IGNORED

How to get stuffed 4-2 and still feel chuffed

where's the joy

What a bizarre game that was at WBA.

Going forward we played really well, looked lively and inventive (till Patterson came on.....please send him off on loan to Torquay to get his mojo back)

How we missed Korey protecting the back though. All of our defenders looked poor going backwards and off the pace and we looked so stretched at vital times.

To be 3-0 down so soon having played with such brio, until the third went in and killed off the first half, and the game, was scant reward for a really pugnacious opening 20 minutes.

So same again and hope lesser teams will fold; or play it one game at a time, grinding out the results?

SL isn't getting any younger and the 100M investment into the sporting quarter is not going to work without premiership football.

The gulf in finishing class will tell on LJ unless he can inject some premiership talent into this squad.

So until we have added a couple of top level players for all our sakes please set the team up to make us tough to beat and avoid any major losing runs 

I may be wrong but I think we approached last night as a “free hit”. Had we sat back they probably had enough quality to beat us 1-0 or 2-0 anyway so we just had a go at them but we’re a little bit too gung ho maybe and made individual errors to make it worse.

Think we will be slightly less that way and a bit more solid at Wigan where I think we will be expecting to come back with something.

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I may be wrong but I think we approached last night as a “free hit”. Had we sat back they probably had enough quality to beat us 1-0 or 2-0 anyway so we just had a go at them but we’re a little bit too gung ho maybe and made individual errors to make it worse.

Think we will be slightly less that way and a bit more solid at Wigan where I think we will be expecting to come back with something.

I agree, we didnt try to match them like we did with Sheffield, although I think it was just the quality in the forward 4 positions that shone through in the end. (Both defences looked shaky) 

Barnes, what a player hes going to be though.

A game of contrasts.

After just two minutes, I thought it was just a question of time and we'd pull off a useful win.

At half time, I dreaded what would occur in the second half.

Full time, as your title states, feeling chuffed after a 4-2 defeat.

12 hours ago, Ian Crabbe said:

All I know is on our 3 mile walk back to the car we had conversations ( NOT punch ups) with home fans who all said we were a good side and definitely deserved at least a draw,that was praise indeed as far as I was concerned.

What a load of shit that route was that they make you take out of the ground. 

13 hours ago, Ian Crabbe said:

All I know is on our 3 mile walk back to the car we had conversations ( NOT punch ups) with home fans who all said we were a good side and definitely deserved at least a draw,that was praise indeed as far as I was concerned.

Good fans WBA. Always got a friendly welcome whenever I go there.

Did we “defend badly” or did defenders make too many costly errors..? 

If we play to our game plan but someone drops a clanger, then I don’t see that LJ or other players can do much about it. 

It was a bizarre game. We played very well, but obviously can’t go conceding the goals like we did. 

Cut out the individual errors and we could have won that game. 

Learn, improve and on to the next one. 

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

I slaughtered the team for the performance despite the win at QPR, feel completely the opposite. so much to be positive about that performance. Big learning curve for Burns and Kelly and LJ about being open. Really feel positive about the way we didnt fold and came back at them.

Who is Burns???

:dunno:

WBA attacking force is too good for our defence and vice-versa. Attacking them from the opening whistle and attempting to get our noses in front was very cavalier but the right tactic IMHO. However WBA counter-attacking was devastating and we simply couldn’t get back and cover fast enough. 

There’s no shame in losing 4.2. My fear at halftime was it could end up being a cricket score. We did well.

I’ve always doubted LJ ability to have a plan B or plan C. It’s been his primary weakness and I’ve been critical of him but this season there is evidence appearing that LJ is becoming able to make changes that actually affect the game. 

Having got round to watching the highlights, though at the match it was not quite as apparent.  I thought that Watkins attempt to stay with Barnes on his almost “box to box”  run was embarrassing,  having failed to keep up with him, or have taken a yellow for the team...........he then just gives up. Lame?  I can forgive Kelly for the 1st, as after his mistake, it's still redeemable?  The 3rd is just all round static, ball watching drivel......................and talking of drivel?  Hunt looked as if he had dropped his bi-focals and was looking down at the turf near his feet trying to retrieve them? Downs League pot bellied 45 year old full backs would be uniikely to reach that state of bewilderment. It was just one match against an average championship side...........but Leicester City's 20 year old midfielder Barnes is thankfully English, and looks an exceptional talent [possibly?]

19 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Yep. Plus I think it is a valid approach to go out all guns blazing against a recently relegated side. West Brom seem to have adapted to the Championship reasonably well but there is always a chance that they will be unfamiliar with a side like City and will underestimate them.

Had we taken one or more of the early chances then I think the approach would have worked.

On the other hand, if that game takes place in March between two top 6 sides then I think it would be harder to defend that sort of approach. Maybe we were guilty of expecting the opposition to underestimate us.

Considering the number of personnel changes, City looked a side that are very comfortable in their own skin.

Despite conceding 3 first half goals, the team continued to play positive, attacking football that was a joy to watch. We just need to strike the ball with greater conviction when well placed and protect our defence better when out of possession with tighter lines.

If Tuesday is a lesson learned we could be in for a very good season.

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Did we “defend badly” or did defenders make too many costly errors..? 

If we play to our game plan but someone drops a clanger, then I don’t see that LJ or other players can do much about it. 

It was a bizarre game. We played very well, but obviously can’t go conceding the goals like we did. 

Cut out the individual errors and we could have won that game. 

Learn, improve and on to the next one. 

A bit of both I'd say.

For the first obviously Lloyd makes a bad decision but look at the positioning of our players when the ball gets pinched. 

Its 4 against 3 at the back with no midfield protection whatsoever. 

Players are going to make mistakes which you can't account for, but away to a team with such a lethal attacking line up as WBA we probably could have been a little more disciplined in protecting the back four. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 13.34.21.png

8 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Yep. Plus I think it is a valid approach to go out all guns blazing against a recently relegated side. West Brom seem to have adapted to the Championship reasonably well but there is always a chance that they will be unfamiliar with a side like City and will underestimate them.

Had we taken one or more of the early chances then I think the approach would have worked.

On the other hand, if that game takes place in March between two top 6 sides then I think it would be harder to defend that sort of approach. Maybe we were guilty of expecting the opposition to underestimate us.

We overestimated their likely underestimation of us?

Archived