IGNORED

The Red button affect

Between heaven and hell

I would be interested to know just how many City fans were actually in the stadium last night and how many stayed at home or in the pub to watch the game on the red button.

The crowd was given as 24 thousand something,  meaning there should have been around 3 thousand empty seats in the stadium.  Well looking from my position in the Dolman across to the Lansdown and sweeping  around to the South stand i couldn't believe how many empty seats there were.

Clearly the people missing from last nights game are season ticket holders so my points are as follows :-

a  if this red button viewing is going to continue what will it do for season ticket sales next year. So many games are not on a Saturday now it's becoming so easy to watch the City play from the comfort of the sofa.

b. Will the club be forced to reduce the price of ticket sales for non season ticket holders, for example why will people continue to pay £30 plus to watch games like last night .

All a bit worrying in my opinion.

I was one. 

Before this season,very very rarely ever missed a midweek match. 

My issues are often quoted- too expensive potd,Bristol traffic( meaning I have to leave work at 16.30, to get back home to north Bristol, shower change, pick up mates, then another hour or so to get back into town),then the nightmare of trying to find somewhere to park. 

I know all these could be avoided( ie go straight to the game after work), but to be able to have a hassle free experience, watching the game in the comfort of my own home, then I’m sorry, I’ll stick with the red button 

12 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

I was one. 

My issues are often quoted- too expensive potd,Bristol traffic( meaning I have to leave work at 16.30, to get back home to north Bristol, shower change, pick up mates, then another hour or so to get back into town),then the nightmare of trying to find somewhere to park. 

I know all these could be avoided( ie go straight to the game after work), but to be able to have a hassle free experience, watching the game in the comfort of my own home, then I’m sorry, I’ll stick with the red button 

I feel your pain with the transport side of it mate. We leave Tetbury at 5pm for an 8 o'clock kick off and that's with a just park booked in advance. People will say that's early but you just can't predict the traffic  chaos.

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

I would be interested to know just how many City fans were actually in the stadium last night and how many stayed at home or in the pub to watch the game on the red button.

The crowd was given as 24 thousand something,  meaning there should have been around 3 thousand empty seats in the stadium.  Well looking from my position in the Dolman across to the Lansdown and sweeping  around to the South stand i couldn't believe how many empty seats there were.

Clearly the people missing from last nights game are season ticket holders so my points are as follows :-

a  if this red button viewing is going to continue what will it do for season ticket sales next year. So many games are not on a Saturday now it's becoming so easy to watch the City play from the comfort of the sofa.

b. Will the club be forced to reduce the price of ticket sales for non season ticket holders, for example why will people continue to pay £30 plus to watch games like last night .

All a bit worrying in my opinion.

Multiplying the 'official attendance' which is 'tickets sold' by around 85-90% to get the expected pre-red button effect attendance would put the crowd at about 21-21.5k? I think you could have got the upper Lansdown crowd into the rest of the home parts last night, so maybe an additional 1,000 (5%) stayed away??

You are definitely right to be worried though. The availability of official streams (semi-official if you have a vpn) and red-button games combined with high potd/casual fan ticket prices does seem like a long term disaster. I expect City will try to raise prices to cover any deficits rather than putting them down :(

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Multiplying the 'official attendance' which is 'tickets sold' by around 85-90% to get the expected pre-red button effect attendance would put the crowd at about 21-21.5k? I think you could have got the upper Lansdown crowd into the rest of the home parts last night, so maybe an additional 1,000 (5%) stayed away??

You are definitely right to be worried though. The availability of official streams (semi-official if you have a vpn) and red-button games combined with high potd/casual fan ticket prices does seem like a long term disaster. I expect City will try to raise prices to cover any deficits rather than putting them down :(

I bought a ticket but didn’t sit in my purchased seat....sat in My usual seat without joe.  So in effect 3 seats booked, but only one sat in.

23 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Roads and parking have a lot to do with it 

I didn`t make last night as I was ill (normally would have been there) but was thinking that, whilst I haven`t fallen out of love with football and I will always support City wholeheartedly, the actual match day `experience` is beginning to wear me down in many ways - it`s becoming like a military operation. I live 120 miles away and have the M5 traffic followed by the desperate search for parking anywhere closer than a mile from the ground if I don`t get there before 5:30. Then, at the end of the game, you have to time your exit to avoid getting stuck in the crush to get out as, if you do, you can add twenty minutes to the journey back to the motorway and then not get home till 12:30 - 1:00. When you have to be up at 5 for work it`s not much fun especially if it`s been a crap game.

I`m afraid the red button is seeming a very nice alternative TBH and, whilst I will almost certainly get a season ticket as usual, can see me missing quite a few games when they`re available on that. I`m certainly going to be considering very carefully whether I go to night matches in January/February when it`s icy and snowy.

The club won`t lose out by me not being there though - I never buy anything in the ground and they`ll have my ticket money anyway.

1 hour ago, Spoonbed said:

Cleaning your coins seems a bit excessive - cut that out and save a few minutes ;)

Back on topic....if the Red button is thought to be a success by Sky and continues into next season then it could also start to affect season tickets sales. People might start doing the maths and decide that it is better to pick and choose games to attend.

26 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think it will hurt away attendances but not home attendances.  I am 60/40 about going to Rotherham next week as can watch it at home. Probably still go but if red button wasnt a thing it would be 100% go

I'm the same with Rotherham. I can do it in a couple of hours from where I am but the prospect of not trekking over there on a weeknight when I've got work the following day and watching it on the telly instead is very tempting. 

5 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Cleaning your coins seems a bit excessive - cut that out and save a few minutes ;)

Back on topic....if the Red button is thought to be a success by Sky and continues into next season then it could also start to affect season tickets sales. People might start doing the maths and decide that it is better to pick and choose games to attend.

Exactly my point Reigate Red, I can't see if this continues  how the club can continue their current pricing policy as people just won't bother and just pick and choose games to attend.

5 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

This is the biggest danger, as I see it. 

It’s hard to know what the impact will be until season tickets go on sale. 

I think next season could see a significant drop. Especially as it’s not just midweek games, but all these other weekend arrangements allowing coverage. 

4 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Exactly my point Reigate Red, I can't see if this continues  how the club can continue their current pricing policy as people just won't bother and just pick and choose games to attend.

Apologies, just re-read your post and all I have effectively done is repeat it :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

I feel your pain with the transport side of it mate. We leave Tetbury at 5pm for an 8 o'clock kick off and that's with a just park booked in advance. People will say that's early but you just can't predict the traffic  chaos.

The sad thing is, that there’s very little, if anything, the club can do about it. 

High praise to SL for the whole stadium experience,just wish the council had the same vision as him

38 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think it will hurt away attendances but not home attendances.  I am 60/40 about going to Rotherham next week as can watch it at home. Probably still go but if red button wasnt a thing it would be 100% go

I was going to Rotherham, but with the club not putting on any coaches, meaning I have no way of getting there and back I'm going to watch it at the pub, real shame

1 hour ago, Spoonbed said:

I was one. 

considering the large crowd, approaching from pill last night and going home could not believe how light the traffic was, this lack of parking and rpz thing has really effected the number of people going to games by car, at least from my perspective.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I dont think it will affect season tickets much. Its not an amazing viewing experience on the red button

probably better angle than a lot at the actual ground though, a lot nearer to the actual being there to me rather than the constant slo mo's and multiple replays camera angles etc.

It will affect season ticket sales next season.

I won't be renewing unless prices come down to reflect the cost of watching online for a £10 or getting Sky.

As much as I like being there and cheering on my team, if I'm going to save a considerable amount it's worth considering.

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I dont think it will affect season tickets much. Its not an amazing viewing experience on the red button

I agree, it is not a great experience on the red button. Appears to be a single camera. Also you can't record, pause rewind or replay and the commentary is pretty woeful if you are a City fan.

However, if Sky decide in future to include these items to improve the experience, I think there may be cause for concern.

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I don't understand why people buy a ST, then watch it on the box? (Assuming they are ST holders)

Most people perceive a season ticket and football being Saturdays at 3pm, yet now we have many night games (people getting to them from work is hassle), Sunday games, traffic nightmare in and around Bristol. Or no hassle and watch at home or pub with a few mates. I would rather go myself but can see why people don't bother.

42 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This is the biggest danger, as I see it. 

It’s hard to know what the impact will be until season tickets go on sale. 

I think next season could see a significant drop. Especially as it’s not just midweek games, but all these other weekend arrangements allowing coverage. 

I think there will be a drop unless we have a very good end to the season. It is just too easy and cheap to watch elsewhere when half of the games are not Saturday 3pm kick offs.

26 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Parking will become irrelevant soon when we can all fly in by drone?

Shame the club hasn’t got space for a multi storey car park which could also be used for an alternative park n ride in the week. 

I hope if we ever get a multi storey car park they plan it with a few exits and dedicated roads to get out efficiently. 

Archived