IGNORED

"The Real Football Fan Show"

Olé

Someone just pointed out to me that Channel 4 has a TV programme running at the moment called "The Real Football Fan Show".

I was intrigued by how real it was, but it seems to be the Arsenal TV lot and an assortment of other barely comprehensible Londoners in replica shirts who "support" teams 200 miles away. 

The programme bills itself as "about the Premiership", and from what I can see it is proudly filmed in front of rows of half and half scarves. I thought it was an attempt at parody, but it's not.

I just watched a 20 second clip and that was enough for me. Lots of people who've never set foot in a football stadium having "bare banter" about matches they inevitably saw on television.

It shouldn't bother me, but it irritates me that TV channels and sponsors are so desperate to associate with this type of "fan". It's not real football fan culture, and can never be allowed to be.

I assume, sadly, that when all is said and done, sportswear brands and others would rather have their youth demographic staring at TV / Youtube, than ever setting foot in a football ground. 

This is the new "cool".  It's the way the game is going: the red button EFL stuff is another concession to it. Football is an entertainment channel and allegiance is borne out of digital content.

In a generation's time, young people in our towns and cities will watch and identify with big clubs based on these cretinous Youtube personalities - rather than any loyalty to their local team. 

Is there any chance we can stop this concerted media effort to make it "cool" and "real" to be a plastic football fan, just because some edgy, streetwise Youtubers are getting away with it??

Archived