IGNORED

Deal to buy Wembley is WITHDRAWN

Up The City!

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The new Wembley is a soulless experience in a crap area with lousy transport links and no redeeming features whatsoever. When we went to the last LDV I hated every minute of the day apart from the game itself and, as @Nogbad the Bad said, I decided there and then that it would be my last visit unless we got to a playoff final (even then I would get a hotel nearby and get the tube to the match).

The experience has been so devalued in recent years anyway - is it only about ten clubs that haven`t now played there in something or other - and if I ever go there again it will be too soon. I have no desire to be robbed blind for food, drink, parking and all the other crap and certainly no wish to spend endless hours in traffic getting to and rom the bloody place.

When I think what it was like when we played Bolton & Mansfield it makes me so angry to see what it`s become.

I'm not sure I share the same view. Getting to and from I've never had a problem. I've always made my way to Paddington by various means,I then got the train in, no problems at all. Same for after the game. Never found waiting a huge issue. 

Always had an absolute blast of a time in silverspoons before the games. Yes I agree the prices are ridiculous but then that's London for you and it's not very often we go there so I can live with that as a one off.

For a cup final, for a play off final there isn't anywhere better to play it than at one of the most iconic stadiums in the world. Nothing quite excites more than a big game at Wembley.

However I did enjoy our games at the Millennium, I felt that stadium is a bit more intimidating than Wembley and obviously more convenient as it's closer.

For England games I totally agree with you, I've been to a few and I've hated it. Full of people who have never been to a football game in their life. I would much rather games were played in stadiums like Leicester where the majority of fans would be Leicester City season ticket holders. You create a club atmosphere by playing in club stadiums. Imagine if England ever played at Ashton Gate? It would be one hell of an atmosphere.

But still I don't think it sits comfortably with me that we are selling off our national stadium, especially considering it's less than we paid. As others have said I very much doubt the money will be spent on what is promised. When you spread that money out across the whole country then it's debateable what impact that will have.

14 hours ago, where's the joy said:

WEMBLEY to be the new home of Fulham, while Craven Cottage becomes a high end housing complex?

the FA are a disgrace, this is a dreadful decision

I can't see Fulham fans being happy about that! It would be a terrible move for the club. They'd lose so much money on a weekly basis, I can't see them filling the stadium every week. What would happen if they got relegated? :death:

57 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I can't see Fulham fans being happy about that! It would be a terrible move for the club. They'd lose so much money on a weekly basis, I can't see them filling the stadium every week. What would happen if they got relegated? :death:

It will happen. Right now they are saying it won't but it will.

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The new Wembley is a soulless experience in a crap area with lousy transport links and no redeeming features whatsoever. When we went to the last LDV I hated every minute of the day apart from the game itself and, as @Nogbad the Bad said, I decided there and then that it would be my last visit unless we got to a playoff final (even then I would get a hotel nearby and get the tube to the match).

The experience has been so devalued in recent years anyway - is it only about ten clubs that haven`t now played there in something or other - and if I ever go there again it will be too soon. I have no desire to be robbed blind for food, drink, parking and all the other crap and certainly no wish to spend endless hours in traffic getting to and rom the bloody place.

When I think what it was like when we played Bolton & Mansfield it makes me so angry to see what it`s become.

Spot on and well said. Glad it's being sold and visiting it is a nightmare experience.

On 26/09/2018 at 11:10, Nogbad the Bad said:

I well remember buying my house for 58k and 2 years later it was only valued at 41k.

That was early 90's though.

As for the New Wembley, couldn't care less, going there is a crappy experience and after Hull I decided I wouldn't be going there again.

If selling it leads to at least some internationals being played around the country then I'm all for it.

Be nice to think so but I suspect part of the steal, sorry deal is that all internationals are played there.

I will never go there again.

23 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The new Wembley is a soulless experience in a crap area with lousy transport links and no redeeming features whatsoever.

The original stadium was built in the early 1920's, that site was chosen because it was an unwanted piece of wast ground. A few locals used it for walking their dogs, (ring any bells?), but that was all.

Wembley has a bit of a strange history: originally countryside near the town of London it became a place of recreation. Then an ambitious railway bigwig decided to buy the place and tried to build a tower bigger than the Eiffel in Paris there. Work began on the foundations but the structure never got very far before the money ran out. When the land was used for national exhibitions they decided to build the original stadium (and had to dig up the concrete!).

Wembley Mark I arrived and held sway until the FA stepped in to buy the site. Once they have signed the deal, they have to come up with the cash to pay off the loan on it. Hence we find ourselves with the sport owning the stadium but needing the readies. Enter a man with lots more cash than the suits at the FA can dream of and the deal seems a certainty. Grass roots? Certainly a publicity opportunity. And a little left over...

So we go back to the old days when the FA hired the National Stadium again, only the NFL may well have a say on the fees this time. Will the national team get to go on tour? Could be the cost-effective option. But don't forget, we won the World Cup in a rented ground.

On 26/09/2018 at 10:18, Up The City! said:

Disgusting.

As a nation we have benefitted enormously from being THE most open trading nation in the world. But sometimes we do things that no other nation would ever contemplate such as selling ports, airports, utility companies and national stadiums to johny foreigner because of national security and national pride reasons.

Call me old fashioned.

The move was "more divisive then expected". Who would've thought! Was the prospect of some serious profiteering clouding the judgements of the council? Did the grassroots not see the chance to grow in the warm glow of the deal?

Spurs new ground apparently was designed with the possibility to be a longer-term venue for an NFL franchise. Whether that still stands might be brought to the fore now. Shahid Khan is keeping his powder dry for the time being. Will he have another iron in the fire...?  :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

The move was "more divisive then expected". Who would've thought! Was the prospect of some serious profiteering clouding the judgements of the council? Did the grassroots not see the chance to grow in the warm glow of the deal?

Spurs new ground apparently was designed with the possibility to be a longer-term venue for an NFL franchise. Whether that still stands might be brought to the fore now. Shahid Khan is keeping his powder dry for the time being. Will he have another iron in the fire...?  :ph34r:

A report I read at the weekend suggested that the outcome of the vote looked unclear with opinions split - maybe the FA have surmised that the vote may well not go their way and have agreed with Mr Khan that he pulls out to avoid any embarrassment all round.

Gary Neville's quotes on the financial benefits that the FA predicted made for enlightening reading!  

On 06/10/2018 at 09:17, havanatopia said:

Disgusting.

As a nation we have benefitted enormously from being THE most open trading nation in the world. But sometimes we do things that no other nation would ever contemplate such as selling ports, airports, utility companies and national stadiums to johny foreigner because of national security and national pride reasons.

Call me old fashioned.

How do you qualify England being the most open trading nation in the world?

Archived