IGNORED

That really wasn’t altogether that bad.

Fordy62

I'm not drastically disappointed but neither am I as pleased about the performance as many appear to be.

Too many made schoolboy errors to make it too easy for WBA to put the game out of our reach before half time. But of more concern are the tactics that are used away from home, ignore the age old adage that you start with a point and don't make it easy for the home team to score. The game plan, allowed a team with a very good attack and a mediocre defence to continually hit us on the break.

A more canny approach would have enticed them to come out more in order for us to have done the cherry picking.

Not a disaster against my favourites to go straight back up again but we must not continue to be so generous on our travels.

I would have gone with the same line up and the same game plan as LJ. , as I said earlier in this thread. 

It is common knowledge how WBA  play and had we been as clinical as them we would have won this match.

We were undone by their extra class in front of goal and a little bit of overconfidence coming from four straight wins on the bounce. 

I can't criticise LJ. or the team for being attack minded and a pleasure to watch. 

We also have guts and continued playing when we could have given up and been hammered.

All credit to the Club and the fantastic Red Army . We will be back .

I think he made a perfectly valid call with the pen.  Not sure of the specifics, but isn't it that he should give a few seconds to see if an advantage is gained by playing on, and so as the shot went wide, there wasn't an advantage and so he rightfully pulled it back.  I'm quick to criticise refs, but I think he got that spot on.

I’m not sure about this.

Surely the advantage was that the player was permitted to carry on and take a shot at goal? If he happened to miss, that’s his fault no?

A bit like if a player is fouled in midfield but manages to retain the ball, if he runs on a bit and then misplaces a pass, he has simply failed to make the most of the advantage.

Bit of a grey area though admittedly.

I watched

I’m not sure about this.

Surely the advantage was that the player was permitted to carry on and take a shot at goal? If he happened to miss, that’s his fault no?

A bit like if a player is fouled in midfield but manages to retain the ball, if he runs on a bit and then misplaces a pass, he has simply failed to make the most of the advantage.

Bit of a grey area though admittedly.

I watched it on the red button but had it synchronised to the Radio Brizz feed on BCTV.

Both Richard Hoskin and Adam Baker thought it was the correct decision. Adam's points were that if the Baggie had been allowed to take his shot, instead of the ref blowing up for a penalty, there was a very good chance he wouldn't have scored due to City players closing down the possible shot angles. Had it been a City attack, LJ would've have been fuming that the ref hadn't given the penalty. The ref applied the rule correctly.

10 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Patterson has lost it and has done since his injury or illness

Oh not this again. 

He was ill in November last year, but was then our best player in December. Scored 3 that month, Boro at home as well as those cracking goals against Sheffield Utd away and Reading home on Boxing Day. He also looked really good away to Man City in early Jan. 

I do however agree that he's completely lost his way since Feb, which is a huge shame.

8 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Oh not this again. 

He was ill in November last year, but was then our best player in December. Scored 3 that month, Boro at home as well as those cracking goals against Sheffield Utd away and Reading home on Boxing Day. He also looked really good away to Man City in early Jan. 

I do however agree that he's completely lost his way since Feb, which is a huge shame.

Well that's what I'm getting at how long do you play a bloke that's out of form and lost the plot and thats why the midfield should have been strentghend

21 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I dont really feel like we lost because we controlled the game and played some good stuff. West Brom just parked the bus and hit us on the counter.

Well they didn't park it very well. We had 23 shots at goal and we could have been 2 up after 5 minutes. Just a poor 10 min spell when we shipped 3 goals.

Difference between the two teams was finishing. If we had Gayle up front in our side then I dare say he would have filled his boots against that WBA defence

Totally agree with OP, lots to be happy with.

However, when we lose, why must there be a single player who takes the brunt / is the scapegoat.

In terms of our performance without the ball, that was what let us down....and that came as a team....yet Hunt is singled out by so many on the forum, not just this topic.

Was he worse than anyone else.  Not really.  I get the Kelly love-in, he’s been great, but last night you could argue he was no better than Hunt...his mistake gave Brom the momentum.  Was Webster any better, his slip (wrong-footed) gifting Gayle the second.  Webster and Kelly ball watching for the third from Barnes Cross.

Was it not Hunt who got the cross in from a forward run in the opening 10 seconds?  Was it not Hunt who played the quick ball to Eliasson for our opener?  It was!  No mention on OTIB, but Kelly often receiving comments of “got forward well”.

We need a bit of consistency in our reviews!!

Dont get me wrong he didn’t have a great game, but I actually don’t think Kelly or Webster we’re any better, unless Kelly’s goal gives him an extra mark.

Moan over ?

On 19/09/2018 at 00:13, Up The City! said:

All teams that play a similar style to us leave themselves exposed to the counter due to the fact slot of the time you are playing a high defensive line with possibly 10 players in the opposition box all being involved in the build up....

Eh?! When have you ever seen 10 City players in the opposition’s 18 yard box during a move’s build up?!

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

However, when we lose, why must there be a single player who takes the brunt / is the scapegoat.

In terms of our performance without the ball, that was what let us down....and that came as a team....yet Hunt is singled out by so many on the forum, not just this topic.

Was he worse than anyone else.  Not really.  I get the Kelly love-in, he’s been great, but last night you could argue he was no better than Hunt...his mistake gave Brom the momentum.  Was Webster any better, his slip (wrong-footed) gifting Gayle the second.  Webster and Kelly ball watching for the third from Barnes Cross.

Was it not Hunt who got the cross in from a forward run in the opening 10 seconds?  Was it not Hunt who played the quick ball to Eliasson for our opener?  It was!  No mention on OTIB, but Kelly often receiving comments of “got forward well”.

Dont get me wrong he didn’t have a great game, but I actually don’t think Kelly or Webster we’re any better, unless Kelly’s goal gives him an extra mark.

Moan over ?

Tend to agree.

Having watched the game back, Kelly had a stinker and was certainly no better than Hunt.

Yes, he's young and he will (hopefully) learn, but that third goal when he was just trotting back after lumping a high ball to no one but their keeper whilst they were piling forward was not good. 

As I say, he will learn but he had a worse game than Hunt imo.

On 19/09/2018 at 21:48, Davefevs said:

Moan over ?

Fair n good post Dave

I was dissapointed in his tracking back and sense of urgency and awareness for the second and third

Quick and athletic enough to have picked up goalscorer 

Lack Of awareness ?

Casual ?

Young and still learning but those recovery’s to bale us out ought to be his forte

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair n good post Dave

I was dissapointed in his tracking back and sense of urgency and awareness for the second and third

Lack Of awareness ?

Casual ?

Young and still learning but those recovery’s to bale us out ought to be his forte

All the things he learnt from Joe ?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair n good post Dave

Lack Of awareness ?

Casual ?

Exactly.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s bloody exciting, and I’ve seen more from him this season than I expected...think some got carried away last season.  However, he’s 19, still learning, and Tuesday was probably as tough a set of opponents that he’ll come across this season as a LB.

When you think about it, he was in direct opposition with Matt Phillips, who at this level is probably as good as you’re gonna face. Couple that with the likes of Gayle and Rodriguez making runs into his space along with Barnes (very impressed with him, not just Tuesday but in other bits and pieces I’ve seen) and you’re gonna be in for a tough night....notwithstanding Ex-England international in their midfield supplying their ammunition!

That game is hopefully one he’ll store away as a poor night at the office, but reflect positively on due to the calibre of opponent...and identify areas to improve.

Then, compare that to Hunt on the other side, facing exactly the issues, except instead of Phillips he had Gibbs.  Brings a bit of balance to the views on their relative performances on Tuesday.  It was a tough night for our defenders, but made more difficult imho by the 6 in front of them not doing the right things....the world class (? argh) basics without the ball according to LJ.

Looking forward to a bounce-back tonight.

Archived