IGNORED

The Red button affect

Between heaven and hell

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I think it will hurt away attendances but not home attendances.  I am 60/40 about going to Rotherham next week as can watch it at home. Probably still go but if red button wasnt a thing it would be 100% go

It will 

For those with travel pains , health probs , etc etc those who make that extra effort at the moment , certainly some of us older fanbase

Take @Red Right Hand who has , so well , and understandably explained , in his case 

For those who don’t take in the few beers whole evening experience and start to weigh up the game experience against the any negative issues , cost ....more likely getting to AG , traffic and parking

It will start to bite

@Davefevs is spot on though, the loss in numbers / revenue will be covered by the tv deal (Don’t we get £7 million per season now )

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For those who don’t take in the few beers whole evening experience and start to weigh up the game experience against the any negative issues , cost ....more likely getting to AG , traffic and parking

It will start to bite

Exactly. Me or mate won't leave at a stupid time just to get a car parking space which could be a mile away from the ground,, and even if we do we have a couple of hours basically hanging around as cannot drink due to driving etc (I am not a fan of pubs and soft drinks myself)!! So last night we got a taxi down and back and it was over £50. Granted there are cheaper options, but the public transport is generally poor in Bristol, and yesterday would have been even worse than normal. If there is another Friday evening game I will be going alone no doubt - and there were also 3 by us in the Dolman who didn't bother.

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Exactly. Me or mate won't leave at a stupid time just to get a car parking space which could be a mile away from the ground,, and even if we do we have a couple of hours basically hanging around as cannot drink due to driving etc (I am not a fan of pubs and soft drinks myself)!! So last night we got a taxi down and back and it was over £50. Granted there are cheaper options, but the public transport is generally poor in Bristol, and yesterday would have been even worse than normal. If there is another Friday evening game I will be going alone no doubt - and there were also 3 by us in the Dolman who didn't bother.

I got there earlier than normal, went to the coffee shop and met up with an OTIB poster.  Had a lovely natter for about an hour or so before the game.  The time flew by.

59 minutes ago, jayjay said:

I agree, it is not a great experience on the red button. Appears to be a single camera. Also you can't record, pause rewind or replay and the commentary is pretty woeful if you are a City fan.

However, if Sky decide in future to include these items to improve the experience, I think there may be cause for concern.

Pause and rewind is definitely something you can do....used it for replays for the west brom game, albeit from the same camera.

It's a no brainer .... my son and myself enjoyed a few beers sat in front of the TV ... with a takeaway ... perfect evening .... no driving 30 miles with parking issues and £35 tickets and crap/expensive drinks and arriving home at 1130pm ... and what a dreary game?!  The only issue with red button is one camera and one commentator and no replays and no crowd noise ...  BCFC should be encouraging real support by offering or finding free parking for fans or free buses from BTM or negotiating with FGW for late night trains from Parson Street ... I would rather face a filling from my dentist than drive from Trowbridge into Bristol on a Friday night ... seriously.

1 hour ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Pause and rewind is definitely something you can do....used it for replays for the west brom game, albeit from the same camera.

Thanks, I'll try it on Wednesday. I thought I had tried before but as you only get the actual game with barely anything else, I have been scared to try in case I messed up. I am not too savvy with modern technology.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

Drove straight from work in Noth Bristol. Parked up in RPZ after 5pm so no charge. Then went for a  meal. Less than £50. Also you get the atmosphere of being in the ground . Didn't get home till late but luckily could lie in this morning. 

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You can`t mate but the red button option does make it easier to decide to not go if you live a long way away/have an early start at work/the weather`s crap/you`re short of a few quid and that is the point I think.

Fair enough but anyone living in or on outskirts of Bristol not renewing would be an odd decision

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Surprised by some opinions on here. Cant beat actually going to the game!

You're right, of course. And the red button coverage is very basic. But there is a price to pay for the much better experience of being at the game (unless you live within walking distance of the ground). For me that either meant taking the bus - leaving the house around 6.00, I imagine, and getting home well after 11.00, or driving down early enough to get a parking space within a reasonable distance of the ground and then having a couple of hours to kill before going to the game. As I didn't particularly want to have a meal and wasn't fussed about having any beer, I decided that I'd rather stay at home than do either of these. I won't always do that, but I've never really liked going to games on a Friday. My travel issues are insignificant compared to many City fans, but I expect there will be other times when I decide to accept a second best viewing experience in order to avoid the hassle of getting to and from the game.

If the red button option hadn't been available, I would have been at the game. I can't imagine this on its own will stop me getting a ST in future, as I go with a group, and it would be difficult or impossible for us to get organised enough to sit together for odd games. But it wouldn't surprise me if a few ST holders didn't renew on account of the red button option.

What a bonus it is to be able to watch so many away games, though!

19 minutes ago, lager loud said:

You're right, of course. And the red button coverage is very basic. But there is a price to pay for the much better experience of being at the game (unless you live within walking distance of the ground). For me that either meant taking the bus - leaving the house around 6.00, I imagine, and getting home well after 11.00, or driving down early enough to get a parking space within a reasonable distance of the ground and then having a couple of hours to kill before going to the game. As I didn't particularly want to have a meal and wasn't fussed about having any beer, I decided that I'd rather stay at home than do either of these. I won't always do that, but I've never really liked going to games on a Friday. My travel issues are insignificant compared to many City fans, but I expect there will be other times when I decide to accept a second best viewing experience in order to avoid the hassle of getting to and from the game.

If the red button option hadn't been available, I would have been at the game. I can't imagine this on its own will stop me getting a ST in future, as I go with a group, and it would be difficult or impossible for us to get organised enough to sit together for odd games. But it wouldn't surprise me if a few ST holders didn't renew on account of the red button option.

This is exactly it mate, it gives fans another option if they`re struggling to make the game and makes things a bit easier to still see the it when actually attending is incredibly difficult. Like you, I`ll still get a season ticket but I suspect I will miss a few more games than I have done before due to it being available.

1 hour ago, lager loud said:

Don’t forget you only need to DM me for a lift home....it’s 5 minutes more for me.  I can’t promise sandwiches though!!  Serious offer though Chris.

2 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

When they’re the feature live game they get paid but do they get paid at all for these red button games if so I can’t imagine it’s much at all. 

It’s the overall tv deal....the money they get from tv was something like £7-8m and will increase this season.....our match day revenue overall is less.  The increase will outweigh the loss is in ticket sales / pies lost.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s the overall tv deal....the money they get from tv was something like £7-8m and will increase this season.....our match day revenue overall is less.  The increase will outweigh the loss is in ticket sales / pies lost.

Or put it another way and working on an average ticket price of £25 if my maths is ok

we’d need ......280000 extra fans at AG over the season !!!! to replace that income ...or about 11000 every home game !!..

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Or put it another way and working on an average ticket price of £25 if my maths is ok

we’d need ......280000 extra fans at AG over the season !!!! to replace that income ...or about 11000 every home game !!..

The increase in money is about 25-35%, so another couple of million....so probably about 3000 lost fans for City to be worse off.  My maths might be out though.

7 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I don't understand why people buy a ST, then watch it on the box? (Assuming they are ST holders)

250 mile round trip, £60 petrol, Friday night M4, Bristol (a city who don't want visitors and actively make it difficult to park within a country mile of the ground,) can't enjoy a beer......

Plus yesterday, rather than leave early I had the pick of a decent afternoon' s racing at Newmarket, Ryder Cup on the box, comfy sofa, tons of relaxation and cold, decent quality drinks to hand.

Transpired a poor quality, scrappy affair looked as unappetising on the box as it will have done live.

Your point however is valid, had I known how much City would have shifted games around this year I wouldn't have bothered buying a season ticket.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The increase in money is about 25-35%, so another couple of million....so probably about 3000 lost fans for City to be worse off.  My maths might be out though.

That’s more relevant - the increase

I didn’t know what it was but so comparing the tv money in total

Dont think Clubs will be turning the tv money , and agreements , down anytime soon !

5 hours ago, wood_red said:

JustPark fixes all of these problems. I’m surprised there are still so many people who haven’t cottoned on.

5 hours ago, swampy said:

It's a no brainer .... my son and myself enjoyed a few beers sat in front of the TV ... with a takeaway ... perfect evening .... no driving 30 miles with parking issues and £35 tickets and crap/expensive drinks and arriving home at 1130pm ... and what a dreary game?!  The only issue with red button is one camera and one commentator and no replays and no crowd noise ...  BCFC should be encouraging real support by offering or finding free parking for fans or free buses from BTM or negotiating with FGW for late night trains from Parson Street ... I would rather face a filling from my dentist than drive from Trowbridge into Bristol on a Friday night ... seriously.

I’m amazed by some of these responses. It’s only a no brainer if you don’t appreciate the unique appeal of live football.

I left Chippenham at 5:30pm, went via Yate to pick up my Dad and was still parked up within 75 minutes of leaving home - even with some bad traffic around Temple Meads. Parking cost me £6 using JustPark which removes the anxiety of finding a space. 

The atmosphere, actually, wasn’t bad last night despite a fairly ordinary game. And my 7 year old son, who has only recently discovered football, absolutely loved it. No amount of televised football would put the same smile on his face, and for me the joy of being there with him easily makes it all worthwhile.

I do wonder if people who are happy to stay at home and watch on telly really value the game in the same way as those of us who’d always rather be there.

I've got a ticket for the Wednesday game but is tempting to stay at home and watch via the red button. However, what just about wins out is that when I'm watching at the ground I am my own director. I choose where to look it isn't chosen for me. A small point, I know, but a good one nevertheless.

I do believe, however, that we will reach the point where EVERY City game is available to watch via Sky or the City website via an extra subscription. More money will be accumulated through this than could be achieved with a live, bums on seats, audience, so it won't be worrying if attendances drop because those paying to view the match will be increasing and be more lucrative.

Finally, to increase the attendance at matches why not have a green button available on each seat (the red button would be hard to find). By pressing it the viewer can see what is happening at their home while they are at the match. Of course, this could be bad news if the other half is, as it were, exploiting one's absence to indulge in an extramarital affair. Mind you, the other buttons could then have that as an option to view instead of one's own home and attendances might jump through the roof.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

JustPark fixes all of these problems. I’m surprised there are still so many people who haven’t cottoned on.

Whilst it’s a handy app, it’s also adds another £5-£20 to park in a handy location. When you consider that old fuddy duddies like me , used to park on the Cumberland basin for free, and take a gentle 5minue stroll across the park, you can see the issues the club faces. 

2 hours ago, Spoonbed said:

Whilst it’s a handy app, it’s also adds another £5-£20 to park in a handy location. When you consider that old fuddy duddies like me , used to park on the Cumberland basin for free, and take a gentle 5minue stroll across the park, you can see the issues the club faces. 

I was responding to a post which was saying they would have to leave home very early to find a space and then have hours to kill before the game, and their answer was a £50 taxi. Yet JustPark offers a solution for less than a tenner.

Archived