IGNORED

Muse playing Ashton Gate? (Merged)

Ashton Yate

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don't get how a band can be 'overrated'. Music is so subjective and personal. I can't stand a lot of music that's deemed 'popular' but that doesn't make it overrated, just means what I like isn't necessarily what the mainstream like.

True tbf,the word overrated can’t be used for anything because as you say not everyone has the same opinion 

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don't get how a band can be 'overrated'. Music is so subjective and personal. I can't stand a lot of music that's deemed 'popular' but that doesn't make it overrated, just means what I like isn't necessarily what the mainstream like.

Music “snobbery” is one of the most pathetic traits going. 

People rubbishing massively popular, multi million selling groups, just because it’s not their cup of tea. Usually, I doubt they actually even mind the music and just think it’s cool to knock it. 

Going out of one’s way to put down particular music, smacks of attention seeking and bandwagon jumping. 

Each to their own. If you don’t like it, don’t listen. 

Gotta be the gate shirley? ? He could be turning into an old age headbanger like me.?  hated rock music til i got into me late 50.s. Now go all over the country with my 2 lads. Thinking about it. If muse don't play, "nightwish" would be an awesome crack. (saw them in brum..one of the best concerts i've seen,amazing night)

21 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Got to be honest, I've never heard of them. It's great to see artists that obviously have a big following coming to Bristol. 

If they are at the gate it will be further good publicity for the club and Bristol sport which is great

Really? They’re quite a big act! Not really my thing though. 

Great news.

I got asked to accompany a friend to a intimate gig in Hammersmith before they were famous and i was absolutely blown away, highly skilled musicians and i have been a fan ever since.

I appreciate Muse isn't every ones cup of tea but you won't find many bands that would be better to watch live.

Saw them at the Ricoh a few years back. I remember the night before people were calling talksport saying the Ricoh stadium was on fire but it turned out to be Muse rehearsing and testing all of their stage set up (they had 2 massive bits of kit that flames fired out of)

They are soooo good live. Matt Bellamy is unbelievably talented. Yeah a lot of people who loved their earlier stuff don’t really like their more recent albums but they’ve evolved as a group as they’ve aged and I still love their stuff. I’d highly recommend anyone to go if they can get a ticket. 

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Do ah middle aged women go to their gigs? Asking for a fiend.

We'll I'll be there my fiendishly friend and I'm 32. Is this middle aged enough?

Will be accompanied by my 6ft absolute unit of a hubby though (he's a huge Muse fan) so I'm off limits to clarify. :P

5 hours ago, paignton red said:

I said on this forum about a year ago i would seriously boo if muse were not selected to play at the gate.... Looks like mr lansdown took notice..??

Or a certain Mr Kelly that I pelted on here and Twitter... sorry Mark. :thumbsup:

For all those asking re venue, this might give some perspective...

They come from Devon and Bristol is currently the only gig closest to their hometown. They are revered in Teignmouth and South Devon so expect lots of Devonshire accents.

As to where, did you know Muse were the first band to sell out the new Wembley Stadium? Yep. 90,000 people.

So a band capable of selling out flipping Wembo ain't gonna be playing the Colston Hall now are they? It's obvious where it's gonna be but until dates are announced, no venues can be confirmed.

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Two words: Ed and Sheeran.  I rest my case.

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

This thread is the first I’ve heard of them, feeling slightly uneducated in the world of rock now...

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

Headlined Glastonbury a few years ago, so they are quite well known!

5 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Brilliant and lyrics that are apt for this time.

They were our pre-match song for a fair while, about 4/5 years ago. 

During the relegation battles, so probably a year or 2 more than that ..! 

10 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Again, much like muse, he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but that doesn’t stop him being incredibly good at what he does. 

I’m not sure I’d use the term ‘incredibly good’.  Don’t underestimate the powers of the media to hype a performer, and don’t underestimate the willingness of the public to buy into it.  I would argue that there is good music that I like and good music that I don’t like, and that there is also something which is bad music.  Sadly the bad music can be as popular as good music.  Bad music can be poorly crafted, devoid of artistry and development, and superficial and shallow.  But you’re right that it’s all subjective and nothing will stop people liking music that they really really shouldn’t. ;-). And I’m a musician who has liked some weird, wonderful and occasionally banal things over the years.

41 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

This means Ashton Gate is nailed on imo, just not announced yet. Looking at the other stadiums on that list, they are some of the biggest in the world. Ashton Gate is the only venue in Bristol which can hold anywhere near that number.

Yup, 2nd to 7th June fits in. 

Archived