IGNORED

Bristol City Injured XI....nearly

And Its Smith

Not a bad line up we are forming on the treatment table. 

Fielding

Pisano  Wright Kalas ????

Adelukan Smith Hegeler ???

Eisa ????

Just three players to go......is it bad luck or is it more than that?  

When a club continues to get injuries (Arsenal good example from recent times) I think it is more than just bad luck.  Granted, some of the above is bad luck but are they all?  

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Eisa ????

When a club continues to get injuries (Arsenal good example from recent times) I think it is more than just bad luck.  Granted, some of the above is bad luck but are they all?  

Almost our cup team, just as well no further cup games until January!

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Eisa ????

My theory is that players, athletes today are so finely tuned that , like racehorses , they have become fragile.

The players before the 1980's used to play more matches , on heavier pitches and didn't seem to have the niggling injuries .

It was broken leg or hamstrings that kept them out . 

The pace , admittedly, was a bit slower but you never heard complaints of ' tiredness ' back then. 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

My theory is that players, athletes today are so finely tuned that , like racehorses , they have become fragile.

The players before the 1980's used to play more matches , on heavier pitches and didn't seem to have the niggling injuries .

The pace , admittedly, was a bit slower but you never heard complaints of ' tiredness ' back then. 

I agree with this but do every club have as many injuries as we have over the last two years?  As far as I know, the answer is no.  

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

And they used to play two games in 2 days twice a season. Imagine our lot doing that.

We started the season with a squad of 26, including 3 keepers.

GK - Fielding, O'Leary, Maenpaa.

FB- Kelly, Pisano, Hunt, Da Silva

CB- Wright, Baker, Webster, Hegeler, Kalas

CMF - Pack, Smith, Brownhill, Walsh, Morrell

WMF - Paterson, O'Dowda,Watkins, Eliasson, Adelakun

STR - Taylor, Diedhiou, Weimann, Eisa

Down to 18,  so by my reckoning we can now only just fill the matchday 18 from the original squad; one more injury or suspension and we're down to unknown youngsters - those few who aren't out on loan that is.

Most of these are long term injuries. Korey out until the Spring, Adelakun until after Christmas, Pisano, Kalas and Fielding not back until at least November.

Few updates on Wright and Hegeler, but at least EIsa ( '4-6 weeks') should be back in contention fairly soon.

18 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

And they used to play two games in 2 days twice a season. Imagine our lot doing that.

Three games in four days at Easter! And in the pre motorway era, most teams travelled by train to away games.

So Easter 1960 was:-

Good Friday away at Ipswich won 3-1

Saturday home v Huddersfield lost 2-3

Easter Monday home v Ipswich won 5-1

Relegated at end of season

How about 1965?

16 Apr away Carlisle draw 1-1

19 Apr away Shrewsbury won 5-1

20 Apr home Shrewsbury won 3-0

24 Apr home Oldham won 2-0

Promoted on goal average.

21 Dec away Liverpool lost 3-4

25 Dec home Derby County won 2-1

26 Dec away Derby C. lost 2-5

28 Dec home Middlesboro draw 0-0 (As Boro would have had the same schedule of games, I suspect both sides were knackered)

3 Jan FA Cup away v Accrington Stanley 2-2

7 Jan Replay home v Accrington S won 3-1

11 Jan away Leyton Orient lost 0-4

And finally when I was a kid, I played football every day of the Summer six week school holidays, with a minimum of four hours per day. Modern wimps!!

I seem to remember played away at Plymouth on Christmas Day, lost 0-6 and it was widely rumoured that goalkeeper Tony Cook was drunk. Next day return fixture, on Boxing Day winning 7-0.

Talking of the days when there was always a full programme of matches on Christmas Day, a Portsmouth player ( Jimmy Dickinson, I think) was very religious and had it written in to his contract that he would not be required to play on Christmas Day.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Troy Deeney said he has been playing with broken bones in his foot so not all of em.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Varying factors, pace and intensity is much higher and training is probably more intense too.

Boots are lighter and thinner meaning getting caught on the top of the foot / kicking someones studs etc does more damage and in turn will cause more niggles.

I think it turned out at Arsenal that there was a pattern and common muscular injuries were happening and re-occuring.

Do we have an underlying problem? Hard to tell, I don't know the ins and outs of the injuries for each player but for example Kalas is just bad luck.

I remember in our double season we had hardly any injuries? Bit of luck maybe? Probably also easier mentally to go through the pain barrier when everything's going that well?

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Three games in four days at Easter! And in the pre motorway era, most teams travelled by train to away games.

How about 1965?

28 Dec home Middlesboro draw 0-0 (As Boro would have had the same schedule of games, I suspect both sides were knackered)

And finally when I was a kid, I played football every day of the Summer six week school holidays, with a minimum of four hours per day. Modern wimps!!

And back then there was only one sub and the word rotation had never been used in relation to football.

Bunch of whingers these days ?

14 minutes ago, TBW said:

NBA basketball players play an average of 3-4 games per week, totalling 82 games in a season - Not including playoffs which are 4 best-of-7 rounds.

Maybe our strength and conditioning coaches are just a bit shit?

Cannot compare the two sports.  Completely different.

One is non-contact for a start and basketball players rarely get into a sprint.  

I recall a discussion by BCFC, i think during the GJ days, that was concerning this very topic. The outcome was that the previous season they had done things in a way in training etc that aided and abetted niggling injuries. They rectified this, somehow, and the injury table was less busy. 

I also blame football boots which is all about fashion and not about protection; look at all the metatarsal injuries in recent times. Also when youngsters grow up these days they do not eat their weetabix, shredded wheat or porridge; instead they have coco pops, frosties and sugar coated munster men.. all hopelessly worse than useless for calcium construction.

54 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I recall a discussion by BCFC, i think during the GJ days, that was concerning this very topic. The outcome was that the previous season they had done things in a way in training etc that aided and abetted niggling injuries. They rectified this, somehow, and the injury table was less busy. 

I also blame football boots which is all about fashion and not about protection; look at all the metatarsal injuries in recent times. Also when youngsters grow up these days they do not eat their weetabix, shredded wheat or porridge; instead they have coco pops, frosties and sugar coated munster men.. all hopelessly worse than useless for calcium construction.

Tell them about the honey mummy .

10 operations????

Last season we got regular updates from the Head Physio (whose name i have forgotten already Steve somebody)

and i think he told us that in our squad of players we had accumulated 10 (maybe 11) operations. We must be at least

half way to that figure already this season. That certainly affected results in the second half of last season because

those that were still playing were running on empty. Have some sympathy please for LJ it isn,t easy to mould a winning

team when you have to keep changing it due to serious injuries.

What was the real reason the said Physio left us?  did he feel overworked or was there some sinister reason for it?

8 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Basketball isn't a non contact sport. 

However much shorter games, rolling subs and timeouts mean that the intensity is very different.

The intensity of basketball is way higher. In a football match the average time the ball is on the pitch is under 65 minutes, a basketball game is 48 minutes of ball-in-play time. And in football sharing the ball between 22 players means much less time on the ball than 10 basketball players. 

Basketball players also play both offence and defence. In football you have set areas of the pitch effectively.

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

Cannot compare the two sports.  Completely different.

One is non-contact for a start and basketball players rarely get into a sprint.  

Both are the same and if anything basketball hs more contact.

And if you think basketball players don't sprint you don't pay attention much. They probably get into an outright sprint more times per game than a football player.

1 hour ago, TBW said:

The intensity of basketball is way higher. In a football match the average time the ball is on the pitch is under 65 minutes, a basketball game is 48 minutes of ball-in-play time. And in football sharing the ball between 22 players means much less time on the ball than 10 basketball players. 

Basketball players also play both offence and defence. In football you have set areas of the pitch effectively.

Both are the same and if anything basketball hs more contact.

And if you think basketball players don't sprint you don't pay attention much. They probably get into an outright sprint more times per game than a football player.

Disagree but all about opinions I guess. 

On 24/09/2018 at 12:05, cidered abroad said:

How about 1965?

And you tell the young people that today, and they won't believe you

One article has the rate of injury at on average a minimum of 9 injuries per 1000 minutes of football - which is around where we are, perhaps we are a little higher.

So about one a game - of different levels from a knock to a longer term strain or break.

Looking at injury lists in the Championship we seem to have the most out of the first team, but Leeds and Norwich aren’t far behind with 7 or so injuries and plenty with 4 or 5. 

Archived