IGNORED

"Was Man Utd win bad for Bristol City?"

Sturny

15 minutes ago, Sturny said:

It was one of (if not THE) best nights I’ve had in 30 years of supporting City. I will NEVER regret the match or result and couldn’t care less if it “cost us” a successful play off push. 

Our time will (hopefully/maybe) come in reaching the premier league, when we are ready for it. 

As a supporter, special cup matches live long in the memory (like Liverpool away, on my 15th birthday) 

Manchester Red was a magical night that I’ll never forget! 

in terms of promotion challenge then yes, the squad was to small for a sustained attack on the league and a cup, we ran out of steam,

In terms of club profile no, we got more exposure then we could of ever dreamed of, which in turn put a few more bums on seats and generated a bit of extra turnover

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

in terms of promotion challenge then yes, the squad was to small for a sustained attack on the league and a cup, we ran out of steam,

In terms of club profile no, we got more exposure then we could of ever dreamed of, which in turn put a few more bums on seats and generated a bit of extra turnover

and assumedly was a big part in Dunder coming on board?

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It was one of (if not THE) best nights I’ve had in 30 years of supporting City. I will NEVER regret the match or result and couldn’t care less if it “cost us” a successful play off push. 

Our time will (hopefully/maybe) come in reaching the premier league, when we are ready for it. 

As a supporter, special cup matches live long in the memory (like Liverpool away, on my 15th birthday) 

Wembley FR final Vs Bolton

Liverpool away.

:wub:

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Exactly this.

Massive exposure for the club and the way we played. Has helped (and will continue to help) the club grow for the future. Excellent night and great for the club. Probably in a better position now overall if we do make it to the Prem, and even if we don't everything is looking bright.

I'm only 24, so personally that was without doubt THE best night of my time supporting Bristol City.

Personally, it wasn't a very good time in my life and without sounding dramatic that night and the last minute winner gave me a serious boost of positivity.

So no,  I wouldn't have traded that result for anything - including a better CHANCE at getting promoted, because it was certainly not nailed on, despite our league position at the time.

20 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

I'm only 24, so personally that was without doubt THE best night of my time supporting Bristol City.

Personally, it wasn't a very good time in my life and without sounding dramatic that night and the last minute winner gave me a serious boost of positivity.

So no,  I wouldn't have traded that result for anything - including a better CHANCE at getting promoted, because it was certainly not nailed on, despite our league position at the time.

Completely agree and had a similar experience at the time. Wouldn't give up that night for anything.

Came in to AG addled with misery and frankly wanting to top myself, final whistle i sprinted on to the pitch crying and screaming my lungs out. Football eh?

Hope you're in a better place mate.

Beating Man U was right up there with our win against Liverpool in the 90s. I can’t remember where we finished in the league after beating Liverpool and I doubt anybody will remember our 2017/18 league position in 20 years time. But that Man U win will live long in the memory*.

*assuming we don’t get promotion and start beating them regularly.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Agreed. That feeling that night, coupled with going in at 1-0 up against Man City in the Semi-Final, was unbelievable. 

I'm in the minority who'd rather win a cup & get into European competition than get promoted. 

Anyway, the pathetic signings in the January transfer window cost us more imo. 

35 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Completely agree and had a similar experience at the time. Wouldn't give up that night for anything.

Came in to AG addled with misery and frankly wanting to top myself, final whistle i sprinted on to the pitch crying and screaming my lungs out. Football eh?

Hope you're in a better place mate.

You were probably one of the 500 strangers I hugged on the pitch that night in that case ?

And thank you @ZiderEyed I am in a much better place - same goes for you, hope that you're feeling a lot more positive now mate.

12 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Agreed. That feeling that night, coupled with going in at 1-0 up against Man City in the Semi-Final, was unbelievable. 

I'm in the minority who'd rather win a cup & get into European competition than get promoted. 

Anyway, the pathetic signings in the January transfer window cost us more imo. 

only with the benefit of hindsight yes,

at the time we signed a 10 million striker on loan and one of Liverpool's most promising wingers 

22 minutes ago, NottsRed said:

I'm not entirely sure the two are correlated to be honest. Our promotion push failed because we ran out of steam playing high press/high tempo with such a small squad. Beating United only meant that we played 2 more games; we would have ran out of steam regardless no? 

The squad was not particularly small. Bristol City ceased to play a high press the moment Famara was introduced to the team. If the intent was ever to play consistently high lines, high tempos the squad would reflect it.

Famara, Diony and Djuric simply lacked the necessary athleticism to get that steam up ... 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

The squad was not particularly small. Bristol City ceased to play a high press the moment Famara was introduced to the team. If the intent was ever to play consistently high lines, high tempos the squad would reflect it.

Famara, Diony and Djuric simply lacked the necessary athleticism to get to get that steam up ... 

I disagree, our high press went as the run went on, and we started giving up our principals in search of results, that and some pretty school boy defending 

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I disagree, our high press went as the run went on, and we started giving up our principals in search of results, that and some pretty school boy defending 

All true, but Diedhiou doesn't press in the same way that Reid did- stylistically? Nowhere near.

That whole thing affected the dynamics of the team- in the same way as Weimann and Taylor necessitates a different style and a different type of pressing to Weimann and Diedhiou. With Reid up top.

At same time, clearly as results dropped we lost confidence- both played a part IMO.

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You have reaffirmed what I have posted. A principle was abandoned with the inclusion of Famara. Bristol City altered its high pressing style to accommodate this player. This player lacks the athleticism to act as the presses trigger, block passing options ... As do Diony and Djuric. Include them you cannot press in the same manner. That is intent not fatigue. 

I refuse to accept that one solitary game of football cost us promotion. After the United game, we took 4 points from our next two league games. So there is no direct correlation between that match and our downturn in form.

The lack of squad depth is also a dubious claim. At the point we played United, our injuries were at their worst - proven by the fact that we had Garita on the bench that night. Actually, our squad depth effectively increased as the season went on and a number of players returned from injury in the new year - yet despite this, our form continued to decline.

There is also the suggestion that we had played too many games. Again, dubious. The early cup rounds featured second-string sides. A truly full strength side was only really played in the three Manchester games and the one against Palace; four matches. We only played two cup games after Christmas, aside from another reserve side game against Watford. Plenty of teams played more games than that later in the season by progressing in the FA Cup.

I don’t think our downturn in form can be attributed to one match or even the cup run overall. The negative effects of the run should have been countered by the confidence boost it would have given us after strong performances against good teams.

If you have to pick one game, I’d say the Wolves games was far more damaging. We were still playing good football at that point, right up until the disastrous last few minutes. But in reality I’d say the loss of form was more likely due to a combination of factors, of which the cup games MAY have been one small part.

21 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Best night I’ve had in footy in just about ever. I won’t remember losing to Villa in January in 10 yrs time but I’ll remember bossing Man U and going apeshit when Korey Smith scored in the last minute. Get in 

Absolutely. Incidentally how many times have people watched Smith’s goal back since?

I think I’m up to about 38,457 at last count. Still not bored.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Famara, Diony and Djuric simply lacked the necessary athleticism to get that steam up ... 

My point still stands. We changed personnel/style when those who started the season so well with the press started to fatigue and/or get injured. This would have happened regardless of the two extra games beating United subjected us to. I don't think the beating Man United "Clipped our Wings" as the article suggests because it was a great night and I ultimately believe that form would have dropped anyway. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Smith scoring in added time was a memory that will always stay with me. I didn’t expect us to win that night and to see the likes of Ibrahamovic, Pogba, Rashford, Lukaku and other star players play at AG in front of a sold out redeveloped stadium took me back to the old Div 1 days 

Yes, it may have cost us a playoff place but there was no guarantee we would go up.

In life you have to take and appreciate what comes along and have no regrets. I am pretty sure those who were there that night and also the players don’t regret that night and the delight it brought to thousands and is now part of our football history and folklore as one of our finest evenings alongside the Liverpool FA cup win in 1994

Archived