IGNORED

Match Report: Slick City undone by counter attacking spell - and Jack Hunt

Olé

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Had a quick read of their forum just now.

One poster commented that we played them off the park, but were blown away by a 15 minute spell. Another, that had Gayle been playing for us then we'd have won last night.

It sounds like we started really well, but failed to take our chances during that time and almost as sure as night follows day, we were duly punished, and heavily so. 

The game probably emphasis the difference between our good strikers and their premier league strikers. Had we scored the 1 or 2 early on , that our play deserved, then we would almost certainly got something from the game. As it was they only needed that 15 minute spell to wipe us out.

Have a relative who is a Norwich fan. Norwich were a bit of a yoyo team a few years back. I remember him saying when they were struggling in the Prem  that the difference between that League and the Championship is that there were actually not that many true chances created in the Premiership but that the middle to best teams always put them away. Norwich didn't have anybody of the quality to do that. Weinman set O'Dowda up perfectly to score but it didn't happen and then Weinmann himself, who did well to even get to the ball didn't have that extra 5 % of quality to execute the chip on their keeper. As you say we would have been 2 nil up

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

May sound a bit ‘left field’ call (Or should that be right field !)  but Hunt actually looks like a right sided midfielder to me - Possibly a  good one

A defenders first thought should be defending and sniffing / sensing danger - Hunt regularly doesn’t see it - doesn’t think like a defender to me

I was thinking that especially when the other defenders are fit again, he'll probably make way for them

Pretty much as I saw it and similar ratings as I gave in the Ratings thread. Hunt is not a Championship standard defender which is obviously a great pity as his endeavour and ability on the ball are pretty good. Silly mistakes against quality opposition get punished. We also need to look at what we are doing in central positions around the box. Brownhill for all his hard work is not a playmaker.

It’s concerning that we can play well, but still concede 4 goals! 

We have to find a ‘ middle ground’ if we are to continue the decent start we have had. We certainly left ourselves very open at times, against a side that has players that will punish our openness. 

We need to be a little more realistic away from home, because we all would have taken a point before the game, so the most important thing last night should have been not conceding, rather than going for it and leaving ourselves open to the counter attack. 

Yes, we played some really good attacking football which was great to watch, but to be successful in this division we will need to reign in on some of that attacking. I’m not trying to put a downer on attacking football, just being realistic!.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

May sound a bit ‘left field’ call (Or should that be right field !)  but Hunt actually looks like a right sided midfielder to me - Possibly a  good one

A defenders first thought should be defending and sniffing / sensing danger - Hunt regularly doesn’t see it - doesn’t think like a defender to me

A right footed Joe Bryan then, Bob!

Bailey Wright needs to get fit quick. Which doesn't say a lot for Pisano or our recruitment for this position since allowing Luke Ayling to leave. I know Johnson is an idealist and so, in the modern way, wants full backs to play as auxiliary wingers but - for me - I'll go with defensive solidity first and foremost. Plus - playing Wright at full back hardly affected the team's attacking form that much pre-Xmas last season.

I don't know much about him but - simply on the basis WBA wanted to sign him - Tom James at Yeovil is surely worth a look?

8 hours ago, tommy32 said:

I didn’t go and am only going by the highlights and reports. But a positive thing for me is that the errors for the goals are very much fixable - individual errors by Hunt and Kelly and whoever the midfielder was who didn’t just pull the chap down on the breakaway before Gayle’s goal. 

Some naivety from a young team perhaps and when playing a class attack like West Brom’s we’ll be punished for these mistakes. But very impressive that we seemed to create plenty of chances, stuck to the style of football we want to play and showed some character. Would much rather lose a game like this than the limp 1-0 defeat away at Bolton last season for example. 

I agree with this about Kelly - if he's any sort of player then last night will be the kick up the backside he needs. It's all well and good being composed on the ball but you cannot be casual or make poor decisions. The silver lining to his below par performance is that it came in a game we were likely to lose anyway. If it had happened at home and cost us the only goal of the game the repercussions are obviously that much greater. We'll see how the lad responds - this is when you find out what's between a player's ears, it will be interesting to watch.

As for Hunt, I fear he's just a shite defender and we still haven't solved this position.  

7 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

What really pleased me yesterday was how hard Fammy worked for the ball up front, at times finding himself out wide and others working hard just in front of the midfield. I've read a few comments, especially in the last game, suggesting that he can be a bit lazy but there was clearly no evidence of this last night. His goal was sublime but he coupled that with a lot of hard work winning the ball and moving around in the final third. 

Agree - Fammy has tended to be (or look) lazy and not physically strong enough, but last night I thought he upped his game.

Feed the Beast and he will score - hopefully !

Pack and Brownhill getting off quite lightly on this thread. Seems a very high risk policy to expect zero individual errors from defenders, to enable central midfield to position themselves wherever they like - both consistently too far forward and not getting back in when WBA (in particular Johnstone) had the ball. Neither Kelly's nor Hunt's errors (think both deserve criticism btw) were in particularly dangerous positions, with sensible set up/cover. Could argue that it was our very attacking set up that created all the chances - possibly fair, but a) surely we need to ensure we get into better defensive formations with more urgency when they have the ball and b) "you score 7, we'll score 8" seems optimistic with their frontline and likely conversion of chances %? 

5 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Everything I assumed would be true about us at the start of the season seems to have been flipped on its head. I assumed we'd struggle at the front, but we're really struggling at the back.

With that being said, it feels like we're a defensive coach away from being a top-table contender at this point in the season. For all our faults, we did just play a team full of Premier League quality talent, and ultimately I think the only real difference between us as a guaranteed promotion-chaser is those mistakes.

Really struggling at the back? The 4 games previous to this one suggests we aren't? Agree that their attack was ruthless punishing our mistakes though.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

A right footed Joe Bryan then, Bob!

Bailey Wright needs to get fit quick. Which doesn't say a lot for Pisano or our recruitment for this position since allowing Luke Ayling to leave. I know Johnson is an idealist and so, in the modern way, wants full backs to play as auxiliary wingers but - for me - I'll go with defensive solidity first and foremost. Plus - playing Wright at full back hardly affected the team's attacking form that much pre-Xmas last season.

I don't know much about him but - simply on the basis WBA wanted to sign him - Tom James at Yeovil is surely worth a look?

Totally agree 

We turned out our best results last season when we had the four centre backs playing across the back with BW at right back who at best could be described as solid and offered no attacking threat.

We should have enough creative sources elsewhere in side

I've just watched the highlights. Didn't think Kelly's error for their first was as bad as I'd heard. There was time to recover it, but credit to WBA - clinical. 

Hunts for their fourth though, and ultimately the one that killed the game is a bit of a shocker. Not sure what on earth he's thinking there. Put it in row Z! Give your team mates some time to recover and get in position and defend the throw. 

Appreciate LJ has encouraged them to play out from the back, but not when defending! Get it out!

Shame really, but as others have said, just the difference between their premier league strikers being as clinical as they were. I remember Gayle scoring at AG for Newcastle couple of seasons back. Ended 1-0 to them and they created very little. One ball to him and he buried it. Fine margins. 

Our defence has been decent and good to recover some goal difference and pride at the end. Onto Friday - hopefully reality check in place for all

Kelly silly choice to cross for the second. Poor from Taylor not to block the roll out and Watkins should just take a yellow like he did 10 minutes later when given the chance again. 3rd goal poor from Hunt Webster and Kelly.

One of those days where we’re only noticing these mistakes cause they’re punished. 

16 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Pretty much as I saw it and similar ratings as I gave in the Ratings thread. Hunt is not a Championship standard defender which is obviously a great pity as his endeavour and ability on the ball are pretty good. Silly mistakes against quality opposition get punished. We also need to look at what we are doing in central positions around the box. Brownhill for all his hard work is not a playmaker.

But maybe Odowda could be? Good range of passing and picks a good pass and some pace, which Marlon lacks. Maybe one for the future in that position?

23 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Yep, lots of folk defending Hunt, and can see why as he does, as you say, offer endeavour and ability on the ball pushing forward is good. Fact is defensively, aside from Blackburn game, he has lost his man 2 or 3 times in each game he has played - just not been punished with goals conceded until WBA. He needs a solid defensive game against Wigan.

We really do need a defensive midfielder in front of the two centre backs.

We've conceded too many in the last three seasons when opposition just run straight at our unprotected back four. Barnes running fifty/sixty yards with ball is the latest. This goal is due to system we play. Needs to be resolved.

The others all due to individual errors. Work with the individuals to not do it again but something one cannot anticipate.

11 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

But maybe Odowda could be? Good range of passing and picks a good pass and some pace, which Marlon lacks. Maybe one for the future in that position?

I thought he struggled to influence the game anywhere near as much as he was doing when out wide. Still had a really good game as a whole.

Archived