IGNORED

Paterson

CityCiderEd

6 hours ago, June Bailey said:

I heard again tonight that contract talks with COD are akin to Brexit - going nowhere. May explain why Patto started? 

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Whatever the reason ...

If COD doesn’t become a normal starter , as someone trying to push through in International Football I cant see him signing one or hanging around here

Certainly dropping COD after a really good performance (against WBA) is not going to help in persuading him to sign a new contract. It seemed to me he got on the ball more in his first 6 minutes on the pitch than Pato had in 60 mins!  Totally baffling decision to pick Pato (or Watkins) in front of him based on form in actual matches.  

32 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Certainly dropping COD after a really good performance (against WBA) is not going to help in persuading him to sign a new contract. It seemed to me he got on the ball more in his first 6 minutes on the pitch than Pato had in 60 mins!  Totally baffling decision to pick Pato (or Watkins) in front of him based on form in actual matches.  

Right. Plus if he won't sign and we have to sell him in Jan his price won't go up if he sits on the bench for the next 3 months.

Paterson is an infuriating player isn’t he. When he’s good he’s fantastic, but that hasn’t been the case for months now.

When he’s poor, he’s absolutely dreadful. I remember watching him at Brentford last season and coming away saying that he was so anonymous it was like playing with 10 men. He then had an upturn in form and looked a really good player. But since January he’s been so bad there’s been no point in him even being on the pitch. He’s a luxury player and you just can’t afford those in this league. 

The thing that annoys me the most about him is how can a guy who fancies himself as a striker get caught offside so often. He's barely in the game and when he does get the ball up goes the flag.

No doubt he has talent but such a frustrating player and regretfully I think we have already seen the best of him at the City.

10 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I don't think he is being deliberately shit, or not trying, if that's what you are implying

How can you say he was trying last night. I don't mind a player who gives it everything but has a bad game. A surprise recall to the the team and a chance to impress and look at the effort he put in. Pitiful. 

We have to send Patto off on loan to get him match fit and rebuild his confidence.

He shouldn't be anywhere near our bench at present, let alone the first 11. So many moves break down with him.

COD is the best player we have at the club in terms of potential. He needs to get plenty of game time to get fully fit too. Granted he's had a slow start to the season but he's getting stronger all the time...oh and play him in the middle too

10 hours ago, June Bailey said:

I heard again tonight that contract talks with COD are akin to Brexit - going nowhere. May explain why Patto started? 

In which case we have to sell him in January.

Arguably not play him so he's more of a risk to a buyer and doesn't get many offers - perhaps that will make our contract competitive.

He looks good at times but he is more workhorse than racehorse we shouldn't be afraid of moving on.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I would’ve sold him in the summer. We gave him a new 3 year deal& pay rise. Baffling

Agreed, but who would have wanted to buy him after his dreadful form for much of last season?

To give Paterson a 3 year deal LJ and MA must view him as a key squad player throughout that time, better than any young players coming through and the equal of any similar player we may sign over those 3 years.

Yet his career shows him to be the epitome of inconsistency, and he'll be almost 30 by the time this contract expires and any resale value will be gone.

A 1 year deal, along with the challenge to prove he could show the consistency over that period to prove he deserved another deal would surely have been the way to go.

He's in the comfort zone now, with the implicit message that his contribution up to now is seemed as worthy of reward, when in reality he has done very little to merit such a cozy situation.

13 hours ago, Dman_Red said:

I think he'll struggle to get a starting place in the next few weeks, if not months, after tonight. It was his chance to really put a marker down and show why he should be in contention against an functional, but lets be honest, average Wigan team.

He's not a wide midfielder, so I'm curious as to why LJ plays him out there. He needs space to roam in the number 10 role or part of an interchanging front 3. It felt like he'd been shoehorned in because he was promised a start and he'll never get in ahead of Fam/Weimann/Taylor in a more forward position. 

But whilst being played out of position (IMO) may excuse how you effect the game overall, it shouldn't dictate how bad your touch is and being lightweight in the tackle. He hasn't played well for sometime now and the only way I can see him getting back in is with either injuries/suspensions, or impressing from the bench when a game is already won.

He has played in the number 10 several times this season and has still been poor, Paterson and the number 10 role is a total red herring, yes up until December he was great and since he has been consistently poor wherever he has been played and he weakens the team defensively and midfield wise.

At some stage it needs to be decided, he had half season where he was great but that time has gone and looks as though it will never return.

But LJ loves him, I suspect sadly he sees a lot of himself in him.

12 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

He impressed in training apparently. How else can LJ judge him before tonight.  LJ wanted him to drift in to support the front 2 so FD didn’t get isolated as AW drops deep   I can see why he played him but it didn’t work.   

LJ got it spot on v sheffvutd but got it wrong tonight as I thought he should have rested Brownhill for Walsh.  

Always tough playing 3 games in 6 days. 

Need to get something out of the villa game now

He has impressed in training since January and has totally failed to transfer that impressiveness into games, it cannot go on.

As for the highlighted portion Wigan managed it OK.

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Excellent before January. There is a good player there. He’s trained well, he earned his chance. 

Although I agree that he didn’t take it tonight. 

1st sentence I agree.

2nd sentence he cannot be selected on that basis, how many more miserable performances before that good player finally and belatedly emerges once more.

3rd sentence once again selecting on that basis has not worked either, how many more chances?

14 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Eliassson playing all night (well, til he got dragged) on the wrong side, for me. Best crosser at the club in years, not used properly tonight. No doubt the poor kid will have to sit on the bench for Villa game.

Remember that spell of corners at the and of the 1st half? 4 in a row, all on the button. Where's Matt Smith when you need him?

Or Aiden Flint

9 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He has impressed in training since January and has totally failed to transfer that impressiveness into games, it cannot go on.

2x home v 2x away. Slight difference 

also, it made sense to bring in Patterson but he had a poor game. 

Elliason was poor last year, Brownhill was iffey at the end of the season   Bobby Reid was poor 2 years ago. I could go on    Players form goes up and down.  I can’t understand when we lose people are looking for a scape goat 

16 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

2x home v 2x away. Slight difference 

also, it made sense to bring in Patterson but he had a poor game. 

Elliason was poor last year, Brownhill was iffey at the end of the season   Bobby Reid was poor 2 years ago. I could go on    Players form goes up and down.  I can’t understand when we lose people are looking for a scape goat 

Yes a slight difference but they actually put effort in.

Sense? based exactly on what? certainly not form over the past nearly 10 months that's for sure.

Scapegoat really? all he has done since January is to weaken the team and our current midfield need all hands on deck at present and of course we won 4 games on the trot without him playing.

On 22/09/2018 at 12:38, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I cannot believe you believe that (highlighted bit) when you think 2 home games is the same effect as 2 away games for recovery, what I can believe is our Bob liked it.:yes:

7 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I cannot believe you believe that (highlighted bit) when you think 2 home games is the same effect as 2 away games for recovery, what I can believe is our Bob liked it.:yes:

Two home games is different, but let’s not forget we didn’t travel home after Brom and the back to Wigan.  Unfamiliar surroundings for a day or so, yes, but not excessive travel causing a poor performance.

4 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

So what?, they are supposed to be super fit athletes but played like downs league players, their effort was poor, their application was poor, the truth is one team wanted to win it enough to go the extra mile and the other team looked as though they they were scared, the performance was pathetic and unacceptable and you are making excuses (but I can believe that as well) not even LJ is making excuses, he actually called it the way most of us saw it.

18 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

So what?, they are supposed to be super fit athletes but played like downs league players, their effort was poor, their application was poor, the truth is one team wanted to win it enough to go the extra mile and the other team looked as though they they were scared, the performance was pathetic and unacceptable and you are making excuses (but I can believe that as well) not even LJ is making excuses, he actually called it the way most of us saw it.

Not making excuses just stating the obvious, of course if LJ actually mentioned fatigue he would be slated, but it is a factor. Of course it was a bad performance, not denying that, but no team steps on to pitch wanting that sort of display, it happens to all teams no matter how 'super fit' you are. 

Look no further than Villa and Leeds Saturday, it happens...

Archived