IGNORED

Match Report: Better never than late - tired City don't turn up

Olé

Sorry it's late but not sure who'll want to read it. Hard to write a convincing story that starts: first half - did nothing. second half - even less. I thought of ways to spice up the worst display this season, then went to the pub in Wigan instead.

Unfortunately that really was the pattern for City away at Wigan, a third game in six days and one where City's thus far impressive and well drilled play came completely and utterly off the rails as they all totally ran out of steam.

Against both Sheffield United and West Brom City adjusted to finish by far the stronger, contriving waves of attack to close the match. Here they re-emerged after half time as favourites and found nothing was left in the tank.

A week ago I congratulated Lee Johnson for his tactical leadership and finally felt able to endorse him as our long term manager. Today I feel he and his team suddenly retreated to the worst of its confused direction in prior seasons.

Having dominated a defensive first half, flat City were left utterly exposed in the second period of play, not only conceding a cheap goal from a deep cross, but looking like the week had caught up with them - bereft of energy and idea.

City, who'd go more compact after the collapse at West Brom, started and finished a poor first half the better side, but whatever instructions they were given at the break were rendered worthless by Wigan's press, eventually reverting to long balls.

In-form City actually started brightly and a quick move put Weimann clean through on goal, unfortunately he was unable to get the ball out of his feet as he approached the penalty area, the back tracking Wigan player able to get back and disrupt.

Minutes later a purposeful move from surprise inclusion Paterson on the left helped setup Diedhiou, who was just offside. Then City broke from deep and a swift Brownhill touch let Weimann put Diedhiou away but his deflected shot was easily claimed.

That was inside ten minutes, and as good as it got for City all night. A forgettable match descended into a low-quality stalemate once Wigan got going, although City could be aggrieved that twice Eliasson was tripped without referee intervention.

Wigan broke at pace several times but rarely threatened, and the first half ended in another City onslaught, a deep Pack cross saw Diedhiou's low shot beaten wide, and in successive corners Kelly twice went close, the second off a Webster knock down. 

Before the interval Joe Garner, a thug with a history of previous against us at Preston and at Ipswich, would chase forward a long ball, but arrive late for Kalas' clearance, putting his boot full into the defenders thigh. The one-sided referee saw only yellow.

Any hope that a recently well organised City would re-emerge to take control of the game they appeared well placed to win, evaporated in short order as Wigan returned  to press and disrupt City, winning an early free kick from which they headed over.

But City never got going again and within five minutes Wigan went ahead in the most feeble of circumstances, a very deep cross from out on the right eluded everyone and was headed down tamely at the far post, trickling past a static Maenappa.

That did little to galvanize a by now strangely tired and disjointed City, and even the introduction of Tuesday man of the match O'Dowda and Watkins had little impact until 20 to go, Weimann making room on the edge of the box to drag a shot wide. 

But in truth this was easily the worst half of City's so far impressive season, and it was summed up a minute later as Watkins and Kalas both rose to challenge for the same high ball, Watkins knocking out star man Kalas, who left the field with Oxygen.

City had been planning to introduce Taylor, a much needed link up man to encourage the team to play the ball to feet where City were going increasingly high and long. Instead Baker came on and City doubled down in launching it over Weimann's head.

It was every bit as inept and disjointed as it sounds, and City were also culpable of poor crosses from both flanks, too often looped way beyond players and curling out of play harmlessly. This was a match lead-legged City were quietly throwing away.

There was more danger of going further behind, and it wasn't until injury time that City piled forward, led by the irrepressible Weimann's runs in behind defenders. First lively work by the stand out O'Dowda would square to Diedhiou to blast wildly over, 

Then deep into time added on a long ball saw at least three City players break the lines for the first time of the night, but Wigan panic quickly subsided as typically the tired away size moved slowly and eventually Diedhiou to head straight at the keeper.

And that was it. An appalling game of football and an even worse half from City that raises questions about the merit of squad rotation and fitness of players after all the exertions on Tuesday. But most of all it represented a retreat to LJ's worst football.

We finished low on confidence, hoofing long balls, unable to get it down and pass at pace as they had in midweek. Pack's passing was off, Kelly's crossing was loose, Paterson was lightweight and Eliasson tucked in so much we never stretched them. 

Maenappa 5

Hunt 5

Kelly 6

Webster 6

Kalas 6

Pack 4

Brownhill 5

Eliasson 5

Paterson 4

Diedhiou 6

Weimann 6

Watkins 5

O'Dowda 7

Baker 5

Think I would dock one point off every player from Pack down in your list, maybe two from Paterson.

Defence mostly coped reasonably well with an average Wigan attack. However the midfield were all, to a man, below par. COD did look a bit livelier but that's clutching at straws.

I don't know what to say about the strikers as they might as well have stayed at home.

What I find amazing...
We didn't sign anyone as cover for an already threadbare midfield that is expected to press for 90 mins.
Walsh hasn't had a look in as he will be needed when Pack and Brownhill wilt under the pressure.
Paterson given a start when time after time he has produced nothing since Man City last year. Trains well mind.
Marley Watkins has made a career as a footballer, his nack of scoring must have taken him a long way as I've seen nothing else.
LJ thinks we have a big squad....... 2 midfielders (that he trusts ) to play a pressing game for 6 months with barely a rest.
Fam ends up playing left wing.

First bad 90 minutes of the season I guess, but really highlights the central weaknesses of the team/squad.

Weimann was poor in my book - lacked snap and missed the chance. Fam was culpable at the end too. Kalas looked liked Baker 2nd half of last season (facially and literally). Eliasson was like last season apart from a couple of decent corners. 

My main concern was we were overrun in midfield and didn't have the wit or energy to create much even when chasing the game. Paterson was poor (and tbf has been for a while) but is becoming a fall guy for other people's performances as well.

Think Cod will play a few games centre mid this season, as we are very light on numbers there.

First class synopsis as always Ole. Having slept on it I’m still utterly bemused by how/why we collectively performed so embarrassingly woefully. Furthermore, why this is a characteristic of us under LJ’s tenure.

Of course players performance levels dip and teams aren’t always consistent, however, what we witnessed last night (and in the past) is much more than either of these. Under LJ there have been many times, and last night was the latest  example, when an unrecognisable team turn up. 

The question I really can not answer is how do a team of competentent footballers suddenly perform so poorly. We have been impressive at times and performed reasonably consistently before last night. Then pretty much every player has a mare and is unable to even do the basics including  communicating, passing and winning tackles, etc.

11 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with the words, I think ratings for Hunt - who constantly had his attempted passes intercepted (one reason Eliasson didn't get into the game) and Paterson are very generous. 

Also for all his running, this is now 2nd match in a row where Wiemann has passed up a glorious opportunity to put us 1 up inside 10 mins.

His rugby tackle at start of the game summed up his performance. Bailey Wright is a league above Hunt.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

What I find amazing...
We didn't sign anyone as cover for an already threadbare midfield that is expected to press for 90 mins.
Walsh hasn't had a look in as he will be needed when Pack and Brownhill wilt under the pressure.
Paterson given a start when time after time he has produced nothing since Man City last year. Trains well mind.
Marley Watkins has made a career as a footballer, his nack of scoring must have taken him a long way as I've seen nothing else.
LJ thinks we have a big squad....... 2 midfielders (that he trusts ) to play a pressing game for 6 months with barely a rest.

First bad 90 minutes of the season I guess, but really highlights the central weaknesses of the team/squad.

Agree with this. I would love to have seen us sign a playmaker along the lines of Barry Bannan at Wednesday.

54 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agree with this. I would love to have seen us sign a playmaker along the lines of Barry Bannan at Wednesday.

I know we tried to sign someone, had a couple of 'irons in the fire' but budget made it difficult. Fair enough if we were trying to improve the squad, but I think we were past that, we had reached a position where we needed bodies. Someone on a par that we could rotate with Pack and Brownhil while Korey gets fit and Walsh builds up. 

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Think I would dock one point off every player from Pack down in your list, maybe two from Paterson.

Defence mostly coped reasonably well with an average Wigan attack. However the midfield were all, to a man, below par. COD did look a bit livelier but that's clutching at straws.

I don't know what to say about the strikers as they might as well have stayed at home.

think at one point diediou was playing left back!

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

First class synopsis as always Ole. Having slept on it I’m still utterly bemused by how/why we collectively performed so embarrassingly woefully. Furthermore, why this is a characteristic of us under LJ’s tenure.

Of course players performance levels dip and teams aren’t always consistent, however, what we witnessed last night (and in the past) is much more than either of these. Under LJ there have been many times, and last night was the latest  example, when an unrecognisable team turn up. 

The question I really can not answer is how do a team of competentent footballers suddenly perform so poorly. We have been impressive at times and performed reasonably consistently before last night. Then pretty much every player has a mare and is unable to even do the basics including  communicating, passing and winning tackles, etc.

synopsis!! glad I didn't have to read through the long version of that shambles.

I don’t get this tired bollox. 

Play Saturday then 2 days rest play Tuesday then 2 days rest play Friday. Doesn’t sound too bad does it. Especially when in 4/5 star hotels being waited on, top class food and being looked after by the physio’s with a bit of light training in between.  All in all it doesn’t sound the worst way to earn your living. 

How the hell this lot would manage playing every game on crap pitches in the way the likes of Gow, Richie did god knows. 

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

What I find amazing...

Spot on there - Any chance you can stick this in an envelope and send it to LJ:)

21 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Play Saturday then 2 days rest play Tuesday then 2 days rest play Friday. Doesn’t sound too bad does it. Especially when in 4/5 star hotels being waited on, top class food and being looked after by the physio’s with a bit of light training in between.  All in all it doesn’t sound the worst way to earn your living. 

How the hell this lot would manage playing every game on crap pitches in the way the likes of Gow, Richie did god knows. 

My heart bleeds for the poor luvvies.

Why are some people trying to excuse such a pathetic performance because of tiredness? WIgan have played just as frequently as us.

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

What I find amazing...

It's not the size of squad that matters, its the quality of squad that is more important.

Based particularly on what I saw last night, we are lacking in both.

22 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

It's not the size of squad that matters, its the quality of squad that is more important.

Based particularly on what I saw last night, we are lacking in both.

While quality is important, do you really think that 2 central midfielders (even top quality ones) would last a full season playing every minute? 
While I would love to see a quality MF come in, they not only cost big money they command big wages so that will have to be longer term aims. As it stands we have 2 MF playing every minute of every game at least until Jan, you are likely to see more poor games until that is sorted.

8 hours ago, Super said:

His rugby tackle at start of the game summed up his performance. Bailey Wright is a league above Hunt.

How Hunt was never booked in the first minute I'll never know, that's why I don't think the referee was one-sided - just too lenient all round.

To be fair and with the benefit of a video replay we were lucky not to concede a penalty in the first half - if it was the other way around we would feel hard done by.

3 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

My heart bleeds for the poor luvvies.

Why are some people trying to excuse such a pathetic performance because of tiredness? WIgan have played just as frequently as us.

Don’t worry about the tired excuse

If we had been at Boro , Derby , Leeds etc last night that performance wouldn’t have happened 

We might have lost but not with a pitiful effort that was last night

Anyone disagree ?

it might have occurred at Rotherham or Millwall or Blackburn

What does that say about the players , and Its happened for 3 years now So should it be ‘what does that say about his squads/ players’ ?

8 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Why are some people trying to excuse such a pathetic performance because of tiredness?

By calling City tired, I certainly wasn't excusing it, however I do think it's important to draw the obvious conclusion.

On an objective basis, this season we've assembled a team that does at least put a shift in and has specifically finished many of our games strongly in the second half. We've had some shockers under LJ, but this year's team has always been up for it. 

So for us to emerge after half time so obviously flat led me to only one logical conclusion last night, which is why I used the word. In prior seasons I would have just assumed it was LJ not motivating or organising the team, but he's done that this season.

There's no doubt we put a real shift in at West Brom (23 chances and a lot of fast movement) - it even occurred to me after that game that there would be a physical impact. Talking to Wigan fans their midweek game vs Hull was very straightforward.

Incidentally - do we think taking the team away  Tue-Fri has had any bearing? It's the only anomaly in preparation for games this season. You could even argue it's like a mini international break (change in routine) in what was already a post-break week. :blink:

11 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

All about percentages at the top level, maybe the other teams had the fitness edge / rest 

Thanks @Olé great summary as usual, and especially as I couldn't get to this one, or watch on sky. I get the impression this had a touch of the Bolton last season about it (a game I did get to and wished I hadn't!) - a trip North on a Friday night where we seemed to think we just had to turn up to bag the three points. That seemed to be the view of many fans too in fairness, and I wasn't sure why; unlike Bolton last season Wigan are no mugs, looks at their league position. I guess a different city side will turn up next Friday, but another evening game at Rotherham to follow is a worry!

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Thanks @Olé great summary as usual, and especially as I couldn't get to this one, or watch on sky. I get the impression this had a touch of the Bolton last season about it (a game I did get to and wished I hadn't!) - a trip North on a Friday night where we seemed to think we just had to turn up to bag the three points. That seemed to be the view of many fans too in fairness, and I wasn't sure why; unlike Bolton last season Wigan are no mugs, looks at their league position. I guess a different city side will turn up next Friday, but another evening game at Rotherham to follow is a worry!

You are spot on....it was Bolton revisited, but actually worse.  Not sure whether it was attitude or something else, but a very poor, lacklustre performance..

Archived