IGNORED

Outrageous

Bristol Rob

Bristol taxpayers have given Bristol Energy over 17million quid to this loss making energy provider, run by the city council and recording losses in the many millions annually.

And now their incentive to sign up with them comes with the offer of sixty quid worth of vouchers (I hate that word) to spend on Gas merchandise.

https://www.bristol-energy.co.uk/partners/bristol-rovers

So, we are effectively buying Rovers shirts (indirectly) if you are a tax payer.

Is this ethical?

No, if I were a ratepayer I'd raise an FOI to determine the cost, if any, of the incentive, if subsidized - they might clarify whether or not the subsidy is ringfenced against elements of Bristol Energy's operation. If it isn't they should be asked to demonstrate they are not promoting the commercial interest of a business in open competition with its rivals. Unless demonstrated that the incentive represents 'at price or loss leader' to the commercial partner on the goods or services offered the Council, I think, are foul of the terms of their remit.

They are a 'stand-alone' company to the side of the council, so are able to spend money on what they would see as marketing - they paid for a 'solar balloon' at the balloon fiesta, and so on.
But ultimately, it would seem that this is the case. The money they are giving to Rovers has ultimately come from the city council, and so ultimately from the taxpayers of Bristol. So It's a good point @Bristol Rob - and I'll do some digging. On the face of it, there's nothing specifically untoward about it, it's a legitimate thing to do - so it might have to be an article pointing this out, and suggesting that Bristol City fans aren't too happy that their taxpayers' money is going to Rovers' club shop.
If anyone wants to be quoted expressing their mild annoyance at this, let me know ;)

5 minutes ago, Tristan Cork said:

They are a 'stand-alone' company to the side of the council, so are able to spend money on what they would see as marketing - they paid for a 'solar balloon' at the balloon fiesta, and so on.
But ultimately, it would seem that this is the case. The money they are giving to Rovers has ultimately come from the city council, and so ultimately from the taxpayers of Bristol. So It's a good point @Bristol Rob - and I'll do some digging. On the face of it, there's nothing specifically untoward about it, it's a legitimate thing to do - so it might have to be an article pointing this out, and suggesting that Bristol City fans aren't too happy that their taxpayers' money is going to Rovers' club shop.
If anyone wants to be quoted expressing their mild annoyance at this, let me know ;)

Tristan, the most annoying thing about this is when City were in financial troubles in 1982 Bristol City Council were willing to help City financially but had to revoke that offer when Rovers complained that they were not receiving equal.

It is not just the club shop that Bristol Energy are helping I believe they have a sponsorship pitchside at the ground too.

I know I won't change my supplier to Bristol Energy now

1 minute ago, Busterrimes said:

Tristan, the most annoying thing about this is when City were in financial troubles in 1982 Bristol City Council were willing to help City financially but had to revoke that offer when Rovers complained that they were not receiving equal.

It is not just the club shop that Bristol Energy are helping I believe they have a sponsorship pitchside at the ground too.

I know I won't change my supplier to Bristol Energy now

Too right; anybody BUT Bristol Energy, I would suggest.

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bristol taxpayers have given Bristol Energy over 17million quid to this loss making energy provider, run by the city council and recording losses in the many millions annually.

Bristol taxpayers haven't given anything to Bristol Energy and the council don't run them any more.  The council made an investment and will get a return on that in a couple of years when Bristol Energy is in the black.  Starting up an energy company requires making losses whilst it gets off the ground.  The point in doing it aside from the return on investment is to give people an alternative to the big six and their price gouging and collusion which ultimately funnels money to their largely overseas shareholders.  Buying from Bristol Energy will ultimately benefit Bristol.  Yes the gas link is distasteful but I expect it will get used by about a dozen misguided idiots in total. 

27 minutes ago, Tristan Cork said:

my "mild annoyance" would be ******* unprintable TC.....

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Bristol taxpayers haven't given anything to Bristol Energy and the council don't run them any more.  The council made an investment and will get a return on that in a couple of years when Bristol Energy is in the black.  Starting up an energy company requires making losses whilst it gets off the ground.  The point in doing it aside from the return on investment is to give people an alternative to the big six and their price gouging and collusion which ultimately funnels money to their largely overseas shareholders.  Buying from Bristol Energy will ultimately benefit Bristol.  Yes the gas link is distasteful but I expect it will get used by about a dozen misguided idiots in total. 

Bristol taxpayers just gave another few million quid to Bristol Energy. The council don't run them, no, but are bankrolling them right now. Just last month, another big bail out.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-council-increases-stake-1857987

41 minutes ago, Tristan Cork said:

'I would like my mild annoyance noted' said Bristol Rob of popular Internet Forum 'OTIB' - 'and you can quote me on that!', he added, before helpfully adding in a photo of himself to aid identification and provide more weight to this shocking news.

0030411300000258-3230117-image-a-106_144193305.jpg

21 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Trouble is that this will lose a vast potential market as no City fan would want to be associated with this company. Seems like a badly thought out promotion to me

if city fans don't want to use them because they are linked with rovers is petty, if they provide a service that is value for money and cheaper then the big energy firms then then use them 

15 minutes ago, Tristan Cork said:

Bristol taxpayers just gave another few million quid to Bristol Energy. The council don't run them, no, but are bankrolling them right now. Just last month, another big bail out.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-council-increases-stake-1857987

At the risk of repeating myself, no, the council didn't give money to Bristol Energy.  I know we can't expect much from evil post reporters but there's a fundamental difference between giving and making an investment.  Working for the daily mail must be soul destroying but please do try to have a basic level of integrity and avoid using misleading nonsense terms like bail out.

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

if city fans don't want to use them because they are linked with rovers is petty, if they provide a service that is value for money and cheaper then the big energy firms then then use them 

This completely. I don't imagine anyone stopped drinking Thatchers because they've sponsored Rovers before.

My point was more around them marketing to a very small pool of people with what appears to a very generous incentive given they are in receipt of central funds.

Parky gives you a Parker Pen (just for enquiring) and Bristol Energy seem to be lumping out significant!

1 minute ago, archie andrews said:

yeah lets all bail out rovers too.....

I'd rather think of my own bills first, then a bit of football triblism, 

have people stopped drinking blackthorn or Thatchers or Doombar? they all sponsor rovers at some point, what about boycoting milk?

That sort of thinking is basically a bit bristol rovers and people should rise above it  

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

I'd rather think of my own bills first, then a bit of football triblism, 

have people stopped drinking blackthorn or Thatchers or Doombar? they all sponsor rovers at some point, what about boycoting milk?

That sort of thinking is basically a bit bristol rovers and people should rise above it  

so you are saying its wrong to hate the gas then?

I don’t think people are worried about various sponsors if they are independent companies, Thatchers etc, but when a company is  propped up by the local council who people pay council tax to to cover amenities and services I don’t think they should then expect it to then prop up an ailing football club

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

At the risk of repeating myself, no, the council didn't give money to Bristol Energy.  I know we can't expect much from evil post reporters but there's a fundamental difference between giving and making an investment.  Working for the daily mail must be soul destroying but please do try to have a basic level of integrity and avoid using misleading nonsense terms like bail out.

Okay, would it be fair to say that Bristol Council have invested more in a loss making energy supplier than Wally has in a loss making football club?

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Okay, would it be fair to say that Bristol Council have invested more in a loss making energy supplier than Wally has in a loss making football club?

Almost, I think football club is a bit generous. 

But then I've invested more in the local pub than Wally has invested in the blue few.

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

There's a computer shop in Henbury which is no doubt cheaper than some larger alternative companies but I won't be using it anytime soon.

14 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Daily Mail? The Post hasn't been owned by the Daily Mail for years and years. We're now owned by, effectively, the Mirror.
Bristol Energy would've gone bust by now were it not for the millions invested in it by Bristol City Council. 

Archived