IGNORED

Excellent Post Match Interview

Cardy

Fair play LJ you have hit the nail on the head with that. I know we can argue that the likes of O'Dowda & Taylor should have started but he can't start his best 11 every match in this league. At the end of the day he put out a team more than capable of a decent performance & yet they go & deliver that shite. The players must take the flack for this performance & I fully expect to now see Taylor & O'Dowda start against Villa. If I never see Paterson in a City shirt again it will be too soon. Embarrassing & spineless effort by all tonight though.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Honest (fair play) but extremely concerning that again he admits he didn’t see it coming and criticises desire himself

This is now HIS squad TOTALLY HIS and off a recent run of results is having to concede bemusement and embarrassment and a lack of desire tonight

Personally I find that extremely alarming

His squad , his players 

23 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Fair play LJ you have hit the nail on the head with that. I know we can argue that the likes of O'Dowda & Taylor should have started but he can't start his best 11 every match in this league. At the end of the day he put out a team more than capable of a decent performance & yet they go & deliver that shite. The players must take the flack for this performance & I fully expect to now see Taylor & O'Dowda start against Villa. If I never see Paterson in a City shirt again it will be too soon. Embarrassing & spineless effort by all tonight though.

I noticed that he didn’t admit he got the formation wrong 

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Pato starting was a real mystery. The bloke's not looked sharp since the cup run. O'Dowda was getting high praise from the WBA fans and anyone who saw the game must have known he was the man to start tonight.

And yet in training he’s the bollox so deserved his start according to LJ over players that have produced in actual games 

2 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

How the hell can we turn in a performance like that after Tuesday.?

Fatigue. It has to be, the effort they put in against WBA was massive, and to come away with nothing was probably the biggest factor.

Wigan played on Tuesday 1bc, they looked okay. We were just rubbish! A really depressing performance and some players need a damn good old fashioned bollocking, not a bloody rest! 

My Viz Top Tip: avoid gnashing your teeth at City's disappointing away losses by simply tuming in for the last 8 minutes of the game, like I did.

Honestly  we looked great for those 8!

More seriously, is anyone who watched the whole game going to give Wigan some credit for their game? West Brom's stellar squad was widely used as an explanation of why we were punished for sloppiness there. The Latics have been going well this season - as their league position shows. Did anyone think they'd be a pushover?

• Admin
7 hours ago, Swede said:

Taylor would have come on only for the injury.

If there was one thing to come out of that abject performance is that LJ has to work on utilising the other members of the squad.

Have no idea what Marley Watkins was doing in that challenge with Kalas, you could hear Kalas shout over the TV! 

Was funny at half time I messaged friends saying I bet LJ changes both wingers on 60 minutes (I was 45 SECONDS out) and brings Taylor on in the 78th minute... Which I'm sure would have happened. 

All very well LJ being "honest" but as usual it's somebody else's fault! 

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

My Viz Top Tip: avoid gnashing your teeth at City's disappointing away losses by simply tuming in for the last 8 minutes of the game, like I did.

More seriously, is anyone who watched the whole game going to give Wigan some credit for their game? West Brom's stellar squad was widely used as an explanation of why we were punished for sloppiness there. The Latics have been going well this season - as their league position shows. Did anyone think they'd be a pushover?

Said in another thread they stopped Us playing - their central 3 certainly bossed ours and that was clearly where we lost (or rather were prevented from getting back in) the game.

9 hours ago, Cardy said:

What a spineless and embarrassing performance from Johnson. His players and tactics. We have ended up after his transfer activity since he took over with a leaderless team on the pitch with no one able to galvanise or inspire. No one player who can make a difference. 

Wigan were excellent but it was a poor performance from us. It is unfair to make Patterson the scapegoat as there were another 7-8 very poor performances. Pato actually started well for 5-10 minutes but then went downhill as it did for the rest of the team. When both your central midfielders have an off day it is hard to go and win a football match. I don't think Johnno's formation can be blamed, the players simply couldn't pass a ball 10 yards last night. It will be better against Villa COYR

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Said in another thread they stopped Us playing - their central 3 certainly bossed ours and that was clearly where we lost (or rather were prevented from getting back in) the game.

There is a curious and irritating contradiction about LJ.

On the one hand he's someone who is keen to learn new things. On the other, he is absolutely wedded to what he calls 'my 4-4-2'.

Even after for once changing it against Sheff U and finding it worked he immediately reverted to type, meaning we were out numbered in midfield in the next two games, for which we paid the price.

I have found that one of the biggest barriers to progress in any walk of life is precisely this 'I've always done it this way' mindset.

All of which makes LJ both a modern and an old fashioned coach in the same body.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Have no idea what Marley Watkins was doing in that challenge with Kalas, you could hear Kalas shout over the TV! 

Was funny at half time I messaged friends saying I bet LJ changes both wingers on 60 minutes (I was 45 SECONDS out) and brings Taylor on in the 78th minute... Which I'm sure would have happened. 

All very well LJ being "honest" but as usual it's somebody else's fault! 

There is a balance to be struck. The head coach carries the ultimate responsibility but it is too easy for players to hide behind him and avoid carrying the can for their personal performance.

The selected team was perfectly capable of winning the game but by and large gave the impression they couldn't be assed.

Good players can have bad games but there is never any excuse for lack of fight.

39 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What a spineless and embarrassing performance from Johnson. His players and tactics. We have ended up after his transfer activity since he took over with a leaderless team on the pitch with no one able to galvanise or inspire. No one player who can make a difference. 

What a pathetic and embarrassing post from you, red rascal 2!  How can you use the words spineless and embarrassing after we've lost 1-0 away to a decent team, and should have at least had a draw.

Nonsense. 

31 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

What a pathetic and embarrassing post from you, red rascal 2!  How can you use the words spineless and embarrassing after we've lost 1-0 away to a decent team, and should have at least had a draw.

Nonsense. 

Ummm didn't LJ use at least one of those words himself? Wouldn't surprise me if spineless, or something like it, was mentioned by him in the dressing room either.

50 minutes ago, chinapig said:

There is a curious and irritating contradiction about LJ.

On the one hand he's someone who is keen to learn new things. On the other, he is absolutely wedded to what he calls 'my 4-4-2'.

Even after for once changing it against Sheff U and finding it worked he immediately reverted to type, meaning we were out numbered in midfield in the next two games, for which we paid the price.

I have found that one of the biggest barriers to progress in any walk of life is precisely this 'I've always done it this way' mindset.

All of which makes LJ both a modern and an old fashioned coach in the same body.

It only "worked" against Sheffield Utd when we reverted to 4-4-2

I'm not sure another formation would have done much last night. It sounds like the players were tired - and that makes you question their general fitness.

Although this summer's recruitment was better than I thought at the time, myself and most other Otibers were calling out for the recruitment of a robust central midfielder. Either a battering ram Marv Elliot type or a more refined distributor in the Tinion/Hartley mould. 

That player never arrived, and his absence is acutely felt in games like this.

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I actually hated those 8 minutes. Fam's shot into Row Z, Weimann's weak header, several missed opportunities to cross... Aaarghhh

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I’m gonna do a Wigan Ratings thread for context.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I actually hated those 8 minutes. Fam's shot into Row Z, Weimann's weak header, several missed opportunities to cross... Aaarghhh

At least we had 99% of possession! :laugh:

And Wigan's attempt to play it into the corner to timewaste was even more inept than when we try to do that ?

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Wigan were excellent but it was a poor performance from us. It is unfair to make Patterson the scapegoat as there were another 7-8 very poor performances. Pato actually started well for 5-10 minutes but then went downhill as it did for the rest of the team. When both your central midfielders have an off day it is hard to go and win a football match. I don't think Johnno's formation can be blamed, the players simply couldn't pass a ball 10 yards last night. It will be better against Villa COYR

Spot on.

and when they did pass it 10 yards it was as if they were making a 40 yard pass and firing it at each other

a very frustrating game to watch as we could have easily walked away with a win if our midfield decided to show up

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It only "worked" against Sheffield Utd when we reverted to 4-4-2

I'm not sure another formation would have done much last night. It sounds like the players were tired - and that makes you question their general fitness.

Although this summer's recruitment was better than I thought at the time, myself and most other Otibers were calling out for the recruitment of a robust central midfielder. Either a battering ram Marv Elliot type or a more refined distributor in the Tinion/Hartley mould. 

That player never arrived, and his absence is acutely felt in games like this.

It worked to the extent that it stopped them doing what they usually do, drawing the sting before opening out.

I have lost count of the number of times we have been dominated in midfield under LJ, the opposition often driving straight through with little or no challenge, through simple lack of numbers. At times LJ crosses the line between being an attacking coach and just being gung ho.

As to fitness, he was bragging about how fit the players are only days ago so he isn't going to use that as an excuse.

Though I appreciate fatigue is currently the fashionable excuse, with most PL players apparently dead on their feet already, I don't think we can give our players a get out on that basis.

Archived