have shed loads of quality up front and when you mix that with the mistakes we made at the back there was only one outcome.WBA are very clinical due to that extra bit of quality they have over us and will score bucket loads in this league.

As long as we learn from it and eradicate the mistakes we certainly look to have a team that will cause plenty of sides in this division problems.

Looks like we have something to work with, just gotta be a bit more streetwise against that level of opposition.

How much longer do we wait to have organisation in central midfield?, it's been over 2 years and the same failings exist. Sadly most fans only see the goals conceded and automatically blame the defence, the defence has very little chance if they have absolutely no protection from their centre midfield.

I agree with we will cause a lot of teams problems, especially if we take our chances.

I thought LJ got it right last night and was let down by poor finishing, casual mistakes and a ill disciplined centre midfield.

Don't get me wrong there was one hell of a lot of positives from last night, but I am left feeling that we should have got something from this game and we never and mainly because of the same failings.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thats shameful

Yeah, I feel that was the pivotal mistake/show of poor defending for the evening. Whilst a bit amateur and needless, both the the mistakes from Kelly for the first and Hunt for the fourth are 'in the moment' accidents if you know what I mean?

Whereas with Watkins he should clearly know to take Barnes down and stop the counter. Whilst we all get annoyed when it happens to us its basically standard procedure nowadays in that situation, everyone does it.

I thought we had a got a little better in that department over the past 18 months and I reckon if it had been Pack or smith in that situation we would have taken the cynical approach. Hopefully that will be Marley's one and only lesson. 

Worth adding though that the keeper is definitely handling the ball outside the box by the end of his throw out, should've been a free kick. 

Still quite a lot of positives from the evening though. The main ones for me being the amount of resilience we showed in keeping going and COD, thought he was ******* class!

12 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Pack and Brownhill need to be fitted with electric collars and zapped every time one of them doesn't remain in the holding role when we are attacking.

Paterson is not a player to bring on when we are losing, whoever he is replacing.

A match fit and firing Paterson is always capable of making or scoring a goal .

He was ' off it ' last night perhaps due to lack of game time or trying to hard to impress but if he's not careful he could end up signing for Rangers.

Sadly he seems inconsistent, as was noted by the Forest fans and needs to up his game .

I am surprised that he was given an improved contract just recently because I believe that he is being overtaken by other players in the squad. 

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A match fit and firing Paterson is always capable of making or scoring a goal .

He was ' off it ' last night perhaps due to lack of game time or trying to hard to impress but if he's not careful he could end up signing for Rangers.

Sadly he seems inconsistent, as was noted by the Forest fans and needs to up his game .

I am surprised that he was given an improved contract just recently because I believe that he is being overtaken by other players in the squad. 

Agree with everything you say, his contribution since the start of 2018 has been has been negligible, offered nothing last night and should have scored.

19 hours ago, Flagon said:

Disappointing result obviously with some poor defending but in the main we played some very good football.

Big shout out to our fans who could make it up there. Even though the Sky coverage is pretty quiet you could hear our fans backing the team really well. 

Yep! Ten minutes to go and it was the City, not Albion fans who could be heard.

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Apparently, MA and LJ did try to sign a CDM and had two players as probables, but as happens with our budget,  they didn't come off.  LJ said this on a previous RB interview.

On 18/09/2018 at 20:33, Wanderingred said:

The last two times we visited The Hawthorns for a league game, we got gubbed and the same has happened again!

Yeh but those games were nine years ago and eleven years ago...not really relevant now...I’ve never understood why pundits, media outlets, fans etc etc look at past records between certain teams....it means nothing, eleven different players vs eleven different players with two different managers, most of the time....so how do our last two league games versus the Baggies in 2007 and 2009 mean anything during this season?!

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh but those games were nine years ago and eleven years ago...not really relevant now...I’ve never understood why pundits, media outlets, fans etc etc look at past records between certain teams....it means nothing, eleven different players vs eleven different players with two different managers, most of the time....so how do our last two league games versus the Baggies in 2007 and 2009 mean anything during this season?!

They don't and I never said it did. I just find stats such as records against particular clubs interesting. 

Archived