IGNORED

Team for Wigan

ExiledAjax

From social media I noticed a few of the players were at the Man City game last night, so I guess they stayed up north after the West Brom game. I expect Man City fans were more shocked at the result than any of us were on a Tuesday. Hopefully the players can put it behind them and move on to the next game, stranger things happen in football. 

I don’t think there will be too many changes. LJ will want to prove that his team he picked Tuesday was right and will probably stick with that. I personally don’t see that Pato is adding at the moment, indeed for a while. Also Weimann seems to work better with Taylor and have formed a decent understanding,  not so much yet with Diedhiou.

I would not make changes based on mistakes from Tuesday but I would rotate a bit. Fam, Eliasson and DaSilva to start perhaps. DaSilva needs matches too and I wouldn’t overwork Kelly if possible. 

Maenpaa

Hunt Kalas Webster DaSilva

COD Pack JB Eliasson

Weimann Fam

You could also make a case of playing Taylor with Diedhiou. They have history of playing well together(think back to Stoke last season). Though I’d be wary of making too many changes though all those are part of the main rotation so may not be a huge deal. 

I do wonder where Baker will play this season. He does not get in over Kalas and Webster even when poor has been better than any NB I have seen since January. Wright I think can be an easy addition in games like WBA, Derby, Stoke away when we want to be solid and hit them on the counter. 

Joe - we are on a similar wavelength here. 

imho you don’t drop based on one bad performance or one mistake...plus you can bet certain players never get dropped and therefore you create ill feeling over favouritism.

However, the squad knows it will be rotated to keep fresh.  Certain players must know they are more likely to be rotated than others, due to both options in their position, importance of their position, work rate of their position, their individual importance to the team/style etc. 

We will see some changes tonight, but this season I’m seeing logic / common sense from LJ rather than over-thinking / complicating. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Joe - we are on a similar wavelength here. 

imho you don’t drop based on one bad performance or one mistake...plus you can bet certain players never get dropped and therefore you create ill feeling over favouritism.

However, the squad knows it will be rotated to keep fresh.  Certain players must know they are more likely to be rotated than others, due to both options in their position, importance of their position, work rate of their position, their individual importance to the team/style etc. 

We will see some changes tonight, but this season I’m seeing logic / common sense from LJ rather than over-thinking / complicating. 

Plus you have to take in to account the impact of high pressure of this kind on players with questionable mentalities. Obviously we can't know the inner details of Bristol City players' minds because we don't work with them daily, but if NB, as many players do at this level and below, struggles with the psychological impact of the game, then dropping him based on one mistake will only lead to nervy and disjointed performances, with him focused more on not making errors (to preserve his place in the team) than being an effective/creative force. There is no precedent set for players to do this if they're constantly removed from the team each time they attempt something backfires.

You have to reach a point where you make changes based on only either extended poor form, fitness, or other players requiring game time to stay fresh. Needlessly chopping and changing every time a player makes an error will only create fractures in dressing room social groups, lower morale, and lead to worse and more nervous performances in the long run.

Imo ?

Mäenpää 

Kalas  Webster  Baker  Kelly

Ellison  Pack  Brownhill CoD

Wiemann  Fam

O’leary, Pisano,  DaSilva, Walsh, Patterson, Watkins, Taylor 

Give Hunt a rest I was at the hawthorns on Tuesday did have a great game and he looked knackered which is probably why  Pisano on the bench covers two positions. 

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’ve said before - the back four pick themselves as do Pack and Brownhill. The fact that both full backs made errors at the Baggies that led to goals is no reason to drop either of them imv. Up to last night they’ve been very solid.

Not sure both Eliasson and CoD will start tho. That would leave the midfield too exposed. Maybe Pato will make an appearance?

As for up top - any two from three.......I expect it’ll be Famara and Weimann.

So the midfield would be exposed with Eliasson playing but not with Pato?  I quite like Pato on the ball but defensively he's terrible.

When Fam came on running the left channel, he certainly looked interesting. That might give Lee some food for thought.

Kelly does look a bit tired, so DaSilva could replace him.  However dropping him could affect his confidence, so LJ will need to make a judgement on this too.

I don't have much info on how Wigan play or what their strengths and weaknesses are, but of course the manager will have done his homework.

All in all, the team against Wigan will be a mystery until an hour before KO.

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

When Fam came on running the left channel, he certainly looked interesting. That might give Lee some food for thought.

Kelly does look a bit tired, so DaSilva could replace him.  However dropping him could affect his confidence, so LJ will need to make a judgement on this too.

I don't have much info on how Wigan play or what their strengths and weaknesses are, but of course the manager will have done his homework.

All in all, the team against Wigan will be a mystery until an hour before KO.

I don't think its a case of dropping Kelly.

Its a case of rotation to ensure he stays fit and fresh.

I'd expect to see Dasilva at left back tomorrow with Kelly back for the Villa game.

On 19/09/2018 at 14:13, Super said:

When is Bailey back? Best RB at the club.

While I don't agree he's best RB OUTRIGHT, in  a specific system while not the best individual, he may be the best suited as an RB- so there could be something in it.

By which I mean our 4-4-1-1 last year with him and Magnússon as full backs. Best individuals? Certainly not.

However their versatility meant we could shape shift frequently depending on our needs, or even have them come inside more frequently to pack the centre defensively and make us narrower, more compact when approximate.

Archived