IGNORED

Idiotic fans and assault at West Brom

JackiDziekanowski

Looking at it from a different angle, would it really be that difficult to allow fans to choose a specific seat in the expectation that if it’s towards the front or on the edge for example they’d be able to seat or if it’s at the back like i was at West Brom you’re likely to stand 

There was a £1 booking fee don’t forget and we don’t get anything for it 

3 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Maybe @JulieH could expand further, but I’m pretty sure the police have no interest/want/need to go in and take people out for standing if they refuse stewards requests.

It would be like a cinema saying no food allowed as part of the sale of a ticket, then calling the police if people are doing it.

unless someone is being abusive or violent towards the stewards the police wouldn’t get involved. 

Thanks for the clarity, but I'm sure I've read of it happening at some club before.

Maybe if was as you say, only if individual (s) being violent or abusive towards the stewards.

3 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Looking at it from a different angle, would it really be that difficult to allow fans to choose a specific seat in the expectation that if it’s towards the front or on the edge for example they’d be able to seat or if it’s at the back like i was at West Brom you’re likely to stand 

There was a £1 booking fee don’t forget and we don’t get anything for it 

Yeah that's true- higher you are, more likely to stand? Something like?

That said, I remember at Millwall away in April- was 3-4 rows from the top of stand and yet people sat behind me so I had to sit. Bit disappointing but ah well- wouldn't have cared if I'd watched the game doing handstands if we'd won!

25 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Maybe @JulieH could expand further, but I’m pretty sure the police have no interest/want/need to go in and take people out for standing if they refuse stewards requests.

It would be like a cinema saying no food allowed as part of the sale of a ticket, then calling the police if people are doing it.

unless someone is being abusive or violent towards the stewards the police wouldn’t get involved. 

Yes that is correct 

1 bristolcity: Well it is football, and there is nothing new about such incidents at a football match, why would you worry about your 9 year old son witnessing that? Not that I condone any sort of violence, kids are able to cope with more than you might think, consider some atrocities in parts of the World that really are too horrific to witness, and compare with that.

On reading about a personal assault of the kind described by the O.P. and then reading your ridiculously flippant response, especially the words that I've highlighted above, I can only re-iterate that you are indeed a knob of the highest order!

1 bristolcity: Anyone who takes a child to a football match must be aware of the chance of witnessing something he or she might not see in a normal day. I used to make my lads and their mates, they were exposed to some cringe worthy human nature, but they still came back for more. The content of the OP's post was more about what if he had his son with him, he did not. You might want to think that the 'yob' was in fact the one that was right in sitting.... but of course any act of violence is just not warranted. So before you all reach for your moral high ground buttons just take time out to think. 

Good advice in highlights. Suggest you take it up yourself......  

39 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Yes that is correct 

That's quite interesting.

I have a scenario around that and am wondering.

Example: Fans are persistently standing up the top of the stand. Stewards frequently warn them or request them to be seated but no joy is had.

Eventually, after a number of games, either the club or stewards have had enough and choose to eject them for persistently standing.

Fans are neither abusive nor threatening/violent, but at the same time refuse to budge- not violently, simply stubbornly- bear in mind quite a few standing so if all stick together it's rather hard.

Wouldn't police then intervene to assist with ejection? Not for a criminal case I hasten to add, merely to help enforce the ground regulations.

• SC&T Board Members
27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Example: Fans are persistently standing up the top of the stand. Stewards frequently warn them or request them to be seated but no joy is had.

Eventually, after a number of games, either the club or stewards have had enough and choose to eject them for persistently standing.

Fans are neither abusive nor threatening/violent, but at the same time refuse to budge- not violently, simply stubbornly- bear in mind quite a few standing so if all stick together it's rather hard.

Wouldn't police then intervene to assist with ejection? Not for a criminal case I hasten to add, merely to help enforce the ground regulations.

Your last line answers your question for you. It is not the role of the police to enforce ground regulations. Their role is to enforce the law. Until any law is broken, e.g. a fan assaults a steward, they will rightly not get involved.  Correct @JulieH?

14 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Your last line answers your question for you. It is not the role of the police to enforce ground regulations. Their role is to enforce the law. Until any law is broken, e.g. a fan assaults a steward, they will rightly not get involved.  Correct @JulieH?

Think they’d be there get involved ‘to prevent a breach of the peace’

In Mr Ps scenario or even an individual who wasn’t complying with stewards who wished to eject him - do we really think the Police wouldn’t get involved 

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1 hour ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

1 bristolcity: Well it is football, and there is nothing new about such incidents at a football match, why would you worry about your 9 year old son witnessing that? Not that I condone any sort of violence, kids are able to cope with more than you might think, consider some atrocities in parts of the World that really are too horrific to witness, and compare with that.

On reading about a personal assault of the kind described by the O.P. and then reading your ridiculously flippant response, especially the words that I've highlighted above, I can only re-iterate that you are indeed a knob of the highest order!

1 bristolcity: Anyone who takes a child to a football match must be aware of the chance of witnessing something he or she might not see in a normal day. I used to make my lads and their mates, they were exposed to some cringe worthy human nature, but they still came back for more. The content of the OP's post was more about what if he had his son with him, he did not. You might want to think that the 'yob' was in fact the one that was right in sitting.... but of course any act of violence is just not warranted. So before you all reach for your moral high ground buttons just take time out to think. 

Good advice in highlights. Suggest you take it up yourself......  

You seem to be obsessed with male parts, however I will reply that perhaps a football match, especially away to a West Midlands Team might not be the best place to avoid your precious kids viewing anything unsavoury, however there wasn't any kid's involved, well none of the OP's it was merely added as an extra scenario that we could all feel horrified about, as if the assault wasn't enough. As a father of three boys I think I can say with some authority they would have not had been scarred for life in witnessing such a thing. 

If you feel so strongly about the potential to offend a 9yr old boy perhaps you could start a crowd funding page, just in case .

Now that's flippant (you really are a bit of a dweeb.you know..):yes:

The semi official line from the Prem anyway is to turn a blind eye to some incidents of standing, certainly when any intervention might result in some disorder. However Football Stewards are employed a Safety Stewards, and perhaps more could be done in briefing these people to adapt a policy that from the off any standing will result in intervention. Seating was brought in for Safety reasons, any club that as a result of standing has a problem with injuries  sustained to fan(s) might be subject to a law suite As far as this incident is concerned the chap assaulted might well have a case  to bring against W.B.A in that they failed to ensure there was safe standing.

2 hours ago, walnutroof said:

Looking at it from a different angle, would it really be that difficult to allow fans to choose a specific seat in the expectation that if it’s towards the front or on the edge for example they’d be able to seat or if it’s at the back like i was at West Brom you’re likely to stan

With you on that one provided quid pro quo I can choose to sit with like-minded fans who wish to watch the game whilst displaying their vocal support and exclude myself from the F'wits for whom football these days appears to be about getting off their face, hyperbole about the size of their imaginary sheds and the frankly racist and bigoted insults (banter it is not) they spit with vective at the opposition. You know, the ones who come in sh*t-faced 10 mins after kick off because they couldn't be bothered to leave the pub in time and thence decide to stand in front of you focussed wholly on their mobiles for the next two hours.

1 hour ago, Blagdon red said:

Our role is not to enforce ground regulations but to assist if requested by the safety team when needed.

this is normally iif a fan is being agressive violent or non compliant, and can range from officers standing there visibly supporting the stewards to physically removing them.

doesnt happen very often at home games as safety team at Ashton  gate stadium are very good, happened a few times at away games last season with variable outcomes ranging from ejections to arrests.!

it is useful to remember again that police numbers into football matches are being encouraged to be lower, most of the home games in fact are policed purely by football spotters only with away football spotters . A few occasions safety stewards have actually helped and supported us police officers!! 

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You didn’t say ‘regulation/law’ and you didn’t ‘add’ anything regarding ‘law’ - your post (above) just mentions a regulation....

I did earlier in the thread, I wrote regulation / law in a reply. I fully understood then that there was no law covering this. It was a colloquial term in the wording of Law.

7 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I did earlier in the thread, I wrote regulation / law in a reply. I fully understood then that there was no law covering this. It was a colloquial term in the wording of Law.

Apologies if I was incorrect....but having re-read the thread...you didn’t mention ‘law’ in a reply earlier in the thread, until you were challenged on there being no law, just a regulation...and I quoted your post which said “...I added the law bit...” when you hadn’t mentioned law in any of your previous posts on this thread....anyway, it matters not!

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies if I was incorrect....but having re-read the thread...you didn’t mention ‘law’ in a reply earlier in the thread, until you were challenged on there being no law, just a regulation...and I quoted your post which said “...I added the law bit...” when you hadn’t mentioned law in any of your previous posts on this thread....anyway, it matters not!

I clearly wrote the sentence as described. Take it from me I a was never under the impression that a Law covered any of this.It was always a regulation, it possibly matters not to you but I prefer clarity. 

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

I clearly wrote the sentence as described. Take it from me I a was never under the impression that a Law covered any of this.It was always a regulation, it possibly matters not to you but I prefer clarity. 

Ok, if you want clarity - you posted that the regulation regarding seating should be upheld but stewards and the police turn a blind eye, then @AshtonParkreplied to you saying why should the police care when there isn’t a law regarding seating - and you replied saying “I said regulation/law, I know there isn’t a law but I added the law bit to appease people...” - but you hadn’t mentioned the word ‘law’ before your response to AshtonPark...and you hadn’t added it to anything previously posted by yourself on the thread...so I said that in a reply to you and you said you had mentioned ‘law’ much earlier in the thread, but you hadn’t, that’s all pretty clear to me...

1 bristolcity: You seem to be obsessed with male parts, however I will reply that perhaps a football match, especially away to a West Midlands Team might not be the best place to avoid your precious kids viewing anything unsavoury, however there wasn't any kid's involved, well none of the OP's it was merely added as an extra scenario that we could all feel horrified about, as if the assault wasn't enough. As a father of three boys I think I can say with some authority they would have not had been scarred for life in witnessing such a thing. 

If you feel so strongly about the potential to offend a 9yr old boy perhaps you could start a crowd funding page, just in case .

I suspect the differences between us are that my kids (especially my grandkids) are indeed precious to me, that families (including young lads and lasses) now watch football in the year 2018, that those families have a right to sit anywhere in a football stadium and not have to see a young lad a few seats away get battered by some arsehole.

I appreciate that you're old-school and undoubtedly head of a well 'ard family who thoroughly enjoyed their days giving it some on the East End but your attitude and the words you post show you to be a veritable dinosaur and more of a female part than a male one! 

why oh why do I reply to a self generating thread by 1 bristolcity: - people stand when they should not - it happens, YOB hits fellow supporter - abominable and disgraceful fact. 

Supporter worries son may have been upset - fair comment - I now have a granddaughter and although I recognise the world is what it is - she would have been scared at physical violence right in front of her - it is not quite the same reaction in real life as seeing it on TV or in a game (ask any enforcement office or member of the armed forces)  - there should not even be a debate here?

But - worst of all for me are these little emoji's (??) with eggplant and unicorn etc - I don't even know what they mean ?

3 hours ago, Markman said:

why oh why do I reply to a self generating thread by 1 bristolcity: - people stand when they should not - it happens, YOB hits fellow supporter - abominable and disgraceful fact. 

Supporter worries son may have been upset - fair comment - I now have a granddaughter and although I recognise the world is what it is - she would have been scared at physical violence right in front of her - it is not quite the same reaction in real life as seeing it on TV or in a game (ask any enforcement office or member of the armed forces)  - there should not even be a debate here?

But - worst of all for me are these little emoji's (??) with eggplant and unicorn etc - I don't even know what they mean ?

Eggplant means Aubergine.

That's all you need to know really.

On 20/09/2018 at 20:48, JulieH said:

Yes this is the same incident 

male arrested and awaiting update from West Midlands police. It was caught on cctv also.

i understand the victim has a broken nose . I am planning to contact him tomorrow to check on him .

this type of unprovoked assault inside the stadium  is rare , and 99% of football games pass without incident week in week out.  

If the offender is charged and convicted then a football banning order will be applied for . 

This incident happened right in front of me and was exactly as the op described it, crazy reaction from the older guy , who had 2 adult daughters with him telling him to restrain himself,  as he attacked the youngster in front with no provocation at all.  The victim was, I felt, remarkably restrained.  Some of our group spoke to stewards afterwards, giving seat numbers etc. offering to give statements if necessary. 

Just arrived at this thread. I do not condone violence nor do I believe it was justifiable in this case BUT had all the City fans adhered to current legislation this would not have happened.

I know that many City fans believe it is their right to stand at away games but it isn’t. Until legislation changes in my view games should be all seated and managed thus by clubs.

On 20/09/2018 at 22:35, 1bristolcity said:

No, edit facility had timed out. ;) 

No offence intended but in my opinion you didn't know what condone means. No harm done, just think you should probably own it rather than coming up with a fairytale about edit facilities and such. I mean that in the nicest possible way so please take this comment as a friendly piece of advice. I've got a friend who says "pacific" instead of "specific"  and also says "blanket bang" instead of "blanket ban" 

Archived