IGNORED

***IMPORTANT *** Villa KO now 8pm

RedM

This is really annoying, just shows that the club again is not thinking of the people who don't live in Bristol, I have to get the train at 10 so will miss the end of the game now,

Just wish we where back to Saturday at 3 I have had to miss the game that was on Sunday as couldn't get to work on time afterwards and now not going to see the full 90 minutes tomorrow, 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

15 minutes isn’t going to make much difference. Also the people that are responsible for the ground changes . Will be very flexible in their approach. 

On a side note a work colleague who’s son works the bars at Ashton gate . Told me that all staff who worked the Bristol v Bath weekend we’re giving an extra hours pay . For there hard work . Might not seem a lot . But thought it was a good touch by Bristol sport 

Fair play BS if that's the case. Impressive and builds a good spirit. 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The reason who moving the kick off really doesn't make sense.

If people were likely to rush to get there for 7.45 because they had spent pre match in the pub, then they will surely do exactly the same for an 8pm game?

I think its more to do with the traffic and congestion in and around central Bristol / Ashton on a Friday night which is always extra busy especially now with a near sell-out, rather than an extra 15 minutes supping time

42 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The reason who moving the kick off really doesn't make sense.

.I read somewhere that they are resurfacing North Street and  tomorrow it will be closed until 4.00 pm.

So you can put money on it still being worked on at 10 past 7 and Bristol in a state of grid lock.

27 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

.I read somewhere that they are resurfacing North Street and  tomorrow it will be closed until 4.00 pm.

So you can put money on it still being worked on at 10 past 7 and Bristol in a state of grid lock.

On a Friday? They'll all be in the pub by 3 with it only half done.

38 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I believe it was going to be shut from 9.30 on Friday, but have since been told by someone who drove past earlier that it now says Saturday. Don’t quote me on this but that’s what  I heard

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Has any other team changed their fixtures so many times. Personally I don't buy the reason. Is there an event at AG during the day? An 8pm KO makes all the difference to making some trains. In the Dolman you have to leave before full time if you want to get to London.

Pros and cons to this really, it’s a useful bit of extra time for those of us tied up with work/family stuff until late afternoon.

Appreciate it’s a pain for others though. It’s the painful lack of any joined-up thinking in our transport network that’s the bigger issue.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Has any other team changed their fixtures so many times. Personally I don't buy the reason.

And likewise next season it's highly unlikely I will be buying Season Tickets. No longer worth the bother and wouldn't have bought this year had I known what was on offer.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s the painful lack of any joined-up thinking in our transport network that’s the bigger issue.

Believe me, travelling every week I'm only too happy to apportion blame to train companies and other transport operators when things go wrong, but in this instance, really?? What could ever happen? City call up GWR at 24 hours notice and suggest they organise £20m of rolling stock, ask a new shift team to book on amongst their complex rotas, and get Network Rail permission to run an additional route with all the signalling and preparation required. :)

I don't actually know what's involved but at a guess an awful lot more than the criteria City use to make spot decisions like this. No transport system - local or national - is going to be able to adjust to requirements at 24 hours. This one is on City and City alone. To be honest, there are solutions - blag a sofa etc - but it is just the usual bi-monthly reminder that operational people at City really do little or no thinking about the knock on effect on their own fans.

The only meaningful supporter-oriented gestures/consideration I can think of in recent years are a) Korey & the players (refund for Preston away in 2017) and b) Wigan (revising ticket prices for the match just gone after it got put on TV and refunding supporters). Maybe I've forgotten but I can't think of a single thing City as a club have done, that unequivocally was about reducing, not increasing the burden on supporters. All the re-arrangements certainly weren't.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

15 minutes isn’t going to make much difference.

Not true, ONE example I'll give you. 

There is a 10pm train from Parson Street going south stopping all stations to Taunton. 

All those heading that way would have had this option or stay back for the 11:12pm on the same route. 

BOTH trains are normally very full on a night game 

The change of kick off now means ALL the people going southbound will now only have the one option of the 11:12pm service. 

This service has in the past been of one carriage which has an official capacity of 72

I'm sure other people using other modes of public transport will have equal problems, which is ironic as Bristol Sport keep telling us to use public transport 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Believe me, travelling every week I'm only too happy to apportion blame to train companies and other transport operators when things go wrong, but in this instance, really?? What could ever happen? City call up GWR at 24 hours notice and suggest they organise £20m of rolling stock, ask a new shift team to book on amongst their complex rotas, and get Network Rail permission to run an additional route with all the signalling and preparation required. :)

I don't actually know what's involved but at a guess an awful lot more than the criteria City use to make spot decisions like this. No transport system - local or national - is going to be able to adjust to requirements at 24 hours. This one is on City and City alone. To be honest, there are solutions - blag a sofa etc - but it is just the usual bi-monthly reminder that operational people at City really do little or no thinking about the knock on effect on their own fans.

The only meaningful supporter-oriented gestures/consideration I can think of in recent years are a) Korey & the players (refund for Preston away in 2017) and b) Wigan (revising ticket prices for the match just gone after it got put on TV and refunding supporters). Maybe I've forgotten but I can't think of a single thing City as a club have done, that unequivocally was about reducing, not increasing the burden on supporters. All the re-arrangements certainly weren't.

Oh I absolutely agree. I wasn't suggesting for one minute that the transport companies should be able to react to a last-minute change of kick off time like this; that would be an unreasonable expectation, clearly! It was a broader point about the lack of transport late-night options for getting home for people attending anything from football to gigs to theatre.

A typical example is here in Chippenham; a mere 12 minutes from Bath on the train, but the last train back from Bath is 10:30 - so if you want to stay out past your bedtime you've no option but to take an expensive taxi. One late train would make all the difference. It's a common complaint here.

So you have my sympathy. The later kick off makes things easier for me - I have childcare pick ups before heading over to Bristol - but I would have made it anyway. For those reliant on the train it's potentially a showstopper. So on balance you have to question whether it's a smart move.

One thing no one has ever been able to explain to me is why the United QF game kicked off at 8 whereas the Man City SF game was 7:45! Same night, both on telly. Who knows.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Not true, ONE example I'll give you. 

There is a 10pm train from Parson Street going south stopping all stations to Taunton. 

All those heading that way would have had this option or stay back for the 11:12pm on the same route. 

BOTH trains are normally very full on a night game 

The change of kick off now means ALL the people going southbound will now only have the one option of the 11:12pm service. 

This service has in the past been of one carriage which has an official capacity of 72

I'm sure other people using other modes of public transport will have equal problems, which is ironic as Bristol Sport keep telling us to use public transport 

My thoughts exactly.

It's screwed my night up

3 hours ago, Olé said:

BCFC - Hey railway chaps. Just to let you know we are kicking off later tomorrow night so your trains home will be busy at different times to normal.

GWR (for they run trains) - Hey football types thanks for letting us know, but actually it makes no difference because our shareholders in the main don't watch a second tier UK football club.

BCFC - Oh bugger, that's a sticking point. Thanks for letting us know. Now we are going to have a load of people around that we didn't expect. Maybe we need to let the police know. ASP, what do you think would help.

ASP - Umm, can we bully anybody?

BCFC - Maybe. The railway were being awkward.

ASP - Right GWR, what the hell are you playing at risking public disorder by saying you cannot change you timetable on a whim.

GWR - (muttered ****) Umm, well our drivers and guards got told 8 days ago what their shifts were. Seems a bit unreasonable to change them now. I mean they might have family, friends etc. Etc

ASP - but we are the police. Do as you are told. Magic up a train and people to operate it.

GWr - will do. You are the boss ASP. By the way NWR we are running an extra train tomorrow night at xxxx.

NWR - oh yes, lovely. And what are you not running to allow this extra train to fit in to a very busy schedule 

GWR - Umm well, it's your fault NWR so just sort it cos the police are bothering us.

NWR - nowt to do with us. What are you cancelling to allow this extra train to run on our fill up railway.

GWR - ****, ****, ****. Umm, NWR we could have run it but one set of points didn't work once near London this morning.

NWR - sorry then our fault. We'll pay what we need to and you can run what you want.

GWR, ASP, Public - ******* NWR.

8 hours ago, winsaw said:

This is really annoying, just shows that the club again is not thinking of the people who don't live in Bristol, I have to get the train at 10 so will miss the end of the game now,

Just wish we where back to Saturday at 3 I have had to miss the game that was on Sunday as couldn't get to work on time afterwards and now not going to see the full 90 minutes tomorrow, 

Same for me 10.04 to Cardiff is the latest train to get me home. Was prepared to miss 10mins but now have to miss over half the second half!

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

Because the stadium maybe full we move kick off time?  When was that a reason?

Why don’t we move it to next Tuesday at 11am, traffic will be easier and there’ll be less annoying fans turning up.

Bizarre.

Just suggests that either the club can't cope with larger attendances, or they don't care about the fans.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just suggests that either the club can't cope with larger attendances, or they don't care about the fans.

Was Bristol-Bath on a Friday night put back 15 minutes at a days notice because of the large crowd and those travelling from outside Bristol? That should answer your question. Perhaps not "don't care" but certainly see football fans as most expendable. 

Incidentally I noticed last night Sky was running its 4 panel teaser for coming live matches and "Bristol City v Aston Villa" had its own panel with equal billing to the main Sky match tonight, and those over the weekend, proudly proclaiming coverage 8pm.

Technically it's red button and I'm not sure games like that normally get top billing like this - I just wonder if Sky are now trying to pitch any other EFL game as a proper broadcast, and have that sort of control of KO, to provide a symmetry to their schedules.

Archived