IGNORED

Not one of them

SStandUp

Not one of them comes out of that game with any credit.

I know people like to say the buck lies at the managers door etc.

But how frustrating must it be managing this set of players. The inconsistency is remarkable. Absolutely remarkable. 

Name one player who played over 60% of their potential today? Makes it tough to win any game when all 10 outfield players perform so far below what they have previously shown. 

5 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

But how frustrating must it be managing this set of players. The inconsistency is remarkable. Absolutely remarkable. 

Name one player who played over 60% of their potential today? Makes it tough to win any game when all 10 outfield players perform so far below what they have previously shown. 

LJ said pretty much post match.

7 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

As you say sometimes the blame lies at the players mistakes like at West Brom and LJ takes no blame for that,today he takes the full blame I’m afraid,Paterson has looked awful in his sub performances but trained fantastic  so deserves a starting place

6 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I agree 100% with your sentiments.  I wanted to start a thread titled “Johnson Out?  Nope!  Players Out?  Yes”.

The players let the manager down, and listening to his interview, I saw a maturing head-coach.  Well said Lee.

I do think one player should be spared from being tarred tonight and that’s Webster.  Thought he showed good leadership, battled hard, tried to play.  Everyone else not up to the agreed level.

So what was the catalyst / who was the scapegoat....yes, me, I’m looking for a scapegoat!!  I don’t like doing it, but Paterson I think had a big negative effect on the team tonight.  After a brightish opening 10 minutes from us, Pato started to drift.  There was one moment I picked out.  Pato has drifted central, we lost the ball.  Brownhill covered the left side.  Wigan played the bull around slowly enough to give time for Pato to either fall into JB’s CM spot, or even swap completely over with JB.  He sauntered back (sideways actually) with JB pointing at him to come back.  He didn’t, and Wigan played a straight ball into the hole in CM and broke on us.  It came to nothing, but MP became exposed.  When Pato was subbed he looked surprised.  If he thinks that was the required level I'm very disappointed in him.  In fairness it wasn’t just him...it’s just that he had a real chance to show what he can do tonight and he failed miserably.

Thought Kalas was very disappointing too.  Letting balls bounce, should’ve had a penalty given against him.

4 minutes ago, Dingbat said:

I thought Maenpaa looked pretty assured. He pinged a few nice passes out to the wings - you know, the sort Frankie puts in the stands. Not sure Nikki could do anything about the goal either.

he was indecisive for the goal. Should either attack the ball or stay on his line.  Caught in nomans land.

7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

As you say sometimes the blame lies at the players mistakes like at West Brom and LJ takes no blame for that,today he takes the full blame I’m afraid,Paterson has looked awful in his sub performances but trained fantastic  so deserves a starting place

I guess he dangled a carrot for Pato, expecting him to chase it....and he got let down.

5 minutes ago, Dingbat said:

I thought Maenpaa looked pretty assured. He pinged a few nice passes out to the wings - you know, the sort Frankie puts in the stands. Not sure Nikki could do anything about the goal either.

Next.

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

he was indecisive for the goal. Should either attack the ball or stay on his line.  Caught in nomans land.

It was a quality ball, I lay no blame on Niki for that.

15 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I think Elliason did ok. At least he made a few tackles despite being the most lightweight in the team and he tried to get forward.

Maenpaa, Webster and Kalas were ok.

Thats it really, the rest were abysmal but Paterson was worse. I hate seeing players hide during games and I was surprised that LJ didn't sub him at half time, the others were carrying him, he was a liability defensively and offered nothing to the team.

Big step backwards that game.

The only thing I think LJ did wrong tonight was to start Paterson. I thought he picked a team fully capable of winning the game, the players just let him down badly with a performance devoid of any desire. I''m normally a big LJ critic but looking at tonight in isolation, the blame can be pointed at the 11 on the field. They didn't want to be there tonight at all, but I bet they'll all mysteriously be playing their hearts out next week vs Villa.

I thought the whole defence looked shakey tbh.

Hunt - lightweight in the tackle & lost the ball in bad areas.

Kalas- a bit naive against that ginger gobshite. He let him rattle him and he fell for it, whereas Flint & Baker had him for breakfast at Portman Road last season. Caught out a few times positional wise and gave away silly free kicks.

Webster - gave the ball away too often and looked lightweight at times.

Kelly - gave too many free kicks away. There is a time to press and a time not to. He doesn't have give away cheap free kicks as he's quick enough. That said I think he was our best player tonight.

5 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Lost the headed challenge for the goal which was the pivotal moment..,big learning curve for him the last four days.,,thought he was average at best tonight

I wish he’d have taken a leaf out of Bobby’s  book and beefed up a bit over the off season. He looks great on the ball, but his lack of physicality is so far showing this year. He should have won that header, no question. 

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Niki may have been indecisive for the goal, but his overall performances this season have been very good.  He will probably be disappointed, but we are all entitled to the odd misjudgement.

Do you have a goalkeeper in mind that could save something like this? Seriously, no one saves those, it was the perfect cross / header.

12 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Lost the headed challenge for the goal which was the pivotal moment..,big learning curve for him the last four days.,,thought he was average at best tonight

But that was out on the wing?! Two way more experienced defenders failed to get tight to their men to defend the cross. Only slight culpability should be lumped on Kelly.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Do you have a goalkeeper in mind that could save something like this? Seriously, no one saves those, it was the perfect cross / header.

Agreed but defenders did not challenge the goalscorer

1 minute ago, 42nite said:

I think Kelly gave away too many niggly fouls.

Yes and he also played backwards to often, but his touch was decent when under pressure many times and he kept letting key challenges in when we were defending deep 

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

But that was out on the wing?! Two way more experienced defenders failed to get tight to their men to defend the cross. Only slight culpability should be lumped on Kelly.

Agreed but defenders did not challenge the goalscorer

I actually thought Webster was at fault for that goal. Nearest defender to Windass, let’s him pick up the ball, take a couple of touches, turn, look up and put the cross in.

Knowing he wasn’t in the middle to defend it he should have been getting tighter to stop it coming in but just stands there watching.

Very symptomatic of a very lethargic, lacklustre and instantly forgettable  performance.

One to write off, players deserve the criticism and lets hope it’s gets the right reaction from them next week.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree 100% with your sentiments.  I wanted to start a thread titled “Johnson Out?  Nope!  Players Out?  Yes”.

The players let the manager down, and listening to his interview, I saw a maturing head-coach.  Well said Lee.

I do think one player should be spared from being tarred tonight and that’s Webster.  Thought he showed good leadership, battled hard, tried to play.  Everyone else not up to the agreed level.

So what was the catalyst / who was the scapegoat....yes, me, I’m looking for a scapegoat!!  I don’t like doing it, but Paterson I think had a big negative effect on the team tonight.  After a brightish opening 10 minutes from us, Pato started to drift.  There was one moment I picked out.  Pato has drifted central, we lost the ball.  Brownhill covered the left side.  Wigan played the bull around slowly enough to give time for Pato to either fall into JB’s CM spot, or even swap completely over with JB.  He sauntered back (sideways actually) with JB pointing at him to come back.  He didn’t, and Wigan played a straight ball into the hole in CM and broke on us.  It came to nothing, but MP became exposed.  When Pato was subbed he looked surprised.  If he thinks that was the required level I'm very disappointed in him.  In fairness it wasn’t just him...it’s just that he had a real chance to show what he can do tonight and he failed miserably.

Thought Kalas was very disappointing too.  Letting balls bounce, should’ve had a penalty given against him.

Interesting reading your comments Dave

I applaud his honesty in some ways , but this approach hasn’t worked before in his tenure... let’s see how this goes .. their was a disturbing lack of harmony and spirit tonight all round 

Ive posted a number of times that I question his influence on any given performance or spell .... Again I’m back to the same place

His Squad , his players , and 3 years in 

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Any reflection on your half time comments about my remarks ...... Pep ?

The second half was similar to the first and I’d add that City were undone by one piece of good play, a great cross and even better header - Diedhiou had an easier chance to nick a point but missed a sitter......it happens. Onwards and upwards.....

Paul Cook said post match that a draw would have been a fair result...he’s right there.

1 hour ago, Dingbat said:

He started to come and stopped for the goal. 

Dreadful goal all around no full back and Kalas lost. 

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Thought Eliasson was our best player until he was prematurely hauled off.

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

He started to come and stopped for the goal. 

Dreadful goal all around no full back and Kalas lost. 

Nonsense......

It was a quality cross from Windass and a well placed header from Powell who directed it back across Mäenpää’ who had moved slightly to his right and was consequently wrong footed.

No one was at fault for the winner but if you want a scapegoat blame Diedhiou for missing a sitter...

57 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Not sure the header was the pivotal moment. Kelly challenged with Garner, a player who even the best Cb’s in this division don’t get a free header from. Neither player won it and it dropped kindly for Windass. 

The pivotal moments are from here. Paterson is nowhere near and thus not offering any defensive support whatsoever. But Webster has been pulled wide following Windass and then gives him waaaay too much room to pick a cross. Webster had Kelly & Pack covering inside him and should have acted like a left back at this point and do everything he could to stop the cross. 

For me, I can’t put any blame on Kelly for this one. All he did was challenge for a header vs a notoriously difficult opponent and neither of them won it. He didn’t lose a header in a dangerous position. Webster needs to do more here. 

Archived