IGNORED

Paterson

CityCiderEd

Eliassson playing all night (well, til he got dragged) on the wrong side, for me. Best crosser at the club in years, not used properly tonight. No doubt the poor kid will have to sit on the bench for Villa game.

Remember that spell of corners at the and of the 1st half? 4 in a row, all on the button. Where's Matt Smith when you need him?

I think he'll struggle to get a starting place in the next few weeks, if not months, after tonight. It was his chance to really put a marker down and show why he should be in contention against an functional, but lets be honest, average Wigan team.

He's not a wide midfielder, so I'm curious as to why LJ plays him out there. He needs space to roam in the number 10 role or part of an interchanging front 3. It felt like he'd been shoehorned in because he was promised a start and he'll never get in ahead of Fam/Weimann/Taylor in a more forward position. 

But whilst being played out of position (IMO) may excuse how you effect the game overall, it shouldn't dictate how bad your touch is and being lightweight in the tackle. He hasn't played well for sometime now and the only way I can see him getting back in is with either injuries/suspensions, or impressing from the bench when a game is already won.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I don't think he is being deliberately shit, or not trying, if that's what you are implying

Depends on whether you class hiding or pulling out of challenges as ‘not trying’

Through his career he has had dips to anonymity 

Good tool / option for a very good side 

When he’s not at it he’s a passenger and has been since January

He is a talented footballer.

He gets played in the wrong position.

Whatever virus he got in Nov/Dec last year has physically ruined him. 

Said at the end end of last season I would judge LJs managerial capabilities by how he dealt with Pato over the close season. He should have gone to the same fitness/conditioning ‘school’ as that used by Bobby and Joe. Didn’t happen.

Shit management and shit commitment imo. 

What did he do at WBA that could merit a starting place?? Bizarre choice to start tonight and looks like he needs to hit the gym as so easily dispossessed. 

Hope this isn’t a case of 3 years contract and cruise but whilst outstanding up to xmas last year has been dreadful for months so not sure why he deserved a 3 year inthe first place.

Got ability but 1 in 5 isn’t good enough for us.

3 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Somewhat clearer now why Forest let him go. Seemed like we were playing with 10 men tonight.

My thoughts exactly and it's been that way for far too long.

Very surprised at the length of his new contract, it's not as though he's likely to be in demand from other Championship clubs based on his sporadic career so far.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

LJ certainly seemed pissed off with a couple of players tonight. Paterson is my guess. And likely Brownhill too. 

You don’t have to be a genius to know Paterson was one them. He walked to the bench in disbelief and didn’t get any attention from the coaching staff apart from Scotty. Looked like he couldn’t give a toss out there tonight.

Don’t think we’ll be seeing him for a while. O’Dowda came on and in two minutes, we looked more direct.

He impressed in training apparently. How else can LJ judge him before tonight.  LJ wanted him to drift in to support the front 2 so FD didn’t get isolated as AW drops deep   I can see why he played him but it didn’t work.   

LJ got it spot on v sheffvutd but got it wrong tonight as I thought he should have rested Brownhill for Walsh.  

Always tough playing 3 games in 6 days. 

Need to get something out of the villa game now

Here's one I prepared last April....

To all those on the Patterson love-in on this thread a simple question. When was the last time both of his feet left the turf?

Saturday he produced another masterclass in how to avoid getting one's hair dirty. Ball in the air ? Simple, crouch down behind your opponent, arm in their back pushing off and feign disgust that you've been muscled off the ball. Angles? Maintain a position with an opponent, or more often the ref, between you and the ball and it looks as though you've kept yourself in the game knowing you're actually hiding in plain sight. Kid undoubtedly has talent when he chooses to use it,  sadly its matched by an attitude that sucks - much as we were told when we signed him.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Here's one I prepared last April....

To all those on the Patterson love-in on this thread a simple question. When was the last time both of his feet left the turf?

Saturday he produced another masterclass in how to avoid getting one's hair dirty. Ball in the air ? Simple, crouch down behind your opponent, arm in their back pushing off and feign disgust that you've been muscled off the ball. Angles? Maintain a position with an opponent, or more often the ref, between you and the ball and it looks as though you've kept yourself in the game knowing you're actually hiding in plain sight. Kid undoubtedly has talent when he chooses to use it,  sadly its matched by an attitude that sucks - much as we were told when we signed him.

Interesting. Accurate, I won’t argue. 

Do you have an analysis from last October, November, December..? 

15 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You don’t have to be a genius to know Paterson was one them. He walked to the bench in disbelief and didn’t get any attention from the coaching staff apart from Scotty. Looked like he couldn’t give a toss out there tonight.

Don’t think we’ll be seeing him for a while. O’Dowda came on and in two minutes, we looked more direct.

COD, along with everyone else, didn’t look a shadow of the player that we saw on Tuesday. 

Elliason didn’t, COD didn’t, Fammy didn’t, Kalas didn’t, the list goes on.

Paterson was picked for a reason, based on training, when we needed to use our squad (3 games in 7 days) he earned his start, but he didn’t take the chance. 

We all know that Paterson and COD are hit and miss players, at the moment. The only consistently reliable outfield players are Kalas (usually) Kelly, Pack, Brownhill & Wiemann, and none of them were on top of their game tonight. 

38 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I heard again tonight that contract talks with COD are akin to Brexit - going nowhere. May explain why Patto started? 

45 minutes ago, June Bailey said:

I heard again tonight that contract talks with COD are akin to Brexit - going nowhere. May explain why Patto started? 

Whatever the reason ...

If COD doesn’t become a normal starter , as someone trying to push through in International Football I cant see him signing one or hanging around here

Archived