IGNORED

Bring back Taylor

Meh

Taylor and Weimann were very good together and what they lacked in height they made up for in  energy, pace and movement.

Since Famara is back and starting games we are predictable, lacking ideas in the final third and creating little.

Last season, due to injuries, we had a fair few games with no height and played our best football of the season for many games.

Nothing against Famara but we seem to rally as a team and play better football when the lob into the box is not really an option.

I know most think we need Famara starting but not me - happy to be in a minority on this one. 

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Taylor and Weimann were very good together and what they lacked in height they made up for in  energy, pace and movement.

Since Famara is back and starting games we are predictable, lacking ideas in the final third and creating little.

Last season, due to injuries, we had a fair few games with no height and played our best football of the season for many games.

Nothing against Famara but we seem to rally as a team and play better football when the lob into the box is not really an option.

I know most think we need Famara starting but not me - happy to be in a minority on this one. 

Not sure Taylor is the answer despite his effort but the point about Famara extremely valid and one I questioned through last season

I have come to the conclusion that Fam is a good striker for the division but not a great fit for us. If only we had Tammy two years later. Point being think Tammy is a more complete player at this level(will hold the ball up better, bit quicker, make the better pass just maybe not score the more spectacular goal). 

Also not sure we will ever be serious playoff contenders with this 442. Not the way LJ plays it. If those 2 midfielder sat then you could maybe see it but he asks them to get forward. Doesn’t even tell one to stay back and protect. I mean one will be deeper than the other at times but they share it which I think makes it easy to be less responsible. 

Now all that is out of the way, Matty Taylor is not going to make this side any better starting. I am gonna bang this drum until he doesn’t wear the shirt anymore. Just because he played well in two of our best performance this year does not forgive the other 40 not so good ones in a city shirt. He is not someone who makes us a playoff contender. I feel like I know how QPR fans felt about Conor Washington. Yea he will play hard and put himself about bit when he has to take a touch in traffic or take a quick chance in the box I have no faith. 

Truth is, this club needed another striker this summer. They needed another central midfielder. They failed to get either and that will prevent this club taking a step forward this season. Recruited relatively well but we needed a couple pieces of quality but we added graft. There will be a few more nights like tonight. As well as we have played at times, the warning signs have been there. Blackburn should have been up at HT. sheff U the same. WBA exposed us so we went more defensive and we got tonight. We aren’t good enough to be very attacking against good sides. We aren’t good enough defensively to reign it in and be a bit safer. A quality striker would have put us 1-0 up on that Weimann chance.

I hope I don’t seem overly negative. I really like our squad. Just felt we probably had the funds to bring in a bit more quality. Thought we could have done without the Watkins signing(he’s been ok bit has contributed). We just needed that one or two bits of magic in the squad and we never got it which means we are an average side again. 

i dont think attack is our problem, its midfield, all 4 were dreadfull last night, why odowda never started was beyond me, i think walsh should have been brought on but kallas injury put payed to that, i suspect wigans home games will allways look like that, very organised but average players doing a job and making other sides look poor, we still need a quality central midfielder because based on that 90 mins, pak and brownhill cant kick a ball straight at the moment.

On paper Fam should be our main striker but the team seems to play better with Taylor. He presses more and the long/direct balls we play are usually down the channels rather than trying to get flick ons etc with Fam which can result in throw ins, corners, mistakes from Taylor pressing. Plus he can drop a little deeper to help the midfield. He may not get the goals and his touch can be bad but as a team we are better with him in. 

Like a lot of people, I'm not knocking FD, I thought he was far from the worst last night, I think the football is better and more cohesive when we play Taylor and Weimann. And after all, our only real strength is attacking football. A real dilemma starting to arise over FD and how we go about things from now on IMO

also Eliasson, in out in out is NOT helping. The guy is class.

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

On paper Fam should be our main striker but the team seems to play better with Taylor. He presses more and the long/direct balls we play are usually down the channels rather than trying to get flick ons etc with Fam which can result in throw ins, corners, mistakes from Taylor pressing. Plus he can drop a little deeper to help the midfield. He may not get the goals and his touch can be bad but as a team we are better with him in. 

The team doesn't play better with Taylor - Fam has something like 16 goals in 40 appearances - Taylor has less than 5.

He's even scored more this season than Taylor despite being out for 6 games!

When you have a player like Fam you have to play to his strength - humping it high with his back to goal is stupid.

He is likely to be the best traditional "Lukaku lite" CF we could ever afford - he is much more effective than most in this division.

2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

The team doesn't play better with Taylor - Fam has something like 16 goals in 40 appearances - Taylor has less than 5.

When you have a player like Fam you have to play to his strength - humping it high with his back to goal is stupid.

He is likely to be the best traditional "Lukaku lite" CF we could ever afford - he is much more effective than most in this division.

I agree he's could be one of the best in the division but that would mean changing our style of play which Johnson doesn't seem to want to do. A 433 formation with Andy and COD / niclas either side would probably help bring out his best? 

3 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

That is not the point fans have been making about Famara for sometime. The team gets more points with Famara out of it. 

What are Famaras strengths? Speed? Strength? Touch? Energy? Leading the line?

Does he fit the football the side appears to be looking to play?

2 hours ago, Three Lions said:

That is not the point fans have been making about Famara for sometime. The team gets more points with Famara out of it. 

What are Famaras strengths? Speed? Strength? Touch? Energy? Leading the line?

Does he fit the football the side appears to be looking to play?

Finishing (or conversion rate) is good, strength and hold-up play.

I think he is well above average for heading (wins most in both boxes).

If fans don't appreciate him I think they follow the wrong team (we have a restricted wage bill) I haven't seen many better CF's this season I would swap him for.

21 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

If fans don't appreciate him I think they follow the wrong team (we have a restricted wage bill) I haven't seen many better CF's this season I would swap him for.

Excellent conversion rate (30%) but you lost the pint you won with his heading and hold up play. 

6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Like a lot of people, I'm not knocking FD, I thought he was far from the worst last night, I think the football is better and more cohesive when we play Taylor and Weimann. And after all, our only real strength is attacking football. A real dilemma starting to arise over FD and how we go about things from now on IMO

also Eliasson, in out in out is NOT helping. The guy is class.

Agree about Eliasson. The point about who to play up front is sometimes your best players aren’t your best pairing. 

35 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Excellent conversion rate (30%) but you lost the pint you won with his heading and hold up play. 

Why not suggest someone who most people on OTIB would agree would be consistently better (who is on less than £20k a week) in the Championship?

Let's use goals per game as a benchmark as this is the point of a CF.

BTW I think I remember Fam winning 3 defensive headers yesterday at corners

18 hours ago, Neo said:

Fam was absolutely useless last night, no question.. he doesn't jump for the ball, his first touch is crap and his work rate, at least v Wigan was slovenly at best. A few ball hold ups and that was it. Thought Pato was also useless. 

Weimann was easily our best player on the pitch and I agree, him and Taylor for me to start every time. We need another fit striker though. Too many players had off days. I can see why people moan about Hunt; only one or two good moments and Kelly had repeatedly poor decision making on his mind for some reason; meaning our left side with him and Pato was largely non existent. 

O'Dowda has to start surely. Thats my 5 pence worth.

8 hours ago, leadman said:

i dont think attack is our problem, its midfield, all 4 were dreadfull last night, why odowda never started was beyond me, i think walsh should have been brought on but kallas injury put payed to that, i suspect wigans home games will allways look like that, very organised but average players doing a job and making other sides look poor, we still need a quality central midfielder because based on that 90 mins, pak and brownhill cant kick a ball straight at the moment.

Midfield has been the problem for many seasons now, the fans can see it,  so why can't MA and LJ?????

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Why not suggest someone who most people on OTIB would agree would be consistently better (who is on less than £20k a week) in the Championship?

Let's use goals per game as a benchmark as this is the point of a CF.

BTW I think I remember Fam winning 3 defensive headers yesterday at corners

You have simply moved the point. You posted that the player was well above average. He is not in all parts of his game and that includes heading. There are forwards at humble Burton who win more headers.

The observation made of Famara in this thread and others goes beyond the benchmark of goals. His holding up play, combination play frequently suffers due to his touch. His movement outside of the box can be poor. His work rate defensively in the press is languid. These are aspects of the modern centre forwards game.

The interesting point about the above is why? It could be physical or mental. Maybe the more menial parts of the game are less sexy than goal scoring so he works less on them. 

Fans would like to see more from him.  

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Finishing (or conversion rate) is good, 

And nobody is doubting it.

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Lot are doubting the rest. Cant see he is noted for his heading. OP makes a good point. Does he really fit Citys play? 

Archived