IGNORED

Marley Watkins / Stephen Pearson - two of a kind

headhunter

Never liked Pearson and have seen enough of Watkins already to form the view that they are two of a kind.

Can't see what either offer that managers like unless its that they are good pros and do a job. No pace but score the occasional goal to keep them safe [Pearson goal in play off final put Derby in the Prem].

Anyone else feel the same?

12 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Never liked Pearson and have seen enough of Watkins already to form the view that they are two of a kind.

Can't see what either offer that managers like unless its that they are good pros and do a job. No pace but score the occasional goal to keep them safe [Pearson goal in play off final put Derby in the Prem].

No

This is a ridiculous thread, Pearson scored 3 goals in 36 appearances, Watkins already has 2.

if fans can only find similarities because  both players were tall and played in Midfield we are doomed.

Pearson only played well in Scotland he was average - Watkins has much better record in the English leagues and is taking a little time to settle - big deal.

I only saw Pearson play a few times, so can't really comment on the comparison although I've heard a few people make it. Whilst I can see your point that he hasn't exactly set the world alight in the seven games he's been involved in, I don't think we can write him off just yet.

Can we at least give him until xmas before people decide he "offers nothing"? At present he's scored a winning goal vs Sheff Utd, the goal to put us 2-1 up vs Blackburn and been involved in our 4 wins. If he can keep that scoring record up and continues to contribute to the team by putting in 100% I'd be more than happy.

3 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Unbelievable , are you for real ?

I don't think think u have taken this in the spirit it was intended.......I have no problem with MW, I was referring to an all round night of bad luck and screw ups. His collison was obvious;y just clumsy.  Lighten Up?

Watkins is thinking that he is an utter clutz who went 50/50 with his own Center back facing the wrong Way like a headless chicken. LJ and the coaching team are thinking the same thing. I know I am. But hey he’s commited. Sigh. 

Whats the latest with Kalas? A very big blow if we can’t get him back soon!!

As someone's already said, Pearson scored the winner away at a Southampton side that hadn't lost at home for a calendar year.

A match also notable for Maynard's baffling disallowed goal and Carey's consummate job on that sag reject.

I thought Pearson was a decent player. Marley Watkins is a completely different type of player so I can't see where the comparison is except they both have two arms, two legs and a head!

Binning both just seems a tad ridiculous to be honest

Pearson was frustrating but he had his strengths. Felt he had a football brain but not the skill or athleticity to go with it. I don’t see  any similarity with Watkins who looks more athletic and stronger. What they have in common is that they are unfortunate enough to be scapegoats for small minded fans. 

13 hours ago, headhunter said:

No, Watkins adds grit to the midfield and can score, whats not to like? Who do you think we are going to sign, Ronaldo?

In comparison with some of the duff players who we had under MacInnes, Pearson was actually one of the better players. Not the fastest, not the strongest, but had a knack of getting the odd goal here and there. And a ratio of 1 goal per 10 games is not going to set the world alight, it's no worse than any of our current midfield, particularly Korey, who can't score in the league even after 3 years at the club. 

Watkins is a bit of an enigma. Tall like Pearson, plays wide but is not obviously a winger or a crosser of the ball. Not a target man either. Has 2 goals already this season, and based on minutes played per goal is probably not far behind Weimann or Diedhiou. I would rather him play than Paterson right now, but that's probably a case of damning with faint praise, given Paterson's recent performances.

Archived