IGNORED

Wigan Athletic - Friday (Away) - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

...a lot more research than normal.  Less well-known players, a season away from the Champ, so not seen much of them, so some big gaps in my review.  The days of looking at relative new boys Wigan in my Rothmans and Football League books have gone, and the names of Jewell, Newell (not Kewell) and Lowe up front was a pretty lethal frontline back then.  Now it’s all about Will Grigg!

How do they set up?

I’ve added two teams here as there’s been a few changes, but they play a Standard 4231.

Versus Brentford away:

7B665AAA-3980-40C5-A16C-4AC3986D05DD.jpeg.87e6f041ef322cb7ce75615605520b1c.jpeg

Versus Hull City home:

25EF6204-8BFD-4224-B1D1-10E9CD88966A.jpeg.058185722a79f8ccafa5f3192b824725.jpeg

GK: Christian Walton - any relation to ex-Crewe keeper David (son?).  On loan from BHA for his second spell, having been part of last season’s promo squad.

RB: Reece James - on loan from Chelsea in his first season of senior football.  Played every league game so far.  Nathan Byrne - ex-Swindon man who I thought wasn’t as detestable as the other players.  Thought he might’ve been a good signing for us a year or so back when not in the Wolves team.

LB: Antonee (yes Antonee) Robinson - on loan from Everton.  At Bolton last season, giving an energetic performance at their place in our 0-1 defeat.

CB: Cedric Kipre - French player who started at Leicester, but signed from the “Mothers’ in the summer.  Not seen him play.  Chey Dunkley - signed from Oxford last summer and played a big role in their promo last season.  Capable at set pieces.  Alex Bruce hasn’t made it onto the pitch yet this season.  Dan Burn - ex-Fulham Man compared to Flint in his build and been a mainstay of their defence....however on his way back from injury.  Maybe a week too soon for him.

DM: Sam Morsy - Egypt international who played in the WC.  On our radar previously when at Chesterfield.  Tenacious midfielder, who got red-carded, albeit rescinded versus Brentford, so not banned.  Decent enough ball-player too.  Lee Evans - former Wolves man from Newport.  Callum Connolly - Everton loanee who spent last season at Ipswich.

AM: Nick Powell - dangerman - one of the best no10’s according to LJ.  Ex-Man Utd man who certainly has bags of talent, and able to turn it on in the free role he is afforded at Wigan.  Josh Windass - there’s just something about that name isn’t there?  Son of Dean, signed from Rangers, previously at Accrington.  Got goals in him from the forward positions and will need to be watched. Michael Jacobs - wideman and another from Wolves.  Been around a bit yet only 26, suggested typical inconsistent winger.  Darron Gibson - How the mighty (ok, maybe not mighty) fall.  Troubles off the pitch, and possibly last chance to save his career.

CF: Will Grigg - good finisher, who probably hasn’t quite done enough at this level, prolific in league below.  Still need to be on our guard as linked very well with Powell.  James Vaughan - experienced at this level with Huddersfield and Sunderland having rekindled his injury hit career at Bury.  Joe Garner - not the CEO of Nationwide Building Society, but the flinging elbow striker from most Northern clubs, and a thorn in our side over the years.

How do we beat them?

If I’m being perfectly honest, I don’t know, other than win our battles.  I really haven’t seen the way they play, but from the small amount I do know of their front 4, they are all technically able.  I do think that playing one up top (Grigg) with Powell in behind will work in our favour, as one of Webster and Kalas will be able to drop off (unlike versus Gayle and Rodriguez with Barnes off of them).  Our 4 across the midfield should be able to maintain a decent level of possession to allow the whole team to get up the pitch and apply pressure.

Certainly don’t see this being an easy game, Wigan have started very well with a young squad, and have used momentum well.

Want to see us solid again, and if so, we can return south with 6pts from 3 games in a busy week.

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Thanks Dave, an interesting summary on Wigan.  Would be great if you could do that before every game.  I guess LJ will be very well aware of this though.

He has been doing it before every game. Very interesting so far. Good job! 

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Thanks Dave, an interesting summary on Wigan.  Would be great if you could do that before every game.  I guess LJ will be very well aware of this though.

Yeah, done it for most games so far (since I came back from hols).

I’m not sure LJ reads OTIB though ?

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

Sharp intake of breath from me when you see Joe Garner in a team. Not sure how tough our defenders are yet, he will be a test for sure.

Thanks @Davefevsfor these, I really enjoy reading them. They have become my standard go to now, @Davefevs pre match and @Olépost match. 

Rob certainly writes a great post-match review, almost poetic at times.

36 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Anything less than 3 points is poor.

Why?  They've beaten Stoke away, only lost to Villa after a 94th minute winner, drew with Forest.  All teams I expect to be in top six by end of season.

They are currently 1 point behind us.  Why do you think anything less than 3 points is poor?

Great analysis. 

As an aside noticed on skybet Wigan are shorter odds for promotion (and longer for relegation) than us or Swansea, they are longer odds for relegation than Forest (they are 28/1 foreat 25/1)

I don’t think they will go down but those odds seem crazy. 

Back on topic I think the DP above has it about right, a win would be a fantastic result, with a draw being a decent one. 

If they line up in that 4 2 3 1 then I'd expect we will see Eliasson start.  I would play a tactic of using Brownhill or Webster to begin attacks through the middle before shifting the ball out to the flank (to Eliasson) in order to bypass the two screening midfielders Morsy and Evans.

Eliasson then whips in the cross and you have Weimann ghosting at the back post for a tap in or Diedhiou trying to get a head on it or otherwise bundle it in.

Watkins and Taylor therefore miss out.  Although we might see a repeat of the tactics against QPR where we were spraying diagonal balls out to those guys on the wings.  Although it led to the first goal it was frustrating to watch as such passes have a naturally low success rate at this level.  I think LJ has probably realised by now that actually we are more effective with the ball on the floor.

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If they line up in that 4 2 3 1 then I'd expect we will see Eliasson start.  I would play a tactic of using Brownhill or Webster to begin attacks through the middle before shifting the ball out to the flank (to Eliasson) in order to bypass the two screening midfielders Morsy and Evans.

Eliasson then whips in the cross and you have Weimann ghosting at the back post for a tap in or Diedhiou trying to get a head on it or otherwise bundle it in.

Watkins and Taylor therefore miss out.  Although we might see a repeat of the tactics against QPR where we were spraying diagonal balls out to those guys on the wings.  Although it led to the first goal it was frustrating to watch as such passes have a naturally low success rate at this level.  I think LJ has probably realised by now that actually we are more effective with the ball on the floor.

Think Eliasson did enough on Tuesday to get the nod.  I suspect he was rested ready for this one.

Interesting that we haven’t lost a game Eliasson has started!  That includes the cup game too.  Lucky talisman?

02E94882-32BE-4E7B-BF2E-9B624F58A82B.jpeg

1 minute ago, Norn Iron said:

Never mind the line-up! 

As Wigan wear a similar strip to WBA, will Scotty have washed the Purple n Lime kit in time for K.O. or will he have packed the home kit prior to the trip up North?

He was on Snapchat in the launderette yesterday and today...

Have to watch Antonee Robinson. English born but a USA international and part of that young group the are grooming over there. Would have been my first choice LB on loan for the season. More of an attacking fullback from what I have seen and got some good pace. Be tough for the winger on the right. 

Good write up Dave. Enjoy reading these

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Have to watch Antonee Robinson. English born but a USA international and part of that young group the are grooming over there. Would have been my first choice LB on loan for the season. More of an attacking fullback from what I have seen and got some good pace. Be tough for the winger on the right. 

Good write up Dave. Enjoy reading these

Yep, impressed me for Bolton last season.  Naively pre that game thought he might be a player we could get at....no such luck.

Good work Dave. 

A couple of players whom I know a lot about having previously scouted and recommended them. 

Dunkley - first saw him in 2012 playing for Kidderminster at FGR. Looked a good ball-winning CB, a bit ungainly at times, but good strength and presence. Got a move to Oxford and then on to Wigan where he’s beginning to show good promise. 

Morsy - you mention Chesterfield but I first saw him when at Port Vale. Was previously at Wolves as a youngster. Red card has been rescinded but he’s a player who’s had more than his fair share of disciplinary problems. Tough tackling midfield battler but also with decent technique. 

Evans - I’ve always been a big fan of Evans. First watched him in his Newport days before Wolves took the chance on him. Was a mainstay in Wolves L1 promotion a few years ago and regular in their 1st season in the Champ, but then fell out of favour. Had a few L1 loan spells before finally cementing a place at Sheff Utd last season and did well. A good signing for Wigan this lad. Complements Morsy well with more style and guile. 

This Wigan team are a far cry from the awful Wigan team that went down 2 years ago. They’ve bounced back up and really improved the team from their previous Champ stint. Tough team, will be a tough match. Powell, if he fancies it, can be one of the top 10 players in this league. A definite dangerman. 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good work Dave. 

A couple of players whom I know a lot about having previously scouted and recommended them. 

Dunkley - first saw him in 2012 playing for Kidderminster at FGR. Looked a good ball-winning CB, a bit ungainly at times, but good strength and presence. Got a move to Oxford and then on to Wigan where he’s beginning to show good promise. 

Morsy - you mention Chesterfield but I first saw him when at Port Vale. Was previously at Wolves as a youngster. Red card has been rescinded but he’s a player who’s had more than his fair share of disciplinary problems. Tough tackling midfield battler but also with decent technique. 

Evans - I’ve always been a big fan of Evans. First watched him in his Newport days before Wolves took the chance on him. Was a mainstay in Wolves L1 promotion a few years ago and regular in their 1st season in the Champ, but then fell out of favour. Had a few L1 loan spells before finally cementing a place at Sheff Utd last season and did well. A good signing for Wigan this lad. Complements Morsy well with more style and guile. 

This Wigan team are a far cry from the awful Wigan team that went down 2 years ago. They’ve bounced back up and really improved the team from their previous Champ stint. Tough team, will be a tough match. Powell, if he fancies it, can be one of the top 10 players in this league. A definite dangerman. 

Funnily enough just been discussing the above with our mutual friend via email (he wanted some Bears tickets)!!!

Don’t think either line-up changes my limited evaluation too much.  Will play a bit longer to Garner and I will be interested to see Webster deal with his flying elbows....has he got the attributes to take a black eye or bloody nose.  Same for Kalas.  Warrior comments made already, we’ll see tonight.

Archived