IGNORED

Team for Wigan

ExiledAjax

We should expect changes from last night, but probably not too many.

Suspect LJ will show faith in the back 5, despite the mistakes made last night.

Maenpaa

Hunt        Kalas          Webster        Kelly

In midfield I expect and hope that O'Dowda did enough last night to hold down his starting spot.  He showed some fantastic feet and demonstrated that direct running style of play that makes him so dangerous.  Eliasson should start ahead of Watkins.  The little Swedish magician has a wand of a left foot, as shown by the wicked delivery for Kelly's goal.  He's fast, direct, and really gave WBA's LB a problem that Watkins just didn't.  Suspect it matters little whether you write them down on the left or right as they were fluid last night and seem to have some licence to roam so long as they don't both huddle on one side.  Pack and Brownhill to continue in the middle.

O'Dowda        Brownhill         Pack       Eliasson

Then two up top.  Weimann to continue as his workrate and threat are just fantastic.  Diedhiou over Taylor. Taylor is a more than able deputy but Fam scares defenders.  He's bigger and stronger than Taylor and presents a more rounded and varied threat.

Weimann      Diedhiou

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think it will be the side you put. But don't be surprised to see the shape change to what we saw for a spell in the second half. 

Maenpaa

Hunt. Kalas Webster. Kelly

Pack

Brownhill. O'Dowda

Eliasson.                    Diedhiou

Weimann

Yeh, just saw the post you wrote on the Diedhiou thread.  Think you suggested the 433 as you set out.  It's not a bad idea, and certainly you could see us setting up with the same players but allowing the front 5 or 6 to be flexible.  However, as a few others have noted (including yourself) this does require one of the midfield two - Pack - to sit back.  this didn't happen last night and we promptly got sucker-punched.

Nice team.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Agree, Hunt has looked dodgy defensively all along, last night those frailties were exposed - and that will not have gone unnoticed by Wigan scouts...

Hopefully they wouldn’t have watched us much last season (different division) and what realise how poor Pisano is, and target him.

I’d far rather Hunt than Pisano, although he wasn’t very good last night, granted. Although he was blatantly fouls for their 4th goal. 

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You're not wrong. But cutting back on attacking options on the right could take effects on whoever's on the right wing 

I think it depends on the opposition, certainly a top team away from home you would want a more solid RB.

Personally, i don't want Hunt (or for that matter Kelly) dropped / rested.. I just don't want them doing those things again.

Those errors weren't made because you are a bad defender, they were made by making WRONG decisions.

Put right your wrongs boys

COYR!  I think Wigan are going to pay for last night.

I’ve said before - the back four pick themselves as do Pack and Brownhill. The fact that both full backs made errors at the Baggies that led to goals is no reason to drop either of them imv. Up to last night they’ve been very solid.

Not sure both Eliasson and CoD will start tho. That would leave the midfield too exposed. Maybe Pato will make an appearance?

As for up top - any two from three.......I expect it’ll be Famara and Weimann.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’ve said before - the back four pick themselves as do Pack and Brownhill. The fact that both full backs made errors at the Baggies that led to goals is no reason to drop either of them imv. Up to last night they’ve been very solid.

Not sure both Eliasson and CoD will start tho. That would leave the midfield too exposed. Maybe Pato will make an appearance?

As for up top - any two from three.......I expect it’ll be Famara and Weimann.

Based on how he has played since Jan, I really hope not, but he is an LJ favourite so you could be right. Personally much rather have Eliasson keeping Wigan occupied and the high energy of COD. Leave Pato and Watkins on the bench. 

2 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Maenpaa

Pisano     Kalas     Baker     DaSilva

Brownhill     Pack     Walsh

ODowda      Weimann     Diedhiou

Kalas and Baker against Wigan?

Whats the logic behind that call?

2 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Maenpaa

Pisano     Kalas     Baker     DaSilva

Brownhill     Pack     Walsh

ODowda      Weimann     Diedhiou

Why change three out of four of the back line? 

Up until the Baggies game the back four had conceded once and that was a fluke. 

Unless the are injuries that we don’t know about I’d expect to see the same back four.

Hunt,Webster,Kalas,Kelly

Archived