IGNORED

Buying a car, helpful advice required.

Tipps69

I’m going to be looking at getting a new car soon, not brand spanking new but one that is at most a year old with a budget of £20k, maybe a little more if something really nice appears.

I’ve been toying with the idea of an SUV but don’t particularly need one or the other idea was something with a bit more ‘umph’, BMW series 3 & up or a Mercedes or Audi etc.

I’ve had a look online at dealers websites for more or less all the different makes of vehicles & there are motors within my price range & that fit what I’m looking for but I have a few doubts about the way I’m doing things.

It now seems like it is very easy to just spend £20k+ online, with just a click of a button but that feels like a massive risk to me (buying unseen & not being sure of things), so should I follow my instinct & actually visit the showrooms to see these vehicles properly? Should I purchase from a main dealer & should I be looking to haggle the price down (I’ll be buying outright) or should I go to a reputable 2nd hand dealer that deal with all different makes rather than a specific make?

It’s obviously a big purchase (well it is for me anyway) & I don’t want to make a bad decision & end up getting ripped off or ending up with something that’s more likely to end up back in the garage requiring constant repairs. I’ve done online searches for reviews of specific cars that interest me & that’s kind of why I’ve decided against the SUV side of things because all of the reviews had some downside & for the price, I’m after as much hassle free driving as is possible.

So, where’s advisable to go? Should I be able to cut a deal? And is there any other advice you can give? It’s been a while since I bought a new car.

If you're spending that kind of cash you want a warranty so a dealer is sensible - not necessarily a main dealer but one big enough that it will be around for the whole warranty period and that you will have some recourse with.

You should test drive a car at least of the same model before you part with cash, you might hate it for some obscure reason.  Once you've done that, you can pretty much buy from anywhere reputable particularly if it's used approved.  I'd go nationwide to save a couple of grand for the right car, it's only a day and a train ticket and some of them will deliver if you ask.  Usually you only need to pay a deposit to hold the car and pay the balance when you see it.  At 1 year old it should be immaculate.

Do make sure you get the car checked for outstanding finance - the dealer may do this for you and as long as it's from a proper source i.e. credit reference agency like Experian or someone you should be ok.  Also be aware that if you see an outstanding price it's probably category D.  This should be part of the checking as well.

I've put about 90k miles on a golf tdi I bought 6 months old over the last five years, and I've had not a single problem with it ever.  Highly recommended - I'm sure most on the same platform (a3, leon, octavia etc) are similarly good.  I keep thinking about getting a new car but I'd only end up picking a newer golf so I'm not going to bother until the next generation of electric cars arrive.

Yep, agree with the above. Go and test drive a few that you like, and if you can't get the deal you want, go away and search online, if only to find THE ONE, and then go to the showroom wherever that is. Actually most main dealers will bring the car over to your local dealership anyway....

Good time to buy one actually, especially with the new 68 plates just coming out - they want to shift their older stock now. 

ALWAYS haggle. I bought a 64 plate Focus Titanium Navigator 2 years ago (2 years old at the time), got £1k off the screen price by haggling with the price paid (Which was cash - pre arranged bank loan) and by getting about £500 extra on my old Focus). 

53 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I’m even tempted now by the new Nissan Leaf, the100% electric car.

I’m waiting for a house to sell after the recent passing of my Mum, so it could be a while before I get the necessary funds, has anyone had a proper look into this vehicle?

Any views on it?

The leaf is a great car but the current range is only 110 miles or so and that’s not counting hills, using the heater etc - it all effects the range. Bristol is a hilly old place (in a valley essentially) so really depends on where you live and what you where you’ll drive it around.  As a hybrid driver myself (Passat GTE Esate) range anxiety is a real thing ?

The newer leaf is due to have range of 250 apparently which will be a game changer but as yet no release date.  If you do go down the EV route look up about getting a gov grant for a charger at home and then consider signing up for Polar Plus membership which is £7:50 a month and gets you a whole heap of free chargers over the UK - like the one over the create centre, one by mud dock cafe and so forth.. 

43 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The leaf is a great car but the current range is only 110 miles or so and that’s not counting hills, using the heater etc - it all effects the range. Bristol is a hilly old place (in a valley essentially) so really depends on where you live and what you where you’ll drive it around.  As a hybrid driver myself (Passat GTE Esate) range anxiety is a real thing ?

The newer leaf is due to have range of 250 apparently which will be a game changer but as yet no release date.  If you do go down the EV route look up about getting a gov grant for a charger at home and then consider signing up for Polar Plus membership which is £7:50 a month and gets you a whole heap of free chargers over the UK - like the one over the create centre, one by mud dock cafe and so forth.. 

And get a couple of PV panels installed on your roof so you can charge it for free. I know a few people down here where charging points are few and far between who`ve done this and swear by it.

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And get a couple of PV panels installed on your roof so you can charge it for free. I know a few people down here where charging points are few and far between who`ve done this and swear by it.

Yeah it wildly varies - I travel all over country (plug in hybrids essentially are just for paying less company car tax) and it’s surprising in some cities how few chargers there are - in poole last week and only 2-3 central. Very lucky in Bristol that we have plenty mainly thanks to source west. I’m also lucky that the TF have one running off a 50Kv PV install! - that and Portishead Sainsburys having a free Pod point. When commuting between Bristol and Portishead it’s nearly always on leccy. Use the petrol for long distance stuff, use the combined GTE mode for 220bhp sleeper mode ?

14 hours ago, Tomarse said:

So ideally, costs should be significantly reduced on motoring as we currently know it? Petrol, tax & repairs?

I take it the vehicles will still need servicing? What about MOT’s? Is insurance any cheaper or does it not affect that? 

How reliable are the vehicles, how long should a battery last (as in before they need replacing) & I assume that isn’t a cheap thing?

And this maybe the stupidest question of all but is it viable that if / when a better battery is developed in a few years time (it’s bound to happen), would it be viable to just swap that battery over to give your vehicle an upgrade or is it a case of needing to upgrade the whole vehicle to upgrade performance?

54 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Let’s hope Apple don’t get involved and update the software...........no one will be going far..............

That’s kind of my concern. If I leave it plugged in for too long will it knacker the battery etc?

I just don’t know enough about technology & how well things are developing but obviously it’s kind of pointless spending £20k+ on a vehicle that solely runs on petrol / diesel if Electric is going to be taking over things very soon because the idea of this purchase is to last me for years to come, I don’t hope to have to replace it in like 5 years time.

So is an EV reliable enough now to be able to invest now?

I work for Nissan in the warranty department and deal with the main EV Lib dealer in Gateshead. They are pretty bullet proof really. Suprisingly quite due to instant power to the wheels and the new one has some fancy technology like e-peddle (only one peddle, you lift off to brake like a dodgem).

As with all emerging tech there are some teething problems and it is quite an expensive purchase to begin with. You won’t be able to replace old battery for a new one unless Nissan release a direct upgrade, but they wouldn’t really do that from a sales point of view as no one would buy a new car.

Your battery has an 8 year gradual capacity loss warranty, but you don’t ‘own’ the battery but lease it. I’m not sure sure around that as I’m more technical than sales!

On 26/09/2018 at 11:06, Tipps69 said:

So ideally, costs should be significantly reduced on motoring as we currently know it? Petrol, tax & repairs?

I take it the vehicles will still need servicing? What about MOT’s? Is insurance any cheaper or does it not affect that? 

How reliable are the vehicles, how long should a battery last (as in before they need replacing) & I assume that isn’t a cheap thing?

And this maybe the stupidest question of all but is it viable that if / when a better battery is developed in a few years time (it’s bound to happen), would it be viable to just swap that battery over to give your vehicle an upgrade or is it a case of needing to upgrade the whole vehicle to upgrade performance?

Sorry have been out of the office so not had time to repair.

I wouldn't say it will be all roses with regards to costs - yes electricity runs out at less per mile than petrol (typicallly 4p a mile as opposed to 11-15p a mile on petrol/diesel). 

Everything other than the fact it is electric still applies with regards to servicing etc - its still got tyres, breaks.  It doesn't need oil etc but if it has a regenerative break system (it will have) then you are likely to go through brake pads a bit more frequently. 

Because its a relatively new thing battery life is a bit of an unknown but all batteries will degrade over time, they are not immortal ! If you read the stuff on how Tesla likes to control everything with regards to servicing, parts and so forth they can dictate prices etc - I don't think Nissan and others are like that however. 

Replacing batteries is probably not a feesable thing just yet but there are people out there rebuilding Teslas from wrecked ones - its not just a single battery though they are in the sills, under the seats etc - everywhere for equal weight distribution in some cases. 

I would defo consider an EV, but maybe look at leasing a new one and replacing every 3 years instead of dropping 20k on one - I think the depreciation will be pretty brutal at this stage.  Can't wait to see how much the leased GTE (£45k list price) gets offered to us at the end of 3 years to judge. 

On 26/09/2018 at 12:51, Tipps69 said:

That’s kind of my concern. If I leave it plugged in for too long will it knacker the battery etc?

I just don’t know enough about technology & how well things are developing but obviously it’s kind of pointless spending £20k+ on a vehicle that solely runs on petrol / diesel if Electric is going to be taking over things very soon because the idea of this purchase is to last me for years to come, I don’t hope to have to replace it in like 5 years time.

So is an EV reliable enough now to be able to invest now?

Software is a part of all cars - in a way an EV is a much simplier device - you have no gear box, no clutch.  When you put your foot down the motor makes the car go faster etc.   Hybrids like mine are probably the ones that'll go wrong in later life as essentially you've got two engines on the go. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

You can get a fair bit of nicked lead in one too or so I`ve heard.:fear:

What exactly are you accusing me of ...........actually yes you can !

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Thanks for that advice Tone, I was kind of looking for something with a bit more comfort, at least backseats for Inca. ?

Doggie blankets work just fine 

On 25/09/2018 at 20:04, Tipps69 said:

I’m even tempted now by the new Nissan Leaf, the100% electric car.

I’m waiting for a house to sell after the recent passing of my Mum, so it could be a while before I get the necessary funds, has anyone had a proper look into this vehicle?

Any views on it?

I would say have a look at the Toyota CHR Hybrid. They are self charging hybrids.

Do away with any idea of anything that requires a charge point, like the Leaf. 

The infrastructure is not really there still in the UK.

I’m getting a CHR in the next 6-9 months when my current Auris Touring Sports is due renewal with my work. I will also say that my current vehicle is really good if you want a practicable estate vehicle.

10 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I would say have a look at the Toyota CHR Hybrid. They are self charging hybrids.

Do away with any idea of anything that requires a charge point, like the Leaf. 

The infrastructure is not really there still in the UK.

I’m getting a CHR in the next 6-9 months when my current Auris Touring Sports is due renewal with my work. I will also say that my current vehicle is really good if you want a practicable estate vehicle.

Cheers mate, I don’t really need anything for it’s practical size, I broke my back 3 & half years ago & this vehicle is likely to be one that the idea is for it to last me a fair few years & because of the back issues, I’m tempted by something that isn’t so low down & a bit easier on my back.

The advantage of something with a bit of size (SUV etc) would be that my Rottweiler could go in the boot (as such) rather than on the back seats but that’s not a major thing either way.

In terms of boot space, it’s not always SUV’s that come out on top. The Auris Touring Sport (estate) has a fair size boot and performs well. Not low down and comfortable to drive ??

CHR offers a more advanced driving position, but the shape of the car does compromise some boot space.

Hope that helps.

48 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

In terms of boot space, it’s not always SUV’s that come out on top. The Auris Touring Sport (estate) has a fair size boot and performs well. Not low down and comfortable to drive ??

CHR offers a more advanced driving position, but the shape of the car does compromise some boot space.

Hope that helps.

I think the issue I have, is that my heart isn’t set on one particular make or type of vehicle & I’m kind of spoiled for choice.

I want something with a bit of luxury (compared to what I tend to drive, currently have a 14 reg Fiesta which I’ve had for 3 years), so it has a few bells & whistles but then I check the reviews & there is always something that puts a bit of doubt in my head (I was siding with the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross) so I’m now just hoping something will catch my eye.

As long as it’s not a Qashqai! Plentiful riddled with faults. Walk into a Nissan dealer and most days the workshop is full of them needing repairs, quite commonly expensive ones.

Not saying they are all like that, but they seem to be problematic. That’s what all the guys at the dealers I speak to say as well, so not so much ‘just’ my opinion.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

As long as it’s not a Qashqai! Plentiful riddled with faults. Walk into a Nissan dealer and most days the workshop is full of them needing repairs, quite commonly expensive ones.

Not saying they are all like that, but they seem to be problematic. That’s what all the guys at the dealers I speak to say as well, so not so much ‘just’ my opinion.

Yeah, I had a little look at them & they are highly rated although the reviews do say that they are very unreliable, something like 8/10 get taken back in for repair apparently & like I said previously, there seems to be something about every vehicle that has a downside that is enough to deter me from looking closer into getting one.

I had a little nose at the CH-R, looks like a nice motor & something I will have a further look in to.

SUV-wise avoid the SEATs - they seem OK at first but online is littered with users complaints and problems with things going wrong.

check what trade in you can get for your old car (scrappage) and look on the carwow app. it can get you an extra £2-3-4K off the listed price of new cars, which makes the deal much better.

For your budget you can look at the VW SUV's or the Skoda one - good reviews, but a bit chunky looking for me.

and yes, test drive 'em

8 hours ago, Antman said:

SUV-wise avoid the SEATs - they seem OK at first but online is littered with users complaints and problems with things going wrong.

check what trade in you can get for your old car (scrappage) and look on the carwow app. it can get you an extra £2-3-4K off the listed price of new cars, which makes the deal much better.

For your budget you can look at the VW SUV's or the Skoda one - good reviews, but a bit chunky looking for me.

and yes, test drive 'em

It’s quite possible my current car will be going to my daughter as her first car unless someone offers me a very good deal as part exchange, it certainly isn’t anywhere near ready for scrapping, it’s in very very good condition.

Thanks for the heads up with regards to the Seat’s, it means I can cross them off my very long list, I’m now really hoping that something really catches my attention because at this rate it’ll take me 6 months to test drive all the possibles on my list.

i share your pain! Waited and waited for a ‘reasonably priced’ SUV hybrid or electric and they just aren’t appearing. Also was a bit worried the tech you buy today would be out-dated tomorrow and also concerned over lack of infrastructure/ recharge times/range limitations. Was going for the Volvo XC40 but a month or so ago no official prices released for the hybrid and the dealers best guess was 40k plus which is far more than I was prepared to spend. Think a decent spec soon-to-be-released Honda CR-V is going to be in similar price territory. BMW i was the closest I came to going electric but was a bit too much of a compromise on the SUV capabilities for me.

Ended up up with a non-pc diesel... and it’s a belter. The Tiguan r-line, new but with well in excess of 20% off.. Have a look on you tube and a chap under the name bishbashbosh. He does a great review. Partner went for the VW T Roc with an amazing 1 litre petrol engine which, unbelievably, feels nearly as powerful as the diesel and also returns approaching 50mpg ( which is only 5 or so mpg less than mine on average). 

Having gone through many SUV brands Honda, Land Rover, Toyota ... as the you tube bloke says ‘I just like the way VW do things’. (apart from the emissions scandal)... this is my second Tiguan and the partner’s had three near faultless ones previously.. She just went for the T Roc to downsize a bit.

I’m going to give it another 4-5 years before going electric by which time the infrastructure and cars should be sorted.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

I’m going to give it another 4-5 years before going electric by which time the infrastructure and cars should be sorted.

No chance of that I'd suggest, particularly not under the current government.

Unless you really want a hybrid/electric @Tipps69 then I would still go for a diesel. All post 2012 models are actually very clean and low tax. My 2 litre sportback Audi A3 which has plenty of oomph is £20 a year to tax and very economical on fuel. 

I know a couple of local used car dealers and in terms of SUVs they'd recommend you go for the Volvo XC-90 or an Audi Q3 or Q5. You'd get one within your budget and the build quality sets them apart from the rest. Make sure you test drive an SUV first to check you like the higher driving position. I have a Qashqai as well and personally love it, and it will be easier on your back. I had loads of issues with my Qashqai (only three years old) but on reflection I don't think it was the car's fault but more to do with the dealer (Wessex at Cribbs) and so I wouldn't put you off getting one. However, if I had your budget when I bought that and knowing what I do now by driving my A3, I'd get an Audi Q5 all day long!  But one of the independent dealers I know told me a few months ago (and he loves Audi's) that the XC-90 is the best SUV money can buy so take your pick really....

12 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

i share your pain! Waited and waited for a ‘reasonably priced’ SUV hybrid or electric and they just aren’t appearing. Also was a bit worried the tech you buy today would be out-dated tomorrow and also concerned over lack of infrastructure/ recharge times/range limitations. Was going for the Volvo XC40 but a month or so ago no official prices released for the hybrid and the dealers best guess was 40k plus which is far more than I was prepared to spend. Think a decent spec soon-to-be-released Honda CR-V is going to be in similar price territory. BMW i was the closest I came to going electric but was a bit too much of a compromise on the SUV capabilities for me.

Ended up up with a non-pc diesel... and it’s a belter. The Tiguan r-line, new but with well in excess of 20% off.. Have a look on you tube and a chap under the name bishbashbosh. He does a great review. Partner went for the VW T Roc with an amazing 1 litre petrol engine which, unbelievably, feels nearly as powerful as the diesel and also returns approaching 50mpg ( which is only 5 or so mpg less than mine on average). 

Having gone through many SUV brands Honda, Land Rover, Toyota ... as the you tube bloke says ‘I just like the way VW do things’. (apart from the emissions scandal)... this is my second Tiguan and the partner’s had three near faultless ones previously.. She just went for the T Roc to downsize a bit.

we went with the petrol tiguan - its great.

also got nearly 25% off the price with an amazing scrappage price on our old diesel ford plus the carwow app and haggling!

32 minutes ago, Antman said:

we went with the petrol tiguan - its great.

also got nearly 25% off the price with an amazing scrappage price on our old diesel ford plus the carwow app and haggling!

Was that the r-line? 

Id have gone for the petrol if they’d done a 1.4/1.5 version but it seemed only available as a 2.0 which was a bit heavy on fuel. 

Well done on near 25% off, thought I’d got a great deal seems you got even better!!!

Archived