IGNORED

Time for Liam

Dolman Block B

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was probably over dramatic but there were a couple comments that made me post. I am just not sure where it has come from that he can’t be the answer. You say you don’t fancy him on what you have seen which is fair. On the other side, I fancy his potential as a deep playmaker and he isn’t timid defensively. Truth is I don’t think either of us can be sure unless he gets the minutes. 

Of course 

The only thing is that position and in the Championship I’m not sure you can just throw someone in unless you are happy / pretty sure they can do a job 

If it’s one position and  one player  LJ should be able to judge its Walsh 

I don’t get this “lightweight” tag that people put on players. This lad played in Everton’s academy sides for 10 years, if he was at all lightweight then they would have released him at 16.

Walsh cost us a million pounds, and he’s an excellent passer of the ball.

If we play the way LJ professes he wants to play, then this lad has no fear of being classed lightweight, if  we pass and move the ball quickly then the physical side of the game is taken out anyway.

After Friday nights performance I would take anyone who can pass the ball 10 yards to a red shirt, because there weren’t many who showed they could!

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I don’t get this “lightweight” tag that people put on players. This lad played in Everton’s academy sides for 10 years, if he was at all lightweight then they would have released him at 16.

If we play the way LJ professes he wants to play, then this lad has no fear of being classed lightweight, if  we pass and move the ball quickly then the physical side of the game is taken out anyway.

After Friday nights performance I would take anyone who can pass the ball 10 yards to a red shirt, because there weren’t many who showed they could!

Not trying to be rude PB but it’s a tad niave to disregard the physical side of being a championship midfielder. Being lightweight isn’t necessarily about size but also about mobility/ engine and being outmuscled in 50/50s. Smaller players can be fierce and make up for a lack of size with aggression eg. Korey smith. Walsh doesn’t have that yet I don’t think.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think it will be too.  Question is whether it’s a 532 or a 433 imho.

4-5-1 :whistle:

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He’s started games and come on in games and yet to impress me at all personally

Lets hope there’s better to come

But what exactly  has he done to justify a place when he’s had his chances to date ?

I think it could be a case of last man standing. Korey out leaving JB and MP to play every minute of every game until at least Jan.

29 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Including sub appearances he has 24 career games under his belt, that is very little mens football. Reid went on loan for ages as did Bryan until they filled out/got used to it more. Closer to home Brownhill played wide , which in some way eased him into our system before he moved to central roles . He'd played a lot of football before he came and people were writing him off too. As we now have so many wide men, Walsh can't be afforded the same luxury. I'd like to see us play with a 3, maybe Pack sitting and Josh and Walsh either side, thing is LJ doesn't favour that system so a lot of pressure is put on the 2 CM. 
We look weak enough with the 2 we play now, it would be asking a lot for Walsh to step in and make an impact.

22 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Not trying to be rude PB but it’s a tad niave to disregard the physical side of being a championship midfielder. Being lightweight isn’t necessarily about size but also about mobility/ engine and being outmuscled in 50/50s. Smaller players can be fierce and make up for a lack of size with aggression eg. Korey smith. Walsh doesn’t have that yet I don’t think.

I don’t agree mate, the Championshp Is not a division with constant meaty 50/50 challenges in 2018 ( except when it comes to two City players going for a header, which was unbelievable). 

Its a league where you can get the ball down and play, you get a surprising amount of time on the ball nowadays if you have a decent touch and a bit of know how. Which Walsh clearly has.

If he wasn’t a very good footballer then that’s fine, he wouldn’t be able to play at this level. but he is good enough with the ball at Championship level, and his size and strength doesn’t come into it. 

We probably have 4-5 players who aren’t physically very big, but modern football is nowhere near as physical as 10-15 years ago.

35 minutes ago, Cider red said:

4 3 3 with pack; walsh; brownhill; elliason and odowda on the wings with weiman upfront. Bench deidhou he doesn't fit our tempo; good player to come on and score goals. 

I'd be happy to see us start with that. Width and movement up front, should be solid in the middle with a little more creativity with Walsh and Brownhill given a little licence with Pack to cover.

18 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I don’t agree mate, the Championshp Is not a division with constant meaty 50/50 challenges in 2018.

So true.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but after 30 minutes of Friday's tedious game my mind drifted off and I became aware of just how few challenges there are these days. Looking at the clock I couldn't remember a single one of any note in that first half hour.

A few girly shirt pulls, Hunt wrapping his arms around one of their players in the first minute, but actual full blooded challenges? Not one that I remember.

No shots forcing saves either, so basically a completely passionless and lifeless non event.

I'm just glad my days of following Bristol City religiously around the country coincided with a time when the football was (or seemed to be) genuinely exciting, and don't regret those journey's are mostly in the past and I don't end up in places like Wigan at 10 pm ( which I so often did) after a miserably flat game like that.

With tappy tappy football coupled with such a lack of aggression and tackling there's all too often precious little to get excited about at all these days. :fastasleep: 

Modern football sometimes reminds me of 5 -a -side, but without all the goals - lots of passing, movement, and running around, and the players leave the pitch completely knackered, but hardly an exciting spectator sport. 

Walsh looks a talented player to me so really no idea why he's not been given an extended opportunity to show it.

Remembering his home debut I've never seen a player make himself available for a pass so often, with his arm up and calling for the ball, only to be completely ignored time after time.

Was there a clique at the club who either resented his signing or who viewed his enthusiasm for the ball as overly assertive for a young player?

Hopefully not, but it was noticeably a very odd way to treat an exuberant young player looking to impress on his home debut.

Now he's had ample time to settle in to both the club and the squad I'm looking forward to seeing him get another chance.

22 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

This lad was/is seriously rated at Everton and hardly played here. Listen to LJ about hoe good he is it’s hard to understand why he don’t get a chance 

My son-in-law is an avid Everton fan and says they were talking about Walsh bein “the new Leon Osman”. Make of that what you will

20 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I don’t agree mate, the Championshp Is not a division with constant meaty 50/50 challenges in 2018 ( except when it comes to two City players going for a header, which was unbelievable). 

Its a league where you can get the ball down and play, you get a surprising amount of time on the ball nowadays if you have a decent touch and a bit of know how. Which Walsh clearly has.

If he wasn’t a very good footballer then that’s fine, he wouldn’t be able to play at this level. but he is good enough with the ball at Championship level, and his size and strength doesn’t come into it. 

We probably have 4-5 players who aren’t physically very big, but modern football is nowhere near as physical as 10-15 years ago.

I get what you are saying and when in possession i kind of agree with you. But when you haven't got the ball you have to be able to stop the opposition playing. Walsh in a midfield two would be a liability as i feel sides would just steam through the middle of us and he would offer little protection to the back four.

He was shocking when he played last season. That’s why he was dropped and forgotten. 

Hope that he has got it together and LJ is not giving him a confidence boost bigging him up! 

However Mrs Oxo would have been in before Patterson at Wigan if I were picking the team

On 23/09/2018 at 09:33, Dolman Block B said:

Liam Walsh

Lee Johnson keeps on how good this lad is, brilliant on a training session and so on

Brownhill and Patterson not been at the races lately so give this chap a go. 

He must be so frustrated at being on the bench for all the games this season. 

thought wigan was made for him , then kalis got injured

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Walsh looks a talented player to me so really no idea why he's not been given an extended opportunity to show it.

Remembering his home debut I've never seen a player make himself available for a pass so often, with his arm up and calling for the ball, only to be completely ignored time after time.

Was there a clique at the club who either resented his signing or who viewed his enthusiasm for the ball as overly assertive for a young player?

Hopefully not, but it was noticeably a very odd way to treat an exuberant young player looking to impress on his home debut.

Now he's had ample time to settle in to both the club and the squad I'm looking forward to seeing him get another chance.

I was more excited by this signing than any of the others since, I really think he could be a very good player. Reports I heard  from Everton said similar. I wonder if LJ's preference on 2 CM's limits him a little, no real way of easing him into the team like Brownhill was playing wide. We are not the most solid team through the middle with any of out main men in there let alone with a lad who has about 30 first team games to his name, and most of those below Championship level.

4 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Thing is the lad is getting no first team football at all, doesn’t feature in the reserves so surely is not match fit?

He hasn't been injured so the training regime, including practice games, should ensure he's match fit and raring to go.

Archived