IGNORED

That really wasn’t altogether that bad.

Fordy62

Nothing frustrates me more than when we turn up and we’re shit. 

Tonight in the first half we got punished by a clinical West Brom side who punished every mistake we made, but, we weren’t shit.

I thought we played pretty reasonably and the team did more than enough to keep us away fans interested and not many teams will take much away from West Brom  

We learnt today that Lloyd Kelly is human. Hunt needs to up his game and Maenpaa looks a good free signing. We need to take our chances when we’re on top, but am I going home feeling like we’ve lost 4-2? No. Definitely not. 

We weren’t shit tonight. We made the best of an awful start and given that we went in 3-0 at the break, I’m pretty proud.

oh and a special shout out for the ref. Allow the the shot at an open goal and then bring it back for the penalty? Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of the rules could advise me if that’s ok or not? It is in rugby. 

Hunt is rather poor defensively and caught out of position for one goal and was just silly on the fourth. Yep Kelly dwindled and got punished.

However, I thought we played some nice stuff and deserved a draw, far to quick for their defence and really should have had a couple more. Pattersons was a shocker of a miss from there and tbh he looked completely devoid of confidence throughout his time on the park.

If we play like that and cut out the errors we will get something from Wigan and wouldn't be surprised if we got all 3 points.

Even in our four wins, we had 30 minute spells were we were quite poor, and had to rely on poor finishing by the other side.

Just pay back today, clinical finishing punishing poor defending. Played some lovely stuff at times as well, and 2 was the least we deserved.

Still work in progress, just a day when clean sheets seemed a long way away. Not to dsheartened.

oh and a special shout out for the ref. Allow the the shot at an open goal and then bring it back for the penalty? Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of the rules could advise me if that’s ok or not? It is in rugby. 

I think he made a perfectly valid call with the pen.  Not sure of the specifics, but isn't it that he should give a few seconds to see if an advantage is gained by playing on, and so as the shot went wide, there wasn't an advantage and so he rightfully pulled it back.  I'm quick to criticise refs, but I think he got that spot on.

Hunt was targeted and was not up to the task against the counter attack. To be fair nor was anyone else either. 

This team will learn from that. 

Must go with a man and be prepared to fall back quickly when we lose possession which is inevitable. 

I’m fed up we lost as I always am, but this was not a bad defeat. 

On the upside if your not going to Wigan wilbo is co commentator on radio Brizz. 

We played well but were just too open as we pushed too much for goals. If one of those chances goes in at 0-0, then I guess we would have been a bit more sensible like Swansea game and defended properly. There were some defensive mistakes but biggest mistake was simply the lack of numbers defending. WBA had more numbers back there to make it harder for us to score. Brilliant game of football to watch.

On their second Kelly and Webster are both statuesque on the far post as it’s tucked away

Nothing to do with numbers 

We played well but were just too open as we pushed too much for goals. If one of those chances goes in at 0-0, then I guess we would have been a bit more sensible like Swansea game and defended properly. There were some defensive mistakes but biggest mistake was simply the lack of numbers defending. WBA had more numbers back there to make it harder for us to score. Brilliant game of football to watch.

Not an exaggeration to say had we scored first, in that period of pressure maybe would have won game- 1-0 and the ability to sit in and break on them would have been totally different dynamics.

That said, had Sheffield United scored in their good spell Saturday, they would have been able to counter on us and beat us.

Still, 4-2 was undoubtedly harsh.

Schoolboy defending, WBA didn't have to work for those goals. Championship teams generally prefer to attack on the break and we got carved open far too easily. When we had chances to break they fouled us, we're a bit naive at times. Good going forward, I hope we'll learn from this one.

Agreed. We should of taken the yellows in the build ups to both the second and third goals. Too niave, but definitely more pluses than minuses tonight.

Tonight in the first half we got punished by a clinical West Brom side who punished every mistake we made, but, we weren’t shit.

I thought we played pretty reasonably and the team did more than enough to keep us away fans interested and not many teams will take much away from West Brom  

We learnt today that Lloyd Kelly is human. Hunt needs to up his game and Maenpaa looks a good free signing. We need to take our chances when we’re on top, but am I going home feeling like we’ve lost 4-2? No. Definitely not. 

We weren’t shit tonight. We made the best of an awful start and given that we went in 3-0 at the break, I’m pretty proud.

You were probably at Wolves away about this time last year as I was and the performance was shocking and papered over the cracks despite the 3-3 draw so encouraged to read this. 

I've only seen one game this season - Saturday v Sheff  - but I think we'll be fine.  

Don't often comment now on game on here but that's worthy of 100% agreement.

Thought we totally outplayed WBA until they scored, continued to look like we were still in it even at 3-0 but especially 2-0 down.

I haven't said this many times before but fair play to Lee Johnson, he and/or his team have assembled a squad which despite the losses of Bryan, Reid and Flint actually looks stronger this season, and play at times some great stuff.

Our vulnerability was exposed tonight and the one thing I know about this team is that we were learn from that. 

All teams that play a similar style to us leave themselves exposed to the counter due to the fact slot of the time you are playing a high defensive line with possibly 10 players in the opposition box all being involved in the build up. 

Tonight was a lesson we needed to learn so I'm not overly disappointed. I certainly don't feel like we have lost because we played some really good stuff and created numerous chances and most importantly the spirit was there all the way til the end and that was encouraging.

Hunt is rather poor defensively and caught out of position for one goal and was just silly on the fourth. Yep Kelly dwindled and got punished.

However, I thought we played some nice stuff and deserved a draw, far to quick for their defence and really should have had a couple more. Pattersons was a shocker of a miss from there and tbh he looked completely devoid of confidence throughout his time on the park.

If we play like that and cut out the errors we will get something from Wigan and wouldn't be surprised if we got all 3 points.

Patterson has lost it and has done since his injury or illness

General consensus among everyone I spoke to after the game tonight, both City and Baggies support, was that we didn’t take our chances early doors and they were clinical on the night. This is backed by the stats where we had 11 shots on target and 2 goals from 23 attempts, and they had 7 shots on target and 4 goals from 11 attempts. 

Aside from Hunt I thought most players did ok tonight. Kelly had a few dodgy moments first half but improved through the game. Generally we looked good going forward and again the subs, particularly Fammi and Niclas, made an impact. A number of WBA supporters commented to me that they were happy they didn’t start. 

All in all, while disappointed with the result, I am not downcast about the performance. I look forward to the trip to Wigan with anticipation rather than trepidation. 

I'm not drastically disappointed but neither am I as pleased about the performance as many appear to be.

Too many made schoolboy errors to make it too easy for WBA to put the game out of our reach before half time. But of more concern are the tactics that are used away from home, ignore the age old adage that you start with a point and don't make it easy for the home team to score. The game plan, allowed a team with a very good attack and a mediocre defence to continually hit us on the break.

A more canny approach would have enticed them to come out more in order for us to have done the cherry picking.

Not a disaster against my favourites to go straight back up again but we must not continue to be so generous on our travels.

I agree with that to a point, it was like watching Bristol at Gloucester on Friday. We played in a manner that suited the opposition and were too easily picked off and countered. Punished for every mistake by experienced sides who possessed the players with the ability to do so. Gung ho with a large degree of risk and paid the price in both games.

Archived